• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Judge Recommends Suspension of 6 Games for Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone arguing that the 1st year base is the same as other players is completely missing the key ingredient in the Watson contract - only his has a clause that stipulates that the team cannot withhold/reduce/reclaim any bonus should the player be suspended. Only Watson's contract has that because only Watson was facing suspension when he signed the contract, and only Cleveland could offer him a 100% guaranteed contract with the fact that no money/bonus would be taken back if he were suspended because that was the ONLY way he was going to end up in Cleveland after already telling them to kick rocks....So, yes - the contract means everything.
want to say he was aided without the possibility to reclaim bonus money? That's a good argument to make and accurate.

But so many are saying it's the 1st year base done solely for a suspension and this is factually incorrect.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were any of them facing suspension when they signed?
Do they have a bonus protection clause in case of suspension?

By the way, Dallas lost Gregory due to an unneeded clause in case of suspension, the Watson clause was unneeded as a suspension doesn’t automatically pull back bonus money, recouping that money is a team option, The Browns look like bent over hookers by adding it.
as someone who is not a question coward, the answer to your questions are no and not sure (but guess is also no), they are not facing suspension.

You are finally coming to what the correct argument should be if one is looking to cry about Watson's deal (the bonus money, not the base). Well done.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet you spin the same shit day after day.

Agenda or stupid.
You pick
It's called educate, not spin. At least some have finally come around and taken the education that was offered.

I'd say they have an agenda and are irrational. Not sure if they are stupid.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone arguing that the 1st year base is the same as other players is completely missing the key ingredient in the Watson contract - only his has a clause that stipulates that the team cannot withhold/reduce/reclaim any bonus should the player be suspended. Only Watson's contract has that because only Watson was facing suspension when he signed the contract, and only Cleveland could offer him a 100% guaranteed contract with the fact that no money/bonus would be taken back if he were suspended because that was the ONLY way he was going to end up in Cleveland after already telling them to kick rocks....So, yes - the contract means everything.
I had a fine career pointing out that, "a contract says what it says, nothing more and nothing less"

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as someone who is not a question coward, the answer to your questions are no and not sure (but guess is also no), they are not facing suspension.

You are finally coming to what the correct argument should be if one is looking to cry about Watson's deal (the bonus money, not the base). Well done.
To me it always was about the protection of his bonus money, but seeing that his year 2 salary is a mere 690k that plays into it to.

So a one year, no fine punishment cost him 690k?

If you don't see that as protection especially when his minimum salary per the CBA is 1.034M

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note

Denzel Ward, same amount of league years and signs a new deal in the same year as DW has a base salary of $1,035,000. (Veteran Minimum)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it always was about the protection of his bonus money, but seeing that his year 2 salary is a mere 690k that plays into it to.

So a one year, no fine punishment cost him 690k?

If you don't see that as protection especially when his minimum salary per the CBA is 1.034M
I never said he was not protected. I said it was absurd to complain about the year 1 base when that is standard for many guys who sign high priced extensions on the Browns and around the NFL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note

Denzel Ward, same amount of league years and signs a new deal in the same year as DW has a base salary of $1,035,000. (Veteran Minimum)
Yeah.....same with Garrett, Teller, Bitonio, Njoku, etc.

almost like it's absurd to complain about that base for watson.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like someone doesn't understand that it was Watson and his agent who wanted the contract constructed to avoid the financial hit of a suspension. It's absurd for someone to claim otherwise.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like someone doesn't understand that it was Watson and his agent who wanted the contract constructed to avoid the financial hit of a suspension. It's absurd for someone to claim otherwise.
Who doesn't understand Watson was aided by not losing his signing bonus if suspended?

Or are you referring to those who don't understand nearly all Browns' high dollar extensions start with a minimum base in year one? Like TB and many other teams.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who doesn't understand Watson was aided by not losing his signing bonus if suspended?

Or are you referring to those who don't understand nearly all Browns' high dollar extensions start with a minimum base in year one? Like TB and many other teams.
None of those players requested that type of contract construction and most assuredly Watson did, specifically to avoid losing money when he was suspended. Why don't you grasp this?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those players requested that type of contract construction and most assuredly Watson did, specifically to avoid losing money when he was suspended. Why don't you grasp this?
Watson did not need to request it since, you know, this is the norm for the Browns.

why don't you grasp that?

I mean, there is something to cry about if you want to....you just cannot seem to understand what it is.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he was not protected. I said it was absurd to complain about the year 1 base when that is standard for many guys who sign high priced extensions on the Browns and around the NFL.
But you instisted the Browns pay all their guys low on year one, when in fact they paid Ward the league minimum, while they paid Watson UNDER league MINUMUM, for year one. (Suspension Year)

At this point I wish the NFL would suspend him a year starting league year 2023.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson did not need to request it since, you know, this is the norm for the Browns.

why don't you grasp that?

I mean, there is something to cry about if you want to....you just cannot seem to understand what it is.
Watson decided what the contract would be from the dollar amount, to it being fully guaranteed, to the construction of the contract. That how the Browns went from being eliminated in the Watson sweepstakes to winning it. Stop trying to say otherwise.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson decided what the contract would be from the dollar amount, to it being fully guaranteed, to the construction of the contract. That how the Browns went from being eliminated in the Watson sweepstakes to winning it. Stop trying to say otherwise.
I've said the low base salary is not done as a ploy to help out in a suspension. That is all. Because this is fact.

If you'd like to lie about anything else feel free.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said the low base salary is not done as a ploy to help out in a suspension. That is all. Because this is fact.

If you'd like to lie about anything else feel free.
It most assuredly is a ploy to help out with a suspension, even your fellow Browns fans agree with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It most assuredly is a ploy to help out with a suspension, even your fellow Browns fans agree with that.
Not the ones who understand how the Browns structure new, large extensions.

Or are they helping out Garrett, Teller, Ward, Njoku, et all?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is an asshat.

the judge ruled. let it stand. why make this difficult???

Status
Not open for further replies.