• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Soul 12 Season Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if anyone else will chime in here.

Was another fun season in Soul 12. I felt like this was a year you really had to draft well in to have a successful season looking back. Waivers was not as strong this year as some years past.

Breakdown of my team

This wasn't my deepest team I ever had, but it may have been my strongest starting 9 I ever had. Other then RB and maybe the Flex spot until Sage Surratt went down, my starting decisions seemed pretty easy and consistent this year.

QB's
Overall pretty good. Mostly started Sam Ehlinger and Brock Purdy here. With the two bye weeks had to dig a bit deeper and did sit Purdy the week he played Iowa and Ehlinger the week he played Baylor. Ehlinger wasn't the runner he was last year but put up pretty decent numbers. He had a few letdown games (but no terrible games other then Baylor when I sat him) but it seemed like the weeks he had his lower scores Purdy always picked up the slack. I think I was pretty fortunate that it seemed like when Ehlinger was off fantasy wise that Purdy had his best games and when Purdy was off, Ehlinger had some his best games. I think they only not so typical week for the two starting QB's was a week where my WR's ended up with a total of 11 touchdowns between the 4 of them. Kedon Slovis filled in nicely the weeks I needed him. I believe he scored well in every game I started him. The final week of the regular season when I sat Ehlinger vs Baylor, Slovis was money. I also had to start Josh Jackson once here and he torched Maryland, and I had to start Matt Fink once with Slovis injured and Fink while not great, did hold up enough. Overall happy with my QB's this year. There were times I wanted a bit more but always fairly solid and the depth of my starting team didn't make them mandatory huge games week in and week out. Jake Luton and Slovis started the week that Purdy and Ehlinger were both on a bye and neither missed a beat picking up the slack.

RB
My one week point was probably my RB2 and depth at RB this year. I did it by committee and it got the job done. I feel like most weeks my RB2 would get me a consistent but not eye popping 10-13 points a week. Travis Etienne while maybe not as great as last year was still very good. After blowing up his first game he got off to a slow start early just like the entire Clemson team did, only to end the season well. He was the rock of my RB unit and was pretty dependable week to week. There were some low end rushing games to start the season for him but it seemed like he always scores a touchdown. His yards and touchdowns went up as the year went on and he had a nice two touchdown game in the title game despite his lowest yard total of the season. He also had one touchdown taken away early in that game. He had huge games vs Georgia Tech and Wofford. Crazy stat line in those games. While he didn't blow up in as many games as he did last year he was very dependable and consistent as a fantasy RB. My favorite college football player likely to declare for the draft will be missed.
After him draft wise was a huge letdown. Jafar Armstrong got hurt again and then came back and then got hurt again (just like last year). I was expecting big things out of him. Ended up only starting two games and got me a total of 6 fantasy points on the season. Bad pick there. My other awful pick early was Isaiah Bowser (other then these two I can't really complain about my draft). Bowser got me 1 point week 1 and then was lost for weeks after with a bummed knee, only to come back and re-injure his knee and never play again. So my RB 2 and 3 got me a total of 7 fantasy points on the season. I rebounded ok from it, but never great as RB waivers was very weak this year.
Lamical Perine got the most start with these two out. Perine's carries were much lower then I expected and Florida really passed the ball more then expected with a poor interior OL to run the ball. Perine thankfully usually scored a touchdown every week, and when forced to start him vs Auburn and LSU because of lack of RB depth he scored in those two games. I shyed away from him at the end of the season due to lack of carries, and relied a bit more on guys like SaRodorick Thompson Kavoisey Smoke and DJ Williams. I started many different RB' s this year including: Etienne, Armstring, Bowser, Perine, Williams, Smoke, Emery, Thompson and lastly Journey Brown. I gambled on Emery early and it didn't pay off. He did get a start in a week that Etienne was on bye and Bowser and Armstrong were out of service (as they were mostly all season) After that I turned to a committee of Thompson, Smoke and DJ Williams, Drake Anderson which wasn't a real big upside start by any of them but had a nice game out of each of them that turned out important. Thompson started 2-3 games, Williams 2 games and Smoke 3 games. The most important start and pickup of my season was probably the last one I made Journey Brown. I had Brown earlier in the year and cut him after two weeks because it was clear Penn State RB situation was unclear. Once Noah Cain went down that re-opened things for Brown and he started to get some momentum late in the year. Brown was the difference in the title game. If was debating him vs Thompson all week even after picking Brown up. The Rutgers matchup was just something I felt was good enough to take a chance on. Overall RB turned out ok. Not huge games other then Etienne and Brown in the championship but I did a good job picking up 10-13 a week from matchups. The week Etienne was on a bye was a bit unsettling for me here but I got through it. Perine had a good week the first week Etienne was on a bye and I gave Emery a shot who got me a low 4-5 points but turned out ok. The last week of the regular season I started DJ Williams who had low carry total but at least scored a TD and Smoke had a low carry total too but I got through those weeks thanks to goood WR;s and QB's (At this point is anyone still even reading this)?

