• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Houston and Chiefs agree on record contract for LBers

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty similar to the Maclin deal in structure. Quite a bit more front-load happy as opposed to when Dorsey threw money at Bowe with the justification being to prop up the WR corp (lol).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the guaranteed money appears to be frontloaded. 2018-2020 is mostly imaginary money if Houston falls apart all of the sudden. Makes sense since the cap space in 2016 was enormous outside of Houston; and they'll still have 20M+ to work with in that offseason for Poe. The all-in investment at CB with Gaines, Peters, and Nelson should make the soon to be 30+ YO Sean Smith expendable this next offseason. Fairly comfortable with the financials of this contract. 17% of the cap is just about what Freeney got, so I am content there as well.

I'm a big fan of this style of deal. IT seems like the best teams work to not back load a contract knowing that can quickly get them in trouble. The Broncos frontloaded DT's contract as well making it much easier to get out of without completely handcuffing the team. Throw in then no one year brings about a huge cap hit that the team has to work around. I would also say with both DT and Houston good chance in the next 2-3 years they go from top-2 or 3 of their position in salary to somewhere in the 7-10 range. With the Salary Cap going up as much as it is contracts will just get more and more crazy and by the time our teams get to that 3rd and 4th year of this deal it could look like a huge bargain honestly.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of this style of deal. IT seems like the best teams work to not back load a contract knowing that can quickly get them in trouble. The Broncos frontloaded DT's contract as well making it much easier to get out of without completely handcuffing the team. Throw in then no one year brings about a huge cap hit that the team has to work around. I would also say with both DT and Houston good chance in the next 2-3 years they go from top-2 or 3 of their position in salary to somewhere in the 7-10 range. With the Salary Cap going up as much as it is contracts will just get more and more crazy and by the time our teams get to that 3rd and 4th year of this deal it could look like a huge bargain honestly.

What do you think about this deal in regard to Von Miller's contract? Will it make it higher than he normally would have asked? Will the structure be similar?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about this deal in regard to Von Miller's contract? Will it make it higher than he normally would have asked? Will the structure be similar?

Honestly I had Von Miller pegged for around that $16 million mark per yer. Structure wise I could see it being similar. I do think there will be a few more incentives within the contract as Miller has 2 strikes against him and another stupid mistake gets him suspended for a year. So I think the Broncos will work to protect themselves just a bit more from something like that completely destroying the team. The other part that will be different will be the signing bonus. The Broncos are not big in handing out big signing bonuses so look for that to be about half of what Houston got. All-in-all when I saw the Houston deal my first thought was "yup that is about what I had pegged for Miller next year." I'm just hoping he doesn't go out and have this ridiculous season that makes him think he deserves a ton more than that. I think the Broncos will do whatever it takes to keep him but it does seem these guys just want to one up the guy from the year before. I don't mind the Broncos paying a little more just hope it doesn't take a crazy amount to get it done.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one curious thing is the Chiefs elected to make a contract that gave them roughly 8.6M in cap space- bit much for a "extra gas money" fund for the season. Another move might be coming.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one curious thing is the Chiefs elected to make a contract that gave them roughly 8.6M in cap space- bit much for a "extra gas money" fund for the season. Another move might be coming.

I would say they would be working to carry it over. Not really any players right now worth signing. Maybe a couple on cut down days. I would say though saving that about $9 million for next year makes his cap hit of $19.1 that much easier to then also sign Poe. Looking at his Cap Numbers just now I didn't realize they had it as high as they did for a 4-year stretch. I thought they would put a little more in that first year like you did.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say they would be working to carry it over. Not really any players right now worth signing. Maybe a couple on cut down days. I would say though saving that about $9 million for next year makes his cap hit of $19.1 that much easier to then also sign Poe. Looking at his Cap Numbers just now I didn't realize they had it as high as they did for a 4-year stretch. I thought they would put a little more in that first year like you did.

I read someone who claimed to know something (nobody does) about adding Evan Mathis. I know Andy Reid said he wasn't looking at him, unlike any claim he wasn't looking at food, I believed him. But now, Mathis has gone awhile without a contract so maybe the dollars go down? Plus, there was a chance that the Chiefs would have (little to) no money left if they didn't sign and structure Houston's contract that way. Restructure Smith to sign Mathis? No. But sign Houston, free up 8M, and sign Mathis? Maybe.

What do you guys think about rollover and do you thing the NFLPA wanted to not have it, to force teams to spend NOW (overpay) or do they just think money rolled over would help overpay next year to meet the minimum salary requirements?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read someone who claimed to know something (nobody does) about adding Evan Mathis. I know Andy Reid said he wasn't looking at him, unlike any claim he wasn't looking at food, I believed him. But now, Mathis has gone awhile without a contract so maybe the dollars go down? Plus, there was a chance that the Chiefs would have (little to) no money left if they didn't sign and structure Houston's contract that way. Restructure Smith to sign Mathis? No. But sign Houston, free up 8M, and sign Mathis? Maybe.

What do you guys think about rollover and do you thing the NFLPA wanted to not have it, to force teams to spend NOW (overpay) or do they just think money rolled over would help overpay next year to meet the minimum salary requirements?
While a rollover seems most likely, theoretically a move can be made too. I tend to think Smith's restructure clause is more emergency gas money if something compelling comes up. So much so I think they'll cut Chase Daniel before invoking a restructure. Not totally convinced that compelling guy is Mathis for them at his age.

As far as the union is concerned, I doubt they mind too much so long as guys like Poe get paid with said cap rollover.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they mind too much about the roll over. It eventually has to be spent and the best teams in the league try to have that $5-8 million in roll over. I could see them thinking about Mathis and maybe that is the big part of this and how they structured it. I though think with the Chiefs being the closest to the Cap before this deal was done viewed this as their way of getting that security if a big injury happens during the season and having to pay for the new player to come in. Throw in then anything not used this year like I said helps things out that much more next year.