• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Norman released

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of money just got invested in this guy. We needed a corner and we seem to have gotten a pretty good one... but was it way to much. Will see.:hope:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norman signs with the Skins

BREAKING NEWS Free-agent cornerback Josh Norman has agreed to sign with the Washington Redskins, the team announced.

Dan Snider stuck on stupid:crazy:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Snider stuck on stupid:crazy:
EHh.. I don't know about that. With cap going up and a cap floor in place, Washington may just see it as good business. I'm not very familiar with Washington's cap situation, but at a quick glance Washington has 11+ million in cap space right now, and with 5.2 million in dead money coming off after this year. They may be able to afford it in the coming years without much issue. I'm sure the contract will be structured so that Washington can walk away after year 3. Kirk Cousins has a big a cap hit this year and if signed long term that cap number is going to go down for a few seasons.

Norman played extremely well last year against some of the NFL's very best. If he provides just 80% of that level of play over the next 3 years he will probably be well worth the contract. Not every day you can get a premier CB entering their prime. Wasn't in the cards for Dallas, but if we had the cap room, I wouldn't scoff at the dollars.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EHh.. I don't know about that. With cap going up and a cap floor in place, Washington may just see it as good business. I'm not very familiar with Washington's cap situation, but at a quick glance Washington has 11+ million in cap space right now, and with 5.2 million in dead money coming off after this year. They may be able to afford it in the coming years without much issue. I'm sure the contract will be structured so that Washington can walk away after year 3. Kirk Cousins has a big a cap hit this year and if signed long term that cap number is going to go down for a few seasons.

Norman played extremely well last year against some of the NFL's very best. If he provides just 80% of that level of play over the next 3 years he will probably be well worth the contract. Not every day you can get a premier CB entering their prime. Wasn't in the cards for Dallas, but if we had the cap room, I wouldn't scoff at the dollars.
75 million with 50 million guaranteed is stupid. You don't need to be familiar with their cap situation. 50 million guaranteed for a CB is just another in a long line of dumb Snyder contracts.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid player. Too much dough ray me.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75 million with 50 million guaranteed is stupid. You don't need to be familiar with their cap situation. 50 million guaranteed for a CB is just another in a long line of dumb Snyder contracts.

Solid player. Too much dough ray me.

I think you guys are going to be appalled at some of the contracts over the next few years. NFL is raking in the money, and the player's slice of the pie is growing. Deals like this will become more the norm, especially for premiere pass defenders.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are going to be appalled at some of the contracts over the next few years. NFL is raking in the money, and the player's slice of the pie is growing. Deals like this will become more the norm, especially for premiere pass defenders.
As long as it is not the boys, I don't care.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is based upon his age and having 1 outstanding year. I think he is a very good CB. I don't value him over Sherm.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is based upon his age and having 1 outstanding year. I think he is a very good CB. I don't value him over Sherm.

I agree, but Sherman signed his new deal in 2014. With only 1 million less in AAV, and a higher % of guaranteed money, I think Sherman's deal is comparable.

I don't think what Norman did last year was a fluke, he played great. And people can talk about his supporting cast all they want, but Norman went up against a lot of elite receivers last year and got the best of them almost every week. There's only a few dominant CBs in the league, and while Norman isn't Sherman, or Peterson, or Talib I think he isn't too far below those guys. And he is better than the next tier, IMHO.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but Sherman signed his new deal in 2014. With only 1 million less in AAV, and a higher % of guaranteed money, I think Sherman's deal is comparable.

I don't think what Norman did last year was a fluke, he played great. And people can talk about his supporting cast all they want, but Norman went up against a lot of elite receivers last year and got the best of them almost every week. There's only a few dominant CBs in the league, and while Norman isn't Sherman, or Peterson, or Talib I think he isn't too far below those guys. And he is better than the next tier, IMHO.
I do not disagree with your view, but I disagree about the dollar amount. $50M of it was guaranteed.
Washington's D was near the bottom 20% of the league last year. I do not think this signing will propel them up the ranks very far.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not disagree with your view, but I disagree about the dollar amount. $50M of it was guaranteed.
Washington's D was near the bottom 20% of the league last year. I do not think this signing will propel them up the ranks very far.

I agree with you in principle about the money. But that's the way things are going unfortunately. If not Washington, someone else would have. Teams have money to spend and a directive (albeit weak) to spend it.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand the Panthers.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5 for 75 wasn't an issue. The $50m guaranteed IMO was more than I think he should have gotten. I can't say good riddance because he was never here so I'll just say glad to see him go elsewhere

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you in principle about the money. But that's the way things are going unfortunately. If not Washington, someone else would have. Teams have money to spend and a directive (albeit weak) to spend it.
Totally agree with you about where the contracts are going. The problem is as soon as someone raises the bar it becomes the new standard so when Washington gives Norman this contract or worse the contracts the Giants and Jax gave to those DEs it costs all the teams money in the long run. At least Norman is a very good player. Those other two I just don't get. Not saying they aren't good, but they are not elite or close to it. Norman wasn't good last year, he was dominant. But it just wasn't a good fit for Dallas. The ones we should have signed were Weddle or Robinson IMO. The one guy I want no part of is Cromartie. I cringe every time I see him bring up Dallas and hope he never sees Jerry out in a social setting and parlays a few scotches into a contract.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with you about where the contracts are going. The problem is as soon as someone raises the bar it becomes the new standard so when Washington gives Norman this contract or worse the contracts the Giants and Jax gave to those DEs it costs all the teams money in the long run. At least Norman is a very good player. Those other two I just don't get. Not saying they aren't good, but they are not elite or close to it. Norman wasn't good last year, he was dominant. But it just wasn't a good fit for Dallas. The ones we should have signed were Weddle or Robinson IMO. The one guy I want no part of is Cromartie. I cringe every time I see him bring up Dallas and hope he never sees Jerry out in a social setting and parlays a few scotches into a contract.

It's designed to be that way. This is how the player's salaries grow across the board. This is a direct result of the NFL's success - not the "greedy" players, or the "stupid" GMs. When you have several teams with $ 35+ million dollars in cap space any given off season and a rule that says a team must spend 89% of the cap over any three year period, coupled with an ever rising cap we are bound to see deals like this. And while most of us think of these deals as "dumb", in fact it's just the new market rate - like it or not.

Just as a note, Norman has 66% of his total contract guaranteed, while Sherman who signed his deal in 2014 has 71.4% of his deal guaranteed. As a percentage of the cap in 2016 Norman's $15m is 9.7% of the cap. As a percentage of the cap in 2104 Sherman's AAV of $14m was 10.3% of the cap. If you look at it relatively, Norman is/was paid just a step below Sherman. Norman is only getting larger numbers due to the inflation of NFL salaries in general and the extra year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Norman, but IMO he is no Sherman so I'm not sure what that means other than a very good corner is being paid like a guy that is a great corner. Not sure that helps your argument...and you can't say because the cap went up because you used Sherman against the 2014 cap

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict Norman will get exposed like Asomugha & Maxwell did when the joined the NFCE. Maybe not to the same extent.