• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Norman released

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict Norman will get exposed like Asomugha & Maxwell did when the joined the NFCE. Maybe not to the same extent.
Nnamdi was done at that point and Maxwell was never a good player

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Norman, but IMO he is no Sherman so I'm not sure what that means other than a very good corner is being paid like a guy that is a great corner. Not sure that helps your argument...and you can't say because the cap went up because you used Sherman against the 2014 cap

I didn't say Norman was Sherman. In another post I said he was a notch below, he is also paid a notch below. I don't have any argument here other than salaries are going up and Norman getting this much money is a direct result of that. Some are just blind to that fact.

-- If you are unhappy with guys like Norman getting 15 million a year, then you should tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know to stop all of the following:
*Buying NFL merchandise
*Buying NFL tickets
*Watching NFL broadcasts

If we all do all these things, we will not have to worry about NFL players getting "overpaid" anymore.

Last edited:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say Norman was Sherman. In another post I said he was a notch below, he is also paid a notch below. I don't have any argument here other than salaries are going up and Norman getting this much money is a direct result of that. Some are just blind to that fact.

-- If you are unhappy with guys like Norman getting 15 million a year, then you should tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know to stop all of the following:
*Buying NFL merchandise
*Buying NFL tickets
*Watching NFL broadcasts

If we all do all these things, we will not have to worry about NFL players getting "overpaid" anymore.

I'm not mad athat Norman, I'm questioning the Redskins.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*Buying NFL merchandise
*Buying NFL tickets
*Watching NFL broadcasts

If we all do all these things, we will not have to worry about NFL players getting "overpaid" anymore
Come on. That's just a silly overreaction to what is being discussed here and has little to do with what one team just paid one guy. Still comes down to his value as a player regardless of cap room. You don't give a guy that contract unless you think he's worth it even if you have the cap space. Anyway, I'm not even saying the contract is ridiculous. I'm saying it's more than Dallas could and should give him and also I saying he is more than a notch below Sherman. I'm really not interested in the rest of the comment. That's for another thread

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on. That's just a silly overreaction to what is being discussed here and has little to do with what one team just paid one guy. Still comes down to his value as a player regardless of cap room. You don't give a guy that contract unless you think he's worth it even if you have the cap space. Anyway, I'm not even saying the contract is ridiculous. I'm saying it's more than Dallas could and should give him and also I saying he is more than a notch below Sherman. I'm really not interested in the rest of the comment. That's for another thread

It's not a silly over reaction. It's simple cause and effect. And it perfectly illustrates my point. The NFL is more popular than ever, the pool of money is larger than ever, and in turn player contracts are larger than ever - this is all fan driven. And as long as the NFL is growing we are going to have this conversation every year about which guy got over paid. It's the nature of the beast.

I have no problem with your opinion about Sherman in comparison to Norman. Sherman is in that top tier with Peterson and probably Talib - in that order respectively. Norman is at the very top of the next tier IMO. In this pass happy NFL, guys like that are going to get paid

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nnamdi was done at that point and Maxwell was never a good player

Nnamdi was arguably considered the Top 2 CB @ the time of his free agency & Maxwell was a one hit wonder on a great defense just like Norman.

Last edited:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nnamdi was arguably a Top 3 CB @ the time of his free agency & Maxwell was a one hit wonder on a great defense just like Norman.

I am hoping like hell that Carolinas front 7 especially their LBs made Norman. If so he really robbed the Skids

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing how much he got I 100% understand the Panthers

The Panthers didn't have to give him that. It is to my understanding you control your draft picks for up to 6 yrs if you like. These guys lost the Super Bowl. Their window is now. Why let a great player walk. Sure he wants a long term deal.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping like hell that Carolinas front 7 especially their LBs made Norman. If so he really robbed the Skids

