• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analyzing our Top 3 Picks in the Draft

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No grading, but I think the Eagles did an excellent job with their top 3 selections. Below are my thoughts after having some time to think about the picks and looking at even more video / game tape as well as reading up on all 3.

Rd 1: Andre Dillard LT Washington State (6'5” 315 lbs)

*** Dillard is one of the best pass blocking LT's to come out in a while, but the scheme at Washington State does not run much. For that reason, combined with ridiculous talent this year along the Defensive Line, it allowed Dillard to still be available in the early 20's for the Eagles to make a 3 spot jump and snag him right ahead of Houston, who most certainly would have taken him at 23. Grabbing a potential Franchise LT when you have to have one (Peters is gone after this year and Mailata was drafted as a project) is difficult even when you have a top 10 pick, but for the Eagles to be able to get one from a starting point of 25 is simply amazing. I for one just assumed that Dillard would be gone in the top 20 picks somewhere, so I never really considered him as an option for the Eagles … instead I concentrated on NC State Center Garrett Bradbury who I also think will be a stud in Minnesota, but the stars aligned for us to select Dillard in the end. In 2019 I expect Dillard to work closely with OL coach Jeff Stoutland to refine his run blocking and be ready to go as our starting LT in 2020. With Jason Peters needing to be spelled here and there however, it would not surprise me to see Dillard getting some playing time right off the jump in 2019. With Nick Foles no longer around in case Carson gets banged up again, it was imperative that the Eagles improve protection and that is exactly what they did with this pick. If you haven't already please watch the vid below … very good stuff from our Offensive Line Coach regarding Dillard.

Rd 2: Miles Sanders RB Penn State (5'11” 211 lbs)

*** I know all the hype at RB this year was about Josh Jacobs from Alabama and while he's a very good Back there are a few things to consider. He was in a 3 Back rotation where he was always fresh and was also running behind one of the best OL's in the college game. Sanders on the other hand was playing behind Barkley for 2 out of his 3 years, so the legs are fresh despite carrying the load for PSU in 2018. Jacobs has never been asked to carry the load, so it remains to be seen how he would handle it at the next level. Sanders on the other hand showed his worth when handed the full load this past season and as a 3 down Back. Sanders has the long speed, shiftiness, make you miss ability and burst; equally good running between the tackles as he is bouncing it outside. His former coach at Penn State also talked about how he should have used him more as a receiver due to his ability catching the ball and how he would have taken advantage of that ability if he would have come back for his Senior year (showed that ability at his Pro Day). The only issue I have with Sanders is his fumbling issues; this past season he had 5 total with 4 lost; that will need to improve, so hopefully the coaches can help him on ball security techniques. If that issue becomes a non-issue however, we have a top notch Back going forward. The timing of the Eagles on this pick was perfect as they did not have a 3rd round pick and 9 Running Backs went prior to their next pick in Rd 4.

Rd 3: JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR Stanford 6'2” 225 lbs)

*** I think many people were upset when we selected Arcega-Whiteside over DK Metcalf, Parris Campbell and Andy Isabella, but imo it was the correct choice. Metcalf is a sideline, over the top receiver with horrible agility. If he can't beat you deep, he's not going to beat you with intermediate routes. Campbell was mainly a bubble screen and drag route runner at OSU; yes he's a burner with potential, but he needs loads of work on how to run pro routes. Isabella is a more complete receiver than Metcalf or Campbell, but he's 5'9” with under 30” arms. We took the right receiver in Whiteside who has the footwork needed to create separation, he's the best available this year in winning contested balls by a big margin (if you throw it near him he'll come down with it); he has the production, he has the size, he ran a sub 4.5 40 and he can play either outside or the slot (although he played outside 80% of the time). Stanford guy with a 29 wonderlic, even did an internship under Condaliza Rice; there's no issue with him being able to learn the Offense. At worst I see JJ as a rich man's Jason Avant, but I think it's more likely he'll develop to being closer to Anquan Boldin when it's all said and done. His game is refined enough where I think the Eagles will use him a good deal right off the jump; especially on formations where DJax lines up in the slot.

Take a look at this vid below, this kid just has a special ability to shield defenders like nobody I've seen coming into the league; Carson Wentz is going to love that.

Reactions: CSB

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, definitely, was a Carson Wentz draft. On paper, it looks like a good draft but, as everyone knows, on paper means absolutely nothing.
Since I had been asking for a Carson Wentz draft, I hope that it works out.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, they are going to make sure that Wentz has everything he needs to succeed here.

58378022_2671576119582334_8474342011153940480_n.jpg

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:

I too never considered Dillard to be an option - I was certain he was a lock for the Top 20. Great value and landed in the perfect situation; does not have to start Day 1 (presumably as long as Peters can hold up to start the year and play most of the reps) and has a season to learn from one of the best ever.

I'm warming up to the Miles Sanders pick; he's good but I liked Montgomery better... clearly they view Sanders as a better fit in their offense and he should do well moving forward. Was one of the most impressive performers at the combine.

JJ was a guy that was getting a ton of buzz late in the process, truth is I think the media slept on this guy the whole time and only in the last few days leading up to the draft you would hear his name more often. I really like this pick because it gives them a polished outside big-bodied X-receiver... he comps to Alshon Jeffery, there's a lot of similarities in their respective games. Very smart and cultured guy who will be a locker room leader in no time.

