• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just How Bad is the Niner Offense

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually try to stay away from stats because a lot of them are gained in garbage time/ yards rarely tell the whole story (or anything close to the real story for that matter), but I can't help but hang my head when I see some of the stats for this year. Granted, it is only 4 games but:

Passing Yards per Game: 158.8 :clap:
Passing TDs/INT: 2/5 :clap:
Total points: 48 :clap:

The rushing stats aren't really that bad, which kind of surprises me. But most teams don't put that much in the run and our first game kinda skews it in our favor.

And I hate to mention it but most of those yards we gained in passing were during the second half of the Pitt game where we clearly already lost and they were content with letting us do whatever. :trash:

My biggest concern with these stats is...can it get better from here? I'm not talking a complete 180 where we become amazing and pass for 300+ yards a game, but our O-line mixed with Kap and frustrated WRs, I think these numbers drop from here (especially considering we play the Cardinals D another time and the Seahawks and Rams TWICE; ). I say these numbers go down. I haven't seen anything from Kap or our line that shows we can pass for more than 158 yards a game. We will need the outlying plays like Torrey's TD.

And yeah, I realize we all know we are terrible, but I honestly think this offense could be one of the worst ever. At least in the passing game. I just don't see anything to be excited about. Hyde looked good but how is he supposed to run when no one thinks we can pass and the o line can't block anyway?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really bad. We have a bad mix of Coaching, Oline , QB play and receivers not getting open. Offense is doomed. We have a good RB but teams stack the box.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, agreed. I think they all feel overwhelmed at this point with no answers. And I really think there aren't any answers. The talent just really isn't there. Everyone seems defeated/frustrated and Tomsula has no idea how to handle this kind of train wreck. Once you've given up you can't really work your way back. That's why a good coach is necessary.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Kaep can make the tight throws on the slant and to the outside...we're in trouble. My guess is that he comes out less conservative against the Giants...hopefully that doesn't equate to forced throws and INT's...but I wouldn't hedge any bets on that. Teams have stacked the box and gone man to man on the outside which has effectively taken Kaeps upside and thrown it to the wayside. It could be a very...very long season...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
to begin with, players can't just throw their hands up in the air and sulk. Fans do it all the time, but our team can't.

you start the game the same way......try to establish the run. yes they'll stack the box but you can't abandon run. this doesn't mean run three times and punt, but you lean run. This includes called runs for Kaep, 'read option', whatever you want. We don't have a choice.

Next, use short passes to all parts of the field, mainly to TE's and RB's first. Even if this means 'static' routes, start with completions and positive yardage. this gets Kaep and TE's starting with a positive mindset, also taking some pressure off the linemen.

eventually you have to throw a few longer passes to Torrey Smith. throw it early enough in the route, give him a chance to make a play.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word is changes are made for this game but the coaches are not saying who and what. 1 that leaked out is Ellington as the #3 WR.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah if Stanley doesn't play we have no shot.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about points in my opinion. The 49ers are averaging 12 points per game, which is dead last in the league. The next worst team is the Jaguars with 15.5 points per game.

How bad is 12 points per game?

2014: the worst offense was the Jaguars with 15.6 points per game.
2013: Jaguars were the worst with 15.4 points per game.
2012: Chiefs were the worst with 13.2 points per game.
2011: Rams were the worst with 12.1 points per game.
2010: Panthers were the worst with 12.3 points per game.
2009: Rams were the worst with 10.9 points per game. (6th worst of all time)

I have to go back 6 years to find a team that did worse on average for the entire season. That's how bad this offense has been. And while there is plenty of blame to go around, the most important piece to any offense is, always has been, and always will be, the quarterback.

Colin Kaepernick is leading this pathetic "offense" and people still don't acknowledge how terribly he's doing. Regardless of how bad the line is, THIS is pathetic. He needs to go.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Hyde dealing with a bad 49ers offensive line

Even Hyde is struggling because of the crap line. Yes, he is dealing with stacked boxes. According to Cosell, stacked boxes are not uncommon and can be beat if your oline is playing well. Part of the problem is the safeties are playing in because they aren't worried about the passing game. Still, this line can't get push anywhere. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's all about points in my opinion. The 49ers are averaging 12 points per game, which is dead last in the league. The next worst team is the Jaguars with 15.5 points per game.

