• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just how dominant is the SEC?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any other P5 school got as many chances at a title as the SEC, the numbers would be the same.
I can think of several that have had multiple chances and it hasn’t turned out so well. Who are these others to which you allude, and what evidence do you have to back up that claim?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only year they had a chance to crash the party was the same year, the first year of the playoff, when they were bumped by Ohio State because they were the Big10 champs, not co-champs like Baylor and TCU, and Ohio State did pretty well that year if I remember right. Oklahoma deserved to go the years they did, and played well too. No other Big12 school had much of a case any of the years they were left out. The only year you can complain about an SEC team in the playoff was the 2017 season, and Alabama did ok in the playoff that year too.
The B12 has had 4 shots in the CFP - and went 0/4. Maybe 14 would’ve been different, but that is 100% speculation.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B12 has had 4 shots in the CFP - and went 0/4. Maybe 14 would’ve been different, but that is 100% speculation.

Yea, TCU got shafted by the Committee and the BIG XII that year, I think they were a better team than Baylor or FSU. They could beaten Oregon and given Bama an L but, probably would have lost tOSU.

Funny, that first year was the better argument for an eight game playoff than the following years.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, TCU got shafted by the Committee and the BIG XII that year, I think they were a better team than Baylor or FSU. They could beaten Oregon and given Bama an L but, probably would have lost tOSU.

Funny, that first year was the better argument for an eight game playoff than the following years.
You had a 13-0 team and three 12-1 teams by(all of which won their CCGs in blowouts - none more impressive than tOSU). Which of those should’ve been out in favor of TCU?

I agree TCU couldn’t have made a worse showing than FSU, and certainly could’ve beaten the other teams. I also believe many base their view on TCU largely on the Ole Miss game. But that team had several close calls (notably WVU and OU), and gave up 61 in the Baylor loss.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia got 1 chance - 0 for 1
Jim Carrey Lol GIF

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had a 13-0 team and three 12-1 teams by(all of which won their CCGs in blowouts - none more impressive than tOSU). Which of those should’ve been out in favor of TCU?

I agree TCU couldn’t have made a worse showing than FSU, and certainly could’ve beaten the other teams. I also believe many base their view on TCU largely on the Ole Miss game. But that team had several close calls (notably WVU and OU), and gave up 61 in the Baylor loss.

It was between Baylor and OSU. All the TCU talk is retroactive because Baylor lost their bowl game

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the committee was going to select either team, it would have to have been Baylor, they had the same conference record but Baylor had the head to head win. That’s the tiebreaker in pretty much any system, but the Big12, the One True Champion conference, tried to game the system and call them co-champions, because they thought TCU was better despite the head to head loss. Regardless, the 4 teams selected that year were all conference champs and 13-0 and 12-1 conference champs > 11-1 co-champs.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only year they had a chance to crash the party was the same year, the first year of the playoff, when they were bumped by Ohio State because they were the Big10 champs, not co-champs like Baylor and TCU, and Ohio State did pretty well that year if I remember right. Oklahoma deserved to go the years they did, and played well too. No other Big12 school had much of a case any of the years they were left out. The only year you can complain about an SEC team in the playoff was the 2017 season, and Alabama did ok in the playoff that year too.

Wasn't there a year when the actual BigTen champion didn't go to the playoff? I wanna say it was Penn St. but they chose Ohio St. instead.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of several that have had multiple chances and it hasn’t turned out so well. Who are these others to which you allude, and what evidence do you have to back up that claim?

There have been a number of teams that went undefeated that never got a chance in the playoff. They have been other P5champions who also did not get a chance to play in the playoff.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there a year when the actual BigTen champion didn't go to the playoff? I wanna say it was Penn St. but they chose Ohio St. instead.
Yes, but since you seem to think that the SEC’s success is simply a function of how many tries they’ve had at the championship, I don’t see how the committee putting Ohio State in the playoff over Big 12 teams or even the champion of their own division and conference helps your argument very much. If any conference has been given the benefit of the doubt, it’s been the Big 10, not the SEC.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but since you seem to think that the SEC’s success is simply a function of how many tries they’ve had at the championship, I don’t see how the committee putting Ohio State in the playoff over Big 12 teams or even the champion of their own division and conference helps your argument very much. If any conference has been given the benefit of the doubt, it’s been the Big 10, not the SEC.

I just think the SEC isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. Alabama is on another level but other than that, I don't think any of their other schools are any better than the best in other P5 conferences. That's just my opinion.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think the SEC isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. Alabama is on another level but other than that, I don't think any of their other schools are any better than the best in other P5 conferences. That's just my opinion.
One conference has had more than one team in the championship game, the SEC, with 3 different teams. 2 of those teams have won a championship game, and the other lost to another SEC team. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how dumb it is.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One conference has had more than one team in the championship game, the SEC, with 3 different teams. 2 of those teams have won a championship game, and the other lost to another SEC team. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how dumb it is.

Like I said that's only because it's always going to get more chances. The SEC champion is guaranteed a spot in the playoff. That's not the case with the other P5 schools.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except 3 other programs DID win national titles and a 4th played for one during the period he mentioned. That isn’t like the rest of the conferences.
agree since 2006 this is true. Seems in last half decade or maybe even decade it's pretty much just Bama and the 1 title by LSU.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jk
Like I said that's only because it's always going to get more chances. The SEC champion is guaranteed a spot in the playoff. That's not the case with the other P5 schools.
Every year of the playoff the SEC champion has been either undefeated or 1 loss, which year do you think the SEC champion should not have been in the playoff? Only 1 P5 conference champion with 1 or fewer losses has not been in the playoff, Ohio State at 12-1 in the 2019 playoff. There were 3 undefeated teams, including SEC champion Alabama, and a 1 loss Oklahoma in that playoff.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been the worst team in the SEC West the last 4 years or so and even still Arkansas' recruiting would finish 3rd in the Big 12 most years. The SEC's reputation has been built on more NFL draft picks than any other conference, better recruiting/talent than any other conference, and more different programs to win national titles in the last 15 years than any other conference. That doesn't mean every SEC team is going to be better than their counterpart in the other P5 conferences every year but they have definitely earned the benefit of the doubt. Outside of Alabama any one of Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn and now maybe even Texas A&M (as much as I hate to admit it) could be a CFP team any given year - don't think you can say that about any other conference.
With that said there's still a segment of our fanbase that wants to leave :lol:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been the worst team in the SEC West the last 4 years or so and even still Arkansas' recruiting would finish 3rd in the Big 12 most years.
Says the team that lost at home to North Texas.

ok carry on

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jk

Every year of the playoff the SEC champion has been either undefeated or 1 loss, which year do you think the SEC champion should not have been in the playoff? Only 1 P5 conference champion with 1 or fewer losses has not been in the playoff, Ohio State at 12-1 in the 2019 playoff. There were 3 undefeated teams, including SEC champion Alabama, and a 1 loss Oklahoma in that playoff.

In 2015, Alabama had one loss to #11 Mississippi . Ohio St. and Iowa also only had one loss to #8 Michigan St.