Shareef Miller tested well and has a similar profile to Vinny Curry, but more athletic.

Thorson is our developmental 3rd QB who has some deficiencies in his game but he's tough, experienced and he won big games. Given time in the Eagles' offense, he could be a guy you can count on to spot start and win a game or two over the course of a season if need be.

TJ Edwards as an UDFA was a great pickup and could have a legitimate shot to make the 53 man roster... surprised he wasn't drafted.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAYBE Peters or Dillard will play left guard.

I don't know if Dillard can be moved to Guard, they did not run much at Wash State and he needs some refinement. Maybe he's better in that aspect than anticipated; just because they did not do it much doesn't mean he can't. We're going to have to wait and see ... pass blocking from the Guard spot would certainly receive an upgrade. As far as Peters to Guard goes ... I don't think that happens. He's 37, likely playing out his final season and his run blocking grade last year was the lowest of his career.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Dillard can be moved to Guard, they did not run much at Wash State and he needs some refinement. Maybe he's better in that aspect than anticipated; just because they did not do it much doesn't mean he can't. We're going to have to wait and see ... pass blocking from the Guard spot would certainly receive an upgrade. As far as Peters to Guard goes ... I don't think that happens. He's 37, likely playing out his final season and his run blocking grade last year was the lowest of his career.
Neither Dillard nor Peters should sit.
We'll see what happens in August.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Dillard sits this season. Still, a solid selection. I had considered him early in the process as a possible pick for us, but as the draft went along most experts thought he would not last into the end of the first like he did.

Arcega-Whiteside to me is the guy who will take over for Alshon Jeffery in another year or two. He will likely play as a rookie as a big slot, and in the red zone outside, but otherwise see limited time.

Sanders easily has the biggest shot to be an impact rookie IMO. He will likely be in a committee but could be the lead dog in the committee if he demonstrates home run ability, since the other two likely backs, Howard and Clement, don't have that type of speed.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dillard is strictly Peters' backup this season and I'm ok with that. At this point in his career, Peters gets dinged often and needs breathers here and there ... so it's very likely that Dillard sees action often spelling Peters. He will be starting soon enough, but for now he solidifies the backup LT backup spot. Big V will be your primary RT backup.

I think Whiteside will see more action than most expect. I fully expect the Eagles to incorporate him into all Red Zone packages off the jump. Sanders will end up leading the team in backfield touches ... the Eagles have clearly been very high on him and there's no need to take it slow with rookie RB's. Howard is still going to be involved in short yardage and Red Zone, but Sanders will lead the way between the 20's. He was an RPO Back at Penn State and should fit right in with this club.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not watch all of the Combine this year like I have in year's past. Had not realized how good Sanders looked there ... so natural catching passes. By all reports he also looked great catching passes at his Pro Day ... even as a receiver out of the slot. Penn State Coach James Franklin has also had glowing reviews on Sanders' ability in the passing game and how he would have used him more as a receiver if he came back for his Senior year. The only worry for me is the fumbling issues ... if he can improve that ball security, the sky's the limit.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to say that watching that breakdown of Dillard with Coach Stoutland was gold!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
66778534_2868143216593620_3302688473185517568_n.jpg

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great work, Rey!
I hope that Sanders can compare with Kamara, who is dynamite! Or, Shady also.
Dillard is a Tackle, and I don't want to mess him up as a Guard, plus his forte is pass blocking, not run blocking.
The draft was very good, especially these 3 picks. Next season, I'd like a superstar stud WR, ala Amari Cooper.
I have high hopes for Maddox, but after reviewing how cooper burned him in the playoff game, I am concerned.
Just a few notes. One more week, fellas!!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not mean to overlook Jordan Howard. I have high hopes that he will be another Bount, even better. He may be motivated to show he can catch the ball, which would be a great thing, coming out of the backfield. So, if Howard and Sanders turn out to be solid weapons, i think our offense will be super (as in SB)!

The defense could be great, but we need a third DT to step up;the LBers to be solid; and the DBs have to be better than last year. If we have a top 5 defense, we'll be REAL GOOD!

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not how I saw the draft unfolding and I certainly didn't see Dillard being available. I have high expectations of Dillard. I was strongly hoping for a DT early and a S but I understand their strategy. At RB I was high on Montgomery and didn't think Sanders was a possibility. Many wanted a WR but few if any were looking at JJ who I personally think will be the shining star of this draft.
In my mock I had both Miller and Thorson. I have hopes for both.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thorson is a bit raw, but he is very mobile, and has a very good arm. So, I have high hopes that he will eventually be a real good backup.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m really hoping Josh Sweat is a player. Pressure, pressure, pressure

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJAW looks good. I’m really liking that pick.

I don’t think there is any way they move Dillard to Guard unless it’s a complete emergency. Your first year in the NFL is tough enough, you don’t want to force a guy to learn a new position on top of all that (especially if you envision him as a LT moving forward).

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies looking great!!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJAW looks good. I’m really liking that pick.

I don’t think there is any way they move Dillard to Guard unless it’s a complete emergency. Your first year in the NFL is tough enough, you don’t want to force a guy to learn a new position on top of all that (especially if you envision him as a LT moving forward).

He's not a strong run blocker (yet), to play guard. anyway, he is like a Tre' Thomas clone. A finesse pass blocker, and that is great.