How bad is 12 points per game?

2014: the worst offense was the Jaguars with 15.6 points per game.
2013: Jaguars were the worst with 15.4 points per game.
2012: Chiefs were the worst with 13.2 points per game.
2011: Rams were the worst with 12.1 points per game.
2010: Panthers were the worst with 12.3 points per game.
2009: Rams were the worst with 10.9 points per game. (6th worst of all time)

I have to go back 6 years to find a team that did worse on average for the entire season. That's how bad this offense has been. And while there is plenty of blame to go around, the most important piece to any offense is, always has been, and always will be, the quarterback.

Colin Kaepernick is leading this pathetic "offense" and people still don't acknowledge how terribly he's doing. Regardless of how bad the line is, THIS is pathetic. He needs to go.

i disagree, almost everyone says he playing terrible.

yes we need a new QB, but easier said than done.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chalk this up as a rebuilding year and give the young players experience. Niners will not win a single game in the division. I thought they might go 7-9 or 8-8 this year, but they will be lucky to win 3 games. The offense is pathetic, starting with Kap. OL is terrible which hasn't helped his cause. As I stated in my other post, Niners have only scored 48 points, while the Falcons scored 48 points last week against the Texans.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree, almost everyone says he playing terrible.

Yeah even people that defend him a little (like purguy) have admitted he is no good this year at all. It took a while, but as far as I can tell everyone has agreed that Kap is playing horribly and getting worse as time goes on.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chalk this up as a rebuilding year and give the young players experience. Niners will not win a single game in the division. I thought they might go 7-9 or 8-8 this year, but they will be lucky to win 3 games. The offense is pathetic, starting with Kap. OL is terrible which hasn't helped his cause. As I stated in my other post, Niners have only scored 48 points, while the Falcons scored 48 points last week against the Texans.

I think this year is probably best described as an "off year." I don't see us rebuilding anything right now. Next season will be the beginning of the rebuild with (most likely) a new QB and a lot of money to spend. This year is a culmination of bad management and bad luck hitting at the same time with no way out.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extent of Kaepernick's terrible play is still not being realized by many.

Last year, whenever bringing up Kaep's bad play, the excuse was "Yea, but it's because of the play-calling." Now, whenever Kaepernick is described as terrible, I see responses of "Yea, he's not playing well because of the offensive line". Oh yea, and I also just love seeing people use "Kaepernick" and "potential" in the same sentence, because that still happens too.

Kaepernick is a terrible, terrible quarterback. Period.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically so.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw how bad they were Sunday night with a 4 point lead and 82 yards of field to defend for only 1:41. The failed miserably. This is what bad teams do though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We saw how bad they were Sunday night with a 4 point lead and 82 yards of field to defend for only 1:41. The failed miserably. This is what bad teams do though.

Yes, the odds favored our defense at that point. Too bad we Brock couldn't come up with that INT, it was an easy catch had he kept his feet.

Overall in this game, we were missing a pass rush. It doesn't necessarily have to be one player, but it just wasn't there. Eli was accurate and threw with timing most of the game. You can't defend these passes, just make good tackles.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the odds favored our defense at that point. Too bad we Brock couldn't come up with that INT, it was an easy catch had he kept his feet.

Overall in this game, we were missing a pass rush. It doesn't necessarily have to be one player, but it just wasn't there. Eli was accurate and threw with timing most of the game. You can't defend these passes, just make good tackles.
What's worse though is that both Randle and Beckham were out with hamstring injuries on the drive, or at least 90% of it and the Niners still could not stop them.
As for Kaepernick I'm not sure whether to be pleased with last night's performance or worry that one pretty good result will only delay the inevitable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's worse though is that both Randle and Beckham were out with hamstring injuries on the drive, or at least 90% of it and the Niners still could not stop them.
As for Kaepernick I'm not sure whether to be pleased with last night's performance or worry that one pretty good result will only delay the inevitable.

yes, certainly agree the odds favored us preventing a TD. this situation is where the completions alone doesn't hurt, but the RAC's do (especially Vereen's). We couldn't make immediate tackles with so many guys back there?! I also wonder if we shouldn't have taken out Bowman beginning of that last stand?

didn't think the penalty on Acker was a good call?