• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just noticed the NIT is using a 30 second shot clock

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I feel like I gotta catch a game from start to finish one of these nights

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should increase scoring. I think it's a good move. No reason for college to be 11 seconds longer than pros. While they're at it make jump balls actually a jump ball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should increase scoring. I think it's a good move. No reason for college to be 11 seconds longer than pros. While they're at it make jump balls actually a jump ball.

Yeah definitely. Still have no idea how this possession arrow crap is still around

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It should be slower. But, not slower than the womens game. I think 30 would be perfect. Enough time to run your offense and still get a shot off but not as much time standing around stalling. However, I did notice that a final score totaled 99 points last night so maybe that's a result of not taking good shots?

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be slower. But, not slower than the womens game. I think 30 would be perfect. Enough time to run your offense and still get a shot off but not as much time standing around stalling. However, I did notice that a final score totaled 99 points last night so maybe that's a result of not taking good shots?

Maybe that's why they are in the NIT?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that's why they are in the NIT?

I'm just saying, it's not guaranteed to increase scoring. Maybe instead of finding ways to make sure each teams get MORE shots we should find a way to get teams BETTER shots as a way to increase scoring and improve the pace of play. Just taking a couple seconds off the shot clock isn't guaranteeing better basketball if it's played the exact same way.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will increase scoring but not for everyone. the first game of the tourney Illinois had 4 points in the first 13 minutes of the game:lol:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying, it's not guaranteed to increase scoring. Maybe instead of finding ways to make sure each teams get MORE shots we should find a way to get teams BETTER shots as a way to increase scoring and improve the pace of play. Just taking a couple seconds off the shot clock isn't guaranteeing better basketball if it's played the exact same way.

THIS. 100%

Things they should also consider with the 30 second clock:

Move back the 3-point line to increase the amount of room in the paint to manuver. It would also deter teams from wanting to jack up 28 3's a game as some do.

I think they should also move to the FIBA rule regarding the ball on the rim. Once it hits, it's fair game, both offensively and defensively. Since I tend to think there are more issues with offensive put-backs being waived off than guys snatching the ball defensively after it touches the rim, I think this would also help the offense. Even if just a little bit.

It would also remove the officials from making a judgement call from a position in which they have no way of telling if the ball was actually still over the basket or not.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very well could be, but you would have to think that if CBB made the switch, practice and coaching would help them adjust and scoring would go up.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of dropping the shot clock to 30 seconds, but I don't think it will have quite the impact that some seem to be expecting.

Average length of possession in NCAA is hovering just under 20 seconds. That's with the current 35 second shot clock. Granted that number is going to be skewed towards a smaller LoP because of offensive rebounds that lead to immediate put-backs. Let's say that it's closer to 24 seconds when teams are actually running an offense and not just tipping the ball back in. Since we're looking at average numbers, that means some teams are going to be less than that, while others will take more, and assuming a standard distribution the farther from the mean you get, the fewer teams will be playing at that pace. Point being very few teams are using more than 30 seconds as it is.

Shortening the shot clock will likely have some effect as very few teams want to wait until the last second to take a shot, so they'll be slightly more rushed. As mentioned above that doesn't necessarily increase the quality of shots, but it should slightly increase the quantity.

In general I'm in favor of this as it should at least decrease some of the "standing around" that used to only happen on the last possession of the half, or at the end if the score is tied, but now seems commonplace with a lot of teams.

Even that has it's downside too, as I think it could have a negative impact on teams that play a really high intensity defense. From what I've seen those teams are the ones that primarily start their offensive with the "standing around" strategy, and I think that is due in part at least, to the nature of their defense. In some cases, they're just a little winded.

The upside though is if defenses are a little more winded that means that offenses have a comparative advantage and.... get more/better opportunities. Ta-da! Scoring improves.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well could be, but you would have to think that if CBB made the switch, practice and coaching would help them adjust and scoring would go up.

I'd rather coaches not teach defending ball screens by being more physical and not allowing the screener to roll and things like that. I'd rather them teach not to bump and grab and hold cutters. I just think unless you allow more freedom of movement it's always going to be too low scoring. The physicality of the college game is a lot of the reason why scoring is so low. Trolly makes a good point when he says that teams aren't even using the full 35 second shot clock, so it would seem as though in close games when teams decide to stall and waste time near the end of the game is the biggest change the shorter shot clock will have on the game. If we're looking for more points I think the best way to do that is to allow more freedom of movement. When I start seeing things that are illegal in football being allowed in basketball, I start thinking things should be done.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather coaches not teach defending ball screens by being more physical and not allowing the screener to roll and things like that. I'd rather them teach not to bump and grab and hold cutters. I just think unless you allow more freedom of movement it's always going to be too low scoring. The physicality of the college game is a lot of the reason why scoring is so low. Trolly makes a good point when he says that teams aren't even using the full 35 second shot clock, so it would seem as though in close games when teams decide to stall and waste time near the end of the game is the biggest change the shorter shot clock will have on the game. If we're looking for more points I think the best way to do that is to allow more freedom of movement. When I start seeing things that are illegal in football being allowed in basketball, I start thinking things should be done.

I agree w/what you're saying, but won't this always kind of be a problem because of lack of talent? Anyways, I got sick of watching OSU pass it around the arch for 20 seconds before shooting.. I'm in favor or anything that speeds the game up and reduces that crap.