• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just plain crazy... (2024 Big 10 preview thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern California

The first preview segment for the Big 10 Conference: The USC Trojans

Last season: ...That above line just drives me crazy! USC in the freakin' Big 10. I know this is all about the money for USC and that they needed a new fancy home after the PAC-12 failed them, but this is just sad.
You know what else was sad? USC's defense in 2023. I mean, it held opponents to under 30 points a game only TWICE last year. That is GARBAGE! So much so that not even Caleb Williams could do anything to save it.

Good news: Well, at least USC's defense won't get any worse in 2024; it's got a new coordinator and a whole bunch of new guys (thanks to the portal). WR Zachariah Branch looks ready to break out as a star, and either Miller Moss or Jayden Maiava can lead the show at QB.

Bad news: Sadly, neither of those guys are Caleb Williams, who is now gone to try to save the Chicago Bears. Oh, and there are other problems on offense that needs to be fixed; the running game is a mystery and the O-line still looks a bit suspect.

Key games:
9/1 vs. LSU [in Las Vegas] (Wait a minute. USC is facing a team trying to fix their crappy defense... and is also missing a generational QB. This game may not be as one-sided as I feared!)
9/21 @ Michigan (I'm sure the casual fan will go ga-ga for this regular-season game. Me, I'll be waiting to see what USC's offense will do against that Michigan defense.)
10/12 vs. Penn State (Another regular-season game that casual fans will flock to their TV's to see.)
11/23 @ UCLA (At least the end of USC's schedule looks normal. The Trojans will look to get revenge against a UCLA team that basically shut them down last year...)
11/30 vs. Notre Dame (...before finishing things off with the hated Irish.)

Bottom line: In 2022, we were all excited when Lincoln Riley stepped onto the USC campus. But now? The boosters are grumbling that Lincoln doesn't go to meet them, or that Lincoln doesn't speak to people on campus. The move into the crowded Big 10 just makes things more complicated for USC. So how will Lincoln handle this? Can he get the defense to play a little bit better? Can he get a whole bunch of newbies to generate a proud offense?
Just know that the Vegas sharks has USC's preseason win total at 7.5 right now. If USC doesn't go over on that line, Lincoln Riley will be in BIG trouble come 2025.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue

Preview segment: The Purdue Boilermakers

Last season: For USC, their situation is tense and complicated. But for Purdue, their situation is simple. They're just looking to do better after a rough 4-8 campaign in 2023.

Good news: Purdue has some good individual pieces; QB Hudson Card showed flashes of greatness last year, and RB Devin Mockobee can become a real workhorse. The secondary is led by sensational newcomer Dillion Thieneman.

Bad news: The O-line could stand to do better, and the pass-rush needs an upgrade. The kicking game was worse than awful for Purdue last year, so obviously that HAS to be fixed.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Notre Dame (Hudson Card vs. Riley Leonard. Sounds like a fun time in West Lafayette!)
9/28 vs. Nebraska (Purdue's Big 10 opener this year is against the Cornhuskers. Let's see if Purdue can stop Nebraska's wiz-kid QB Dylan Raiola.)
10/12 @ Illinois (Purdue was able to beat Illinois for the Purdue Cannon last year.)
10/19 vs. Oregon (This is a weird spot for the Boilermakers; not only do they have to go to Oregon State, they'll be hosting their rivals in the Ducks.)
11/30 @ Indiana (An in-state rivalry game on the road to end the year: Always a tough thing for a team to deal with.)

Bottom line: Poor Boilermakers. I mean, most of their press clippings suggest that they'll do better in Ryan Winters' 2nd year leading the team. But they got one of the toughest schedules in the Big 10, and they no longer have the comfort of being in the Big 10 West division. Unless they pull an upset somewhere, Purdue may be stuck near the bottom of the league in 2024.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin

Preview segment: The Wisconsin Badgers

Last season: Okay, this was not what Badgers fans had in mind when they hired Luke Fickell. Some problems arose with their new offense, and the team cracked in certain situations. So the Badgers finished 7-6 (again), and now they're entering a critical season.

Good news: The defense should still be good, as the spring game demonstrated to us. The O-line should also remain strong.

Bad news: Luke Fickell has brought in 4 new coaches on the offensive front, and let's see if one of them can wake up the wide-receiver group. Tyler Van Dyke comes in as the new starting QB, but he was VERY inconsistent at Miami.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Alabama (After 2 games to work out the kinks, Wisconsin's new offense will get a monstrous task in facing Alabama. Oh, and we'll also see if the Badger defense can slow Jalen Milroe long enough to win.)
9/28 @ USC (For the casual fan, this game will be a treat to watch. For the 2 teams involved, it'll be serious business; both of them are coming off tough seasons.)
10/26 vs. Penn State (This game LOOKS great, but Wisconsin hasn't beaten Penn State since 2011.)
11/2 @ Iowa (The ineptitude of the Badgers offense in 2023 was on full display against rival Iowa, as the Hawkeyes beat them 15-6.)
11/16 vs. Oregon (Wisconsin will get a bye week to prep for this big battle.)
11/30 vs. Minnesota (Whoops, can't forget this one.)

Bottom line: After back-to-back 7-6 seasons, the pressure is on Wisconsin to get back into Big 10 contention. On paper, they got the talent to improve. But the schedule is REALLY tough (heck, I could have thrown in games with Rutgers and Nebraska on that "Key Games" list), so I'll wait to see how Year 2 of the Luke Fickell regime goes.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota

Preview segment: The Minnesota Golden Gophers

Last season: A little disappointing for Minnesota. Yes, they won a bowl game. But they went 5-7 in the regular season, so it was only because of their academic records that the Gophers got there. The reason why? That miserable offense, no doubt about it.

Good news: A veteran O-line and Darius Taylor running the ball should equal more yards for the Gophers in 2024. The D-line should be nasty once again, and QB Max Brosmer already looks like a better QB than Athan Kaliakmanis was (he certainly showed himself as a leader during spring ball).

Bad news: Brosmer comes in from FCS school New Hampshire, so we'll see if there is a learning curve for him. Daniel Jackson is the only WR I trust for the Gophers right now, and depth may be a problem in key areas like the secondary.

Key games:
8/31 vs. North Carolina (It's the big debut for Brosmer as the Gophers QB, and we'll see if he can pick on the rebuilding Tar Heel defense.)
9/21 vs. Iowa (Another installment of the "Floyd of Rosedale" rivalry, and for the first time in a LONG while Minnesota will be defending that bronze pig.)
9/28 @ Michigan (Trouble is, Minnesota will have to go visit the mighty Wolverines for the first time since 2017 one week later.)
11/2 @ Illinois (Illinois clipped the Gophers last year by one point.)
11/30 @ Wisconsin (For the last 6 meetings in this rivalry, it's been pretty much even between these two.)

Bottom line: 2023 was a regression year for the Gophers, so coach P.J. Fleck will have less patience for this season. Especially when his team will face people like USC and Penn State along with those 5 "Key Games" I mentioned. 14 returning starters is a good place to start, though, so let's see how far Minnesota will rebound.