• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Houston and Chiefs agree on record contract for LBers

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops the price for Bobby Wagoneer just went up.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with such large contracts is it is very hard for the player to ever live up to it. At this point he has had one outstanding year with 2 good years and an average year. Before this past season he was averaging a little over 8 sacks a season. With Hali getting older I could see more teams working to stop Houston now making it very hard for him to reproduce the numbers that he did this past season. He definitely picked a great year to have such an amazing season.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is a good player, sure, but that's way to much money for him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he has been about as effective/effecient an OLB as there is the past two years outside of an gimp elbow to close out 2013- not coincidently, that 2013 group fell off a cliff when Houston (and Hali) were out.

I just don't see the alternative here? Two first round picks is not really equivalent value for a guy whom's career arc so far is consistent with elite and/or HOF passrushers in their first 4 years. Yeah, there's an opportunity cost, but you're going to be hard pressed to find someone outside of QB who is as valuable as an elite passrushing (and really all around) OLB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No it's not.

The cap is jumping by incredible leaps and the new CBA has greatly reduced how much most teams spend on rookie contracts so there is actually a much bigger % of the cap that goes to vet contracts than there every has been.

This contract is going to be par for the course for keeping players like Houston moving forward.

At only 26 years old and with elite production already under his belt, Houston is one of the most valuable pieces in the league (that doesn't play QB). He deserves an elite deal and this is the new elite deal levels at the NFL. Hell IMO he might have actually accepted quite a bit little less than he could have gotten by just playing the tag out this year and doing this again next offseason.

This contract in terms of cap % is actually the exact same deal as Freeney signed for your Colt's back in the day and, unlike Houston who is coming off of one of the best years in the history of the league, Freeney was coming off a down year. And it's not like that Freeney contract was ever truly an albatross. The Colts still had money to keep an elite QB, two elite WR's, an elite safety (at least when signed), and fill in some gaps after that.

People get too carried away with saying that is too much money. That is NOT too much money for a pass rusher like Houston in today's league. KC fans should be very happy today IMO.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not.

The cap is jumping by incredible leaps and the new CBA has greatly reduced how much most teams spend on rookie contracts so there is actually a much bigger % of the cap that goes to vet contracts than there every has been.

This contract is going to be par for the course for keeping players like Houston moving forward.

At only 26 years old and with elite production already under his belt, Houston is one of the most valuable pieces in the league (that doesn't play QB). He deserves an elite deal and this is the new elite deal levels at the NFL. Hell IMO he might have actually accepted quite a bit little less than he could have gotten by just playing the tag out this year and doing this again next offseason.

This contract in terms of cap % is actually the exact same deal as Freeney signed for your Colt's back in the day and, unlike Houston who is coming off of one of the best years in the history of the league, Freeney was coming off a down year. And it's not like that Freeney contract was ever truly an albatross. The Colts still had money to keep an elite QB, two elite WR's, an elite safety (at least when signed), and fill in some gaps after that.

People get too carried away with saying that is too much money. That is NOT too much money for a pass rusher like Houston in today's league. KC fans should be very happy today IMO.
This was my first impression as well, but I want to see details before I gush too much.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit

Good for Houston

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my first impression as well, but I want to see details before I gush too much.

I'd be gushing considering the season Houston is coming off of.

Just look at the other contracts that were signed around the league this offseason.

You could have went from Houston to a serviceable guy like Jerry Hughes and all it would have saved the Chiefs is enough money to bring back a guy like Brandon Flowers or move to a Tramon Williams. I take the Houston option every time if I am the Chiefs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the ACTUAL contract?

If its 5 years $50 million, with a sixth year team option for $51 million, then cool.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn that's a lot of money. Not worth it but I guess if u want to keep him u had to do it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops the price for Bobby Wagoneer just went up.
Wagner^ sorry I had a good friend that spelt it the other way.
Also I realize LBs fall into 3 catagories when they talk contracts. Suffice to say BW is one of the dominant ILB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner^ sorry I had a good friend that spelt it the other way.
Also I realize LBs fall into 3 catagories when they talk contracts. Suffice to say BW is one of the dominant ILB.

Every inside LB (and every agent for an ILB) in the league did backflips when GB moved Clay Matthews to inside backer.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I swear I have seen QB contracts richer than that. How is this the second richest contract in NFL history with only a non-QB leading the way in Suh? Even at 6 years 101 million, that is only $16.8 million per year. Don't most the elite QB's make $20+ million a year, haven't several QB's signed contracts that were greater than $100 million? QB's that come to mind are: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Flacco....hell even Andy Dalton signed a 6 year deal worth as much as $115 million a couple years ago. I don't understand. Are QB's just not part of the league anymore or what?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I have seen QB contracts richer than that. How is this the second richest contract in NFL history with only a non-QB leading the way in Suh? Even at 6 years 101 million, that is only $16.8 million per year. Don't most the elite QB's make $20+ million a year, haven't several QB's signed contracts that were greater than $100 million? QB's that come to mind are: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Flacco....hell even Andy Dalton signed a 6 year deal worth as much as $115 million a couple years ago. I don't understand. Are QB's just not part of the league anymore or what?

Just wait until Wilson and Luck get new contracts.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pass rushers cost a lot.

Calling him a linebacker instead of a pass rusher is really sports journalism at its worst. So friggin dramatic.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pass rushers cost a lot.

Calling him a linebacker instead of a pass rusher is really sports journalism at its worst. So friggin dramatic.
I agree but...I don't know. I watch his tape and I see a really good player but I don't see a franchise player. I think Poe is the best player on that defense and you could plug in pass rushers behind him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the guaranteed money appears to be frontloaded. 2018-2020 is mostly imaginary money if Houston falls apart all of the sudden. Makes sense since the cap space in 2016 was enormous outside of Houston; and they'll still have 20M+ to work with in that offseason for Poe. The all-in investment at CB with Gaines, Peters, and Nelson should make the soon to be 30+ YO Sean Smith expendable this next offseason. Fairly comfortable with the financials of this contract. 17% of the cap is just about what Freeney got, so I am content there as well.