• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon to Take Time Away from Football to Focus on his Mental Health

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Gordon's time with the Patriots has come to a surprising and swift end.

On Thursday morning, the wide receiver released a statement revealing his decision to step away from the game of football, citing his mental health not being where it needs to be for him to perform at the highest level. In the statement, Gordon also thanked the Patriots organization, Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft for their support.

Here's Gordon's statement in full:

"I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level. I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach Belichick, Mr. Kraft, as well as countless others within th Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path getting back to 100%."

Gordon was acquired by the Patriots earlier this season in a deal with the Cleveland Browns. While talented, the receiver owns a troubled past filled with substance abuse that's seen him be suspended by the league a number of times and is going through a continued battle with mental heath. The 27-year old was suspended for 10 games back in 2014 for substance abuse and then missed all of the 2015 and 2016 seasons before coming back in Week 13 of the 2017 season. While many thought that a possible change of scenery could help him, it appears like Gordon has once again found himself in trouble.

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, Gordon is facing another indefinite suspension for violating the terms of his reinstatement under the substance abuse policy. Because of that development, Gordon has decided to take the step of leaving the game of football for now to focus solely on his mental health.

Upon arrival to Foxboro, however, Gordon did seem to come along strong as he quickly clicked with Tom Brady and meshed well within the offense, a rarity for a first-year receiver in the system. Through 11 games played with the Patriots this season, Gordon has been able to bring in 40 of his 68 targets for 720 yards and three touchdowns. In their loss to the Steelers in Week 15, Gordon was only looked at by Tom Brady twice in the critical AFC matchup and hauled in one catch for two yards, while playing in 91.9-percent of the offensive snaps.

He will be s restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine being "this is why the Patriots are always ahead" guy right now only to still not have clinched the East yet with a weakass Dolphins team behind you.

Well...the Patriots were always ahead because of the HC/QB combo. Most everything else is just superfluous media nonsense that the average fan gravitates to.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...the Patriots were always ahead because of the HC/QB combo. Most everything else is just superfluous media nonsense that the average fan gravitates to.
Sure, but Brady is in his 40's, and it shows every now and then. Stubbornly is still good tho; hence the Pats still winning the East.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I find it fucking hilarious that he tried to get out in front of the story by saying he was stepping away to take of his mental health but in reality he fucked up once again.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but Brady is in his 40's, and it shows every now and then. Stubbornly is still good tho; hence the Pats still winning the East.

Well obviously...the end for that specific combo is clearly in sight....but for nearly 2 decades, 'the patriot way' was some mythical mantra that a lot of people fall back on.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously...the end for that specific combo is clearly in sight....but for nearly 2 decades, 'the patriot way' was some mythical mantra that a lot of people fall back on.
Well, clearly. Sometimes, it got louder than others.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, clearly. Sometimes, it got louder than others.

You basically answered it previously in this thread. Just because he became a Patriot, doesn't mean his problems are solved. That will be the spin from some, however.....'if the Patriots couldn't get Gordon straight....'

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that sucks.....another career up in smoke.......

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer away folks, what a waste of a career.

For using a recreational substance legalized more and more around the country, including medicinal uses. The NFL needs to step away from the idea that marijuana should be a penalized drug. Do they test for alcohol?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I find it fucking hilarious that he tried to get out in front of the story by saying he was stepping away to take of his mental health but in reality he fucked up once again.
Maybe we can wait a day on this take first. Didn't the same thing happen before the season and everyone was claiming he's suspended again based on speculation, which turned out to be false?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For using a recreational substance legalized more and more around the country, including medicinal uses. The NFL needs to step away from the idea that marijuana should be a penalized drug. Do they test for alcohol?
Assuming this is just weed (I do not think that is a safe assumption) yeah, the NFL probably should look the other way at least.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the Browns got rid of them when they did and they were exactly right for doing it.

Thanks for the 5th rounder! :yes:

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don't unless you are in the program and a multiple time offender. I think his last suspension was because of alcohol.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the Browns got rid of them when they did and they were exactly right for doing it.

Thanks for the 5th rounder! :yes:

fucking baylor....

josh gordon and corey coleman had such potential last offseason and damn...