WR's
This group was fantastic. Start of SOUL 12 I always had great RB's and average WR's. Lately I have had very good WR's and this year could be my best group ever.
Ceedee Lamb was great except vs Kansas and the championship game. He had some big weeks and then 2-3 smaller weeks because Oklahoma would blow out their opponent and Jalen Hurts was one man wrecking crew. Lamb was a guy I had last year and when my pick came around and nobody really sliding to me that I hoped would I called upon him again. He had huge games vs Texas and Iowa State and was pretty consistent overall. Not so good the last two weeks of the season, but he did his damage.
Sage Surratt- Sage was fantastic. His injury late in the season sucked, but was happy I had him all but the last 3 games to get a lot out of him. Had many 2 touchdowns games and a 3 td game. I think he may have scored a TD in every game but one this year and in that game he had 9 catches. Isaiah Hodgins, was much like Surratt. He was pretty consistent all season long and found the end zone like Lamb and Surratt did. I will never forget the week that Lamb, Suarratt and Aiyuk had 9 combined touchdowns and Hodgins added 1 or 2 that week. Brandon Aiyuk was a great 4th WR who would have been a 1 or 2 on most fantasy teams. He started off a bit slow by catching passes for big gains but not scoring, but soon after I started consistently starting him at flex. This guy is really the reason why my lack of RB was never a panic point. He pretty well started the majority of games this year and had some huge games for me. He was basically a copy of N'Keal Harry from the last few years and probably even a bit better with bigger games then Harry. When Jayden Daniels hit his stride it made him even better. Chris Olave was a nice find in round 24. I told OB this year my one goal was to draft someone in round 24 that would be good enough to stick on my roster all season. I had a good feeling about this one after watching Olave late in the season last year. Just wasn't sure with all the weapons there that he would be a consistent player. I ended up using him a ton this year between the two bye week season and the injury to Surratt late in the year. I alway felt Olave's best games were against tougher opponents that Ohio State would necessarily blow out in the first half, and that ended up somewhat true. Olave wasn't a a big "Catch" guy, but he did damange with the amount of catches he had. His best games ended up being against Northwestern, Wisconsin and then had the long TD game in the title game for me vs Michigan. I started him the final 6 games of the season and a few times early in the season. I'd call him my best rd 24 pick ever. I looked back and have only had 2 24th round picks that lasted on my roster all season. The other being WV (FR then) Ivan McCartney. Olave ended up with 11 touchdowns on the season and had 3 games in which he had multiple touchdowns. His highest catch total was 7 vs Wisconsin and next top was 5, so wasn't a big catch guy but scored in 8 of 12 games. A type of player you need in two bye week season. After that I used Jaylon Redd in two games in which he never had the season I was hoping for, but he did score in both of the games I used him in despite a low catch total. Bryan Thompson started the season well, but didn't end well. Never used him other then TB for fun just to say I used him. Tre Turner was inconsistant but good towards end of year. Jaylen Waddle had a great final game, but not a player i felt I could ever depend on with Bama's WR core. I knew that when I drafted him late, but I did keep him around as a fall back option if ever needed. The only WR I picked up the entire year was Brennan Eagles. He started off good and then was pretty useless. I did start him a time or two and he had a long touchdown in one of those games. He really just sorta hung out after that. Overall this unit was great. My starters were terrific and I had enough depth here where I didn't need to search waivers unlike RB.

K's
My two kickers were great. Seth Small was very consistent and dependable for me. Had some tough matchups with his schedule but did well with those. Picked up Noah Ruggles on his first bye and he was ok for me. Picked up Nick Sciba on his second bye week and Scriba got the start in the title game over Small due to matchup, and it was a good decision at that. Small had his lowest point total of 1 and Sciba ended up with 12. AN 11 pt difference. Started Scriba the second to last game of the season too, and he got me a 15.

I know that was boring, but I have this week off so I thought I would try a rundown. Not sure if anyone else will do it. StevieB may be the only one.

Post what you want about the season.

Your team, others team. etc.

I would close with one thing. I am seriously considering if there are others out there wanting to join soul 12 and may be a bit more active in some discussions I would consider some replacement. Everyone drafts on time, everyone is active on waivers and we had 0 missed lineups this year. but I would like to see some life with some folks in this league. Very little commenting during the season. Stevie, Q, myself, OSU and Hooey really the only ones willing to chat during the season. I don't expect a lot of discussion but just show us you are alive and not a robot at some time during the season please!

