• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Norman released

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers have the most money to offer him which is a big reason they are in the lead to get him. Lets face it, this guy was on a better team than Dallas and wasn't giving them home team discount. So needless to say, he's after a huge contract. It would be a great addition, especially with him getting to battle OBJ twice a season. But I don't know how our cap would accommodate an additional 16 mill per year for this guy. We still have to sign Frederick and eventually Martin - both Pro-Bowlers and both are going to get paid as such. Dallas has been known to get creative with contracts, but I don't see us being a real threat to land him.

Last edited:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers have the most money to offer him which is a big reason they are in the lead to get him. Lets face it, this guy was on a better team than Dallas and wasn't giving them home team discount. So needless to say, he's after a huge contract. It would be a great addition, especially with him getting to battle OBJ twice a season. But I don't know how our cap would accommodate an additional 16 mill per year for this guy. We still have to sign Frederick and eventually Martin - both Pro-Bowlers and both are going to get paid as such. Dallas has been known to get creative with contracts, but I don't see us being a real threat to land him.

Hard to believe they would let him go. Don't know the problem there. I look at SF and Jax- if I'm him that scares me. I know he can make a ton of money and should be going after the most guaranteed he can get. Winning though has to be a thought. I know we are 4-12 and don't have much to stand on. I thought there was no way with Namdi as well. For some reason, I think we almost had him. Glad we didn't get him because he was never the same, but still we were obviously in the mix. Frederick and Martin- I could part ways with one for him but not both.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most. Don't think he is getting $16M per year is the part I disagree with. Well, we all know the total dollars are meaningless and he'll probably have some big "cuttable" dollars on the back end so it could be that number as a headline. But I don't think the "real" dollars will be that much.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much a perfect summary of the situation. Seems strange to pull the offer right before the draft unless something happened. Our chances are more based on him thinking Dallas is more the 12-4 team we were two years ago than the 4-12 team last year and forgoing a lot of money...but...we all know that doesn't usually happen.

I heard a report about them knowing they weren't ever going to be able to agree on a long term deal, so they just cut ties. Gotta be more to it though

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a report about them knowing they weren't ever going to be able to agree on a long term deal, so they just cut ties. Gotta be more to it though
I also read if they cut him in the next couple of weeks they get the comp pick in 2017 instead of 2018. So could be as simple as that since as you said they didn't see a long term deal happening.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also read if they cut him in the next couple of weeks they get the comp pick in 2017 instead of 2018. So could be as simple as that since as you said they didn't see a long term deal happening.

Sounds reasonable

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to see him w the Skins at all

Adam Schefter reports the Redskins are among the teams that have expressed interest in free agent CB Josh Norman.

• Schefter adds that the Titans and Jets are also among the teams with interest in Norman.
  • According to Jason La Canfora, the Steelers are not pursing Norman, despite previous reports.
  • Charles Robinson reports that Norman would like to have a deal done in the next week in order to settle in with a new team.
As of now, the full list of interested teams includes: the 49ers, Redskins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Steelers, Bears, Rams, Titans, Jets and Dolphins.

———-

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports that the 49ers are expected to be the “early front-runner” to sign free agent CB Josh Norman.

Robinson adds that the Jaguars are expected to have strong interest in signing Norman as as well. However, the 49ers are considered to be the “leading” candidate between the two franchises.

Recent reports have said that as many as nine teams have contacted Norman since the Panthers announced they’ve rescinded the franchise tag from him.

The list of teams who have reached out to Norman reportedly includes the 49ers, Buccaneers, Steelers Bears, Rams and Dolphins.

It’s worth mentioning that the 49ers and Jaguars both have plenty of cap space to work with and could use some help at cornerback. Also, Adam Schefter reported that playing in California is something that could appeal to Norman.

Reports said that Norman could sign for as much as $15-$16 million per year on the open market, so it will be interesting to see what kind of money he’s able to secure from another team.

We just updated each team’s available cap space as of today in case you’re wondering if a certain team could afford him right now.

Norman, 28, is a former fifth-round pick of the Panthers back in 2012. After playing out the final year of his four-year, $2,299,000 rookie contract, Carolina elect to use their franchise tag on him over a month ago.

In 2015, Norman appeared in all 16 games for the Panthers and recorded 56 tackles, four interceptions with two being returned for touchdowns, three forced fumbles, two recoveries, and 18 pass defenses for the Panthers. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 6 cornerback out of 118 qualifying players.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If PFF has him sixth , who are the top 5. Peterson, SHerman, Talib?!??, I've always liked Davis from Indy, but I think he was hurt last yr.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets??? I can't imagine anyway the Jets could sign him right now and they have Revis and need a QB.:scratch:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If PFF has him sixth , who are the top 5. Peterson, SHerman, Talib?!??, I've always liked Davis from Indy, but I think he was hurt last yr.

Probably CHris Harris from Denver. PFF loves that guy. Tyrann Mathieu could be somewhere in there too. Davis from Indy woudn't surprise me either, he usually grades pretty high with PFF.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas could find the money without completely mortgaging the future I say get him in.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas could find the money without completely mortgaging the future I say get him in.
IMO...15/16M per won't fit in Dallas. This guy is all about timing his big pay day and 14M one year deal wasn't in his cards, so Carolina cut the potential headache

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pass on him

any number of DB's in the draft way cheaper and planning for the future by drafting is the way to go FA is for when your only a Player or 2 away IMHO

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more like when you see your dream car go down the street and you think "it sure would be nice to drive that".

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pass on him

any number of DB's in the draft way cheaper and planning for the future by drafting is the way to go FA is for when your only a Player or 2 away IMHO
That is ALWAYS the best way to go regardless of where you are in your cycle, but you filll your gaping holes with FAs so you can draft the best players. Also knowing when to dump your own for a better player is a key to building a dominant team. We seem to struggle with this aspect as this team seems to fall in love with it's own a little too much at times and overpay them or not be able to cut them like most other teams would.

Regardless, do you think that is how Jerry is thinking? How much longer is Romo the QB of this team? I know you liked Wentz, so by your line of thinking above I assume you want QB at any cost this draft? Because without another QB behind/after Romo our future is pretty dim

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely they will reach out to him in some way to see how much he wants.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely they will reach out to him in some way to see how much he wants.
Agree. If they don't, they are morons. Doesn't mean signing him should or will happen, but the idea of not considering it where the need for help in the secondary and a guy that is prime to be cut to clear up space is comical. I still do think something else is going on with Norman and it probably comes out down the road. If there is an issue we don't know about I hope we stay far away. We just seemed to get burnt more often than not

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have to turn me down before I let him go to one of our biggest rivals. I never really pay attn to the cap that much. I have always thought though especially after the Namdi thing that if u want a player you can get him. How many high priced players can a team have?? I don't know Carolinas roster, but I don't see a ton of those types. Why would they not want this guy. Obviously Cam, Keuchly. Not sure about Davis since he is injury prone. I'm sure Stewart makes decent money. DLine- don't they have a Johnson???