I don't know man... Norman faced a pretty tough gauntlet of top receivers throughout the season last year. He showed up big every week. Certainly his team helped him, but can't the same be said for Sherman?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers didn't have to give him that. It is to my understanding you control your draft picks for up to 6 yrs if you like. These guys lost the Super Bowl. Their window is now. Why let a great player walk. Sure he wants a long term deal.
1st rounders have a 5th year option, all others are 4 year contracts. Norman was Franchise tagged, had he signed it Carolina was on the hook for nearly 14M and would be in the same boat next year for 16M+.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part is early reports say Norman wanted 14M, the Skids topped what he wanted.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
skins pay norman 8 million this year 2017 they pay him 20 and thats it 3 rd year they can opt out

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if skins opt out in 3 rd year skins get hit wit 9 mill so there for in his third year we have a choice pay him like 16 mill ot take the 9 mill hit which will save skins 6 or 7 mill

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if skins opt out in 3 rd year skins get hit wit 9 mill so there for in his third year we have a choice pay him like 16 mill ot take the 9 mill hit which will save skins 6 or 7 mill
50 million guaranteed. That is way too much.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 million guaranteed on an almost 30 year old cornerback is almost as dumb as the Haynesworth contract. lol. this is a young man's game at most positions and some teams never learn

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 million guaranteed on an almost 30 year old cornerback is almost as dumb as the Haynesworth contract. lol. this is a young man's game at most positions and some teams never learn

And the lions share of that money will be paid out in the first 3 years. The Redskins will have Norman for his age 28,29,30 seasons, and from there they will likely be able to cut him without huge ramification. You're really over stating the age component of this equation.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the lions share of that money will be paid out in the first 3 years. The Redskins will have Norman for his age 28,29,30 seasons, and from there they will likely be able to cut him without huge ramification. You're really over stating the age component of this equation.

Never mind that the only way he see's $50 million of that deal is if he is playing at an all pro level. Years 4 and 5 have non guaranteed base salaries. Year three is only guaranteed for injury until the start of the league year in 2018. In reality it is a two year $36.5 million dollar guaranteed deal with buy in options for years 3-5. Did we pay a little more than he was worth?? Sure we did. Is this a deal that will have our children and souls being consumed by the big bad cap monster??

I will put it this way, in 2018 Dallas will STILL take a $8.9 million dollar dead money hit if Romo is released ( or retires). At the same time we would pay $100k more to release Norman.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never mind that the only way he see's $50 million of that deal is if he is playing at an all pro level. Years 4 and 5 have non guaranteed base salaries. Year three is only guaranteed for injury until the start of the league year in 2018. In reality it is a two year $36.5 million dollar guaranteed deal with buy in options for years 3-5. Did we pay a little more than he was worth?? Sure we did. Is this a deal that will have our children and souls being consumed by the big bad cap monster??

I will put it this way, in 2018 Dallas will STILL take a $8.9 million dollar dead money hit if Romo is released ( or retires). At the same time we would pay $100k more to release Norman.

Looking at the contract for the first time now...

If I were Washington I would have increased the cap hit for year 1 a couple million to lessen that year 2 cap hit a little. I know they need money for the draft class and all, but I'm sure they could find a few extra million somewhere this offseason. Considering Washington will probably be extending Cousins after this year, a bit of cap space should probably be freed up for 2017 so I can understand why they did it the way they did.

And while yes, Washington did pay a premium for Norman, I'm sure it was because teams like San Fran were offering him the farm as well. Paying open market rates for a premier player at a premium position is never going to be cheap, and rarely is it "fair market value".

Norman will be there through 2018. He is going to have to be pretty bad for Washington to eat 9 million in 2018.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the contract for the first time now...

If I were Washington I would have increased the cap hit for year 1 a couple million to lessen that year 2 cap hit a little. I know they need money for the draft class and all, but I'm sure they could find a few extra million somewhere this offseason. Considering Washington will probably be extending Cousins after this year, a bit of cap space should probably be freed up for 2017 so I can understand why they did it the way they did.

And while yes, Washington did pay a premium for Norman, I'm sure it was because teams like San Fran were offering him the farm as well. Paying open market rates for a premier player at a premium position is never going to be cheap, and rarely is it "fair market value".

Norman will be there through 2018. He is going to have to be pretty bad for Washington to eat 9 million in 2018.

If he plays through 2018, then odds are he turned out to be worth the $50 million. Sure $16.7 a year is steep, but you dont get it if you dont perform.