Thanks and see ya all next year! (Maybe?)

Last edited:

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team

QB's
-----
I was decent here. Ian Book was my keeper and good for the most part. Seemed like he ran for more TD's last year but was consistent as a passer. I think he had 1 or maybe 2 bad games. (Michigan and Georgia) Tommy DeVito was annoying. I got a few good games out of him. He seems to be a little fragile and inconsistent. He would have a pretty big game and then the next week they might pass 15-20 and use two different QB's. That seemed to be due to an injury early in the year. His first game he was awful. Later in the year he got better, but towards the end I didn't really trust him. Sean Clifford was pretty good. He wasn't unstoppable as a passer or runner but when you combine the two together he ended up a pretty good fantasy player. The last week both he and DeVito missed and I had nothing behind them. Hartman ended up playing but I would have never guessed that going into the game. Unlike last year where I was picking up a lot of QB's in free agency I stayed as is this year. I was fine with what I had and saw nothing else better when the time came. Maybe missed out on a QB or two that I should have bid on but I didn't see a major need there.

RB's
------
Jonathan Taylor crushed it like always. I knew I was fine there. After that it was an issue. Rodney Smith ended up being a guy I depended on almost every week and he was ok. He posted some solid games. After that it was ugly. Artavis Pierce had a good start or two for me when Jefferson was out early/mid season. I drafted 3 Minnesota RB's hoping to get one stud. Luckily Smith was dependable and I cut Brooks. At one time I did start both Ibrahim and Smith as both were getting carries. I didn't want to do that long. I had to depend on Isiah Pacheco a few weeks which I don't really want to do and he didn't help me much. Seemed to be a body/filler more then a success in my lineup. I don't know how Tresten Ebner lasted the entire year on my roster. I guess I didn't spend as much waiver points this year as I had the most left. Didn't see a lot there.

WR's
-----
Hit or miss here. Tylan Wallace was my first round pick. He was pretty good, but seemed to struggle to score with his QB situation early on. Once he was hitting his zone, he went down injured. Jauan Jennings and TuTu Atwell were good pickups by me. Jhamon Ausbon was ok, but was expecting maybe a bit more. Davontavean Martin was awful. KJ Hamler probably gets my WR of the year award mostly because he was the only guy I was able to depend on from start to finish. I had to root hard for that Clifford to Hamler connection this year. Damon Hazelton like last year was annoying. You just never knew when he would be healthy to play or not. Never seen a guy in and out of a lineup so much without an injury report. I finally just gave up on him. I had some other low ends WR's, but never really had to dig that far to use them. I think I used Schwartz one week. Taye Barber and Kendrick Rogers never recall using them. This group was hit or miss, but was much better with some help of waivers once the season started.

K's
----
I drafted a kicker who hardly played this year due to injury. Picked up Cade York who was pretty solid and on his bye, I picked up Washington K Peyton Henry, who I started a few times after that, based on matchups. I was fine here.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had my chance...and I blew it.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few other tidbits.

Asian Alley Cats became the 3rd team in Soul 12 history to go undefeated. List includes
Asian Alley Cats (Twice)
Werewolf Chickens - Hello Special Ed if you are reading.

Heisman Hopefuls reach the Title Game for the first time ever. Which means every member for the original group of players still playing has now reached the title game.

Asian Alley Cats broke a record for highest win total in a single game when they defeated the Waxy Frogs in week 7.

What else is there?

The Heisman Hopeful are the first team in Soul 12 history to draft a player in the first round who did not record a single point in fantasy football (not counting players who never played in a game due to injury).

Anyone else think of anything else?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs:
Gordon was a god send. But he blew in the title game when I needed him most. Keeping Sanders was a major league boneheaded mistake. he stunk and then got hurt. Brown was even worse replacing him. Harris was really good until about Columbus day or so, then died. He was awful the rest of the way, save for a decent title game week when he was the TB. I did not expect to miss Penix as much as I did the last month.

RBs:
Eno was down this year. Akers was a gamble that mostly paid off. He got plenty of carries to do damage. Asim Rose and the Virignia backs were absolute trainwrecks. Gilbert was a meh spot starter who had too many TDs leached by a crap QB. Spiller was really not a great waiver find minus 2 good games. He had a decent november, but wasn't great at all.

