• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon first WR taken in 2014 drafts?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not consider Gordon ahead of Megatron although I do think he has a pretty good chance to outscore him. Megatron deserves his #1 ranking because of his consistency and his track record. The potential issue with Gordon's substance abuse also makes him a lot riskier than the second tier options like Dez and Marshall, even though Gordon may be more talented.

Something to consider though:

Blaine Hoyer is a stud. He is accurate, aggressive, and he gets the ball out quickly. If Hoyer is healthy and playing well in the pre-season, look out. Gordon could easily establish himself as the #1 WR by the time we draft in 2015 and Hoyer will be the best sleeper QB to own in 2014.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Brian Hoyer I assume?

But idk, just don't see the hype in Gordon I guess. Same way I never saw it and still don't for Victor Cruz either. Think he is very overrated and outside of one broken coverage a game, he sucks.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Brian Hoyer I assume?

But idk, just don't see the hype in Gordon I guess. Same way I never saw it and still don't for Victor Cruz either. Think he is very overrated and outside of one broken coverage a game, he sucks.

Yeah, that

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we can call it hype anymore...it's fact. Gordon is a monster whether you believe it or not... and he's nothing like Victor "slot" Cruz. He's a big, strong, fast, sure-handed receiver. However, I don't think I'm ready to call Hoyer a stud just yet, tlance. That doesn't take away from Gordon's studness though.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I don't think geography has anything to do with it. Or his QB. It's more like the eternal question, "Does a WR make a QB better, or does a QB make a WR better?"

I think there are a handful of WR that make the QB better. Megatron, Fitzgerald, Marshall, and now you can add Gordon IMO.

Megatron has had good/great seasons with Kitna, Culpepper, Orlovsky, Stanton and Hill (not to mention Stafford) throwing to him.

Fitzgerald has caught passes from Leinart, Anderson, Skelton, Hall, Kolb, Lindley, Hoyer, Palmer and of course, Warner.

Marshall - for 2 seasons in Miami he had Henne, Pennington, Thigpen and Moore taking turns and he still had over 1K yards. And in Denver he had Orton, Plummer, Simms, and of course Cutler.

I wouldn't draft Gordon first. But after CJ and Marshall, I could possibly rank him 3rd heading into 2014.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what would make me grab Gordon early next season - the dude makes tough catches, and is ALWAYS a threat to take any catch to the house. That puts him at the top of my 2nd tier of WRs.

Gordon is not ready to join Calvin up in tier 1 just yet. Personally, I think that the potential botched drug test in the future that could lead to a full season ban will keep Gordon under Calvin on my draft board for at least another season or two.

As of 12/9/2013, my 2014 WR rankings would go something like this:

Megatron
AJ Green
Gordon
Dez
Julio
Marshall - may slip even farther depending on QB situation & emergence of Alshon

I also don't view Dalton as being that much greater than whichever QB the browns roll out there.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to argue anything anyone writes, but really Monkey? Julio in your top five? Dude can't stay on the field.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we can call it hype anymore...it's fact. Gordon is a monster whether you believe it or not... and he's nothing like Victor "slot" Cruz. He's a big, strong, fast, sure-handed receiver. However, I don't think I'm ready to call Hoyer a stud just yet, tlance. That doesn't take away from Gordon's studness though.

Ok, ok. Maybe calling Hoyer a stud is taking it a little bit too far. He is no Drew Brees (I think) but I can tell you one thing for sure. He is A LOT better than Weeden and Campbell.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you this. If Gordo puts up another 200 yard game this week then I'd say it would be really stupid NOT to take him at numero uno for wrs next year.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over Megatron, probably not but the dude has been damn consistant even when not going for 200 and a score. Posted single digits 3 times this year. That says a lot when your QB's are Weeden, Hoyer and Campbell. BTW, look at those 3 QB's scores this year.......... Guys like Gordon, Jeffery, DThomas, AJGreen and ABrown are poised to take the top spots in the next couple of years.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.. The reasoning behind this thread wasn't to convince anyone of anything, rather to stimulate some discussion, (mission accomplished there), and to see if I was batshit crazy for thinking it in the first place.

Now I certainly won't be advising anyone to take Gordon over CJ next year, but I sure wouldn't criticize anyone that wants to take that gamble

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.. The reasoning behind this thread wasn't to convince anyone of anything, rather to stimulate some discussion, (mission accomplished there), and to see if I was batshit crazy for thinking it in the first place.

Now I certainly won't be advising anyone to take Gordon over CJ next year, but I sure wouldn't criticize anyone that wants to take that gamble

Well honestly I don't think it even close to a bat shit crazy idea.................but I'll still have Megatron first on my board...............next year! To take it a bit farther it looks to me like if you don't get a top tier RB in the first round you may wanna start stockpiling these WR's.....................

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early to argue anything anyone writes, but really Monkey? Julio in your top five? Dude can't stay on the field.

I think the risk factor of Julio missing time is less than the risk factor of Gordon missing time.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely consider him as the 2nd wide receiver taken, but I can't buy him ahead of Megatron. Stafford loves throwing way too much and Detroit's defense is always just bad enough to keep them throwing. I can definitely see Gordon as the 2nd receiver taken though. This year it was a toss up between A.J. Green, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones, and Demaryius Thomas. I could see Gordon being drafted ahead of those guys next year easily. And one other thing that is wonderful about him . . . he never has to worry about being matched up against Joe Haden.

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't. . But I know people will be taking him as a top 3 wr.. no matter who the QB is for cleveland next year

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I managed to get him in the 10 rd of my keeper league - - so, YES, I will seriously be looking to keep him there. Hopefully the kid will keep his nose clean.
That said, as the first receiver taken in a draft - no. CJ, Julio & AJ are much safer choices - but after those three he would definitely be on my radar.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took Cameron and Gordon literally in my final 2 rounds in the draft as my cursory Browns picks...working out pretty well for me.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the risk factor of Julio missing time is less than the risk factor of Gordon missing time.

agree with JDM - the same reasons that I like Gordon to be in my top 5 WRs next year apply directly to Julio.

Let's be real, Roddy is FINALLY having the post in-his-prime/old man WR season that I've been expecting him to have for 2 years now. Julio will be a top notch WR1 next year. No one can predict injuries, and I am not quite ready to lower my expectations of Julio just yet. It'd be different if he had the extensive injury history of Gronk.

A combination of other people going after him and me being a little too scared to take on the weed-prone Gordon leaves me thinking that I won't have him on many of my teams next year. I'd gladly 'settle' for Julio. They both make great catches in coverage, both can break tackles and run away from defenders.