WRs:
Trishton Jackson got a lot of hate, but was worth the pick. My best find here was Duvernay. Who has everything I needed him to be. Vaughns was actually pretty solid for a WR3/4. Scotty Washington was pretty good until he initially got banged up. Then missed the rest of the year. The West Virginia WRs were wildly inconsistent. James went from 14 catches one game, to a single catch the next. They were just baffling and it was hard to get a handle on who were the right WRs to play. I left a ton of points on the bench from my receivers this year. Everyone else was pretty nondescript. Emezie was hopelessly bad. Hale was useless. Calhoun was a wasted 15 waiver points that cost me the title. The Iowa St WRs coudln't have been more useless.

Kicker:
Even Szmyt was a major let down. Mazza might've been my most consistent player.

I am baffled how my team survived being so bad. I felt like I had better teams before who just had bad luck happen to them. This team had a little bad luck (Penix and Washington getting hurt in particular) but just really tailed off the second half of the year until it had a decent title game performance despite just terrible matchups.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q Jackson turned out very well for you. After getting screwed on Devin Butler the year before I just couldn't trust any Cuse WR going into this year. As I told you, the guy I would have taken the gamble on was Taj Harris and it turned out you got the right one. Kudos there. You had some good WR's just hard to ever know which ones to start. Milton and Pettway, James and Simmons all had their moments but it was hard to know who and when to start of those. Emezie as you know I was high on going into this year, but that QB situation was brutal this year. Congrats on a great year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my team another thing I will add.

Start of year it had a bad feeling to it. Boswer goes down early, JT Daniels goes down late at night. Jafar Armstrong goes down on Monday nights game of week 1. Felt like oh great this kind of year... After that until Sage Surratt's late season ending the health of my team was very good.

It is just crazy to me how Navin and Red Snow battled injuries all year from start to finish just like they typically do. Snower did pretty well with it. Navin tried his hardest and stayed competitive.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Performance of the year?

psu1201E-1575212344.jpg

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team this year was a tragic mess littered with injuries (Thanks Rondale Moore!) and busts. That's all I gots to say.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris was really good until about Columbus day or so, then died. .

I believe I read in the New Haven Register that Quentin overdid it on Columbus Day evening at Luigi's Restaurant in Fairfield and never really recovered.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple general thoughts:

- First, congratulations to the points winners in each division: Draft Crazy and Orgy of Evil

- Probably nobody wants to read 3 dissertations summarizing his team from the team that went undefeated in the league! It would be more fun to read one from JonBlaze like that - talking about starting Bo Nix like 11 times.

- It was criminal that Winsley's Warriors were allowed to start a QB at WR for half of the season and won multiple games because of it.

- Incredible that Q had a championship in his hands and started a backup quarterback against Oklahoma instead of Harris on Duke. If he had started Harris, he woulda won the championship by one or two points I believe. What drama it would have been with Eno Benjamin putting up the big performance late night against Arizona with the final points in the final minutes of the 4th quarter at about 2am ET to end the 16 year drought for the Heisman Hopefuls. That would have been the ultimate Soul12 moment of all time.

Few Takes on My Team:
- QBs were better than expected. Burrow was an absolute homerun and Newman was really productive too, especially when WRs were healthy early in year. Sindelar getting hurt wasn't a problem because Brewer was solid as a no.3 QB. No depth at this position hurt me in the one or two bye weeks.

- RBs were horrible after Dillon and Kelley. I waited too long to pick RB3 and it cost me. When they were on byes or when Kelley was banged up early in year I had to go with Dedrick Mills/Moe Neal type players.

- WRs were not good. It was hard to figure who to start. Lipscomb did not follow up big 2018 year and I wasn't surprised by that but had noone else to keep. Taj Harris was bust. Bryan Edwards super consistent. The one thing I did well at WR was the two UNC guys - Dazz Newsome and Dyami Brown. Both were good in different ways.

- K who cares. Nothing to say.

Overall, good comeback on the year. I think I was 1-4 and got back to 8-5 with a lucky win or two. Just didn't figure out my lineup till late in the year.

Couple Other Player Thoughts:
- The masses were right on Raheem Blackshear in the 3rd round.

- Q wins the Tristan Jackson vs Taj Harris matchup.

- DC's WR combination was incredible. Surratt, Aiyuk, Hodgins and Lamb musta been four of the top WRs anywhere.

- Interesting that preseason consensus top 3 WRs were Moore, Shenault, and Jeudy and none were that great. Jeudy was somewhat productive but not off the charts.

- Paper Tigers have owned Manziel, Murray,and Burrow in Heisman years. DC's offseason project is to count up Heismans by team. I might win that one!

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at how bad Harris was leading into that matchup. And unc was better than the teams he stunk up the joint against

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Heisman project. I’ve never had one! Ill finish that before the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.