• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordy Nelson top 20 in the NFL

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Im watching ESPNs top 100 players and was puzzled at TY Hilton making the top 40... but I really dont get Jordy Nelson in the top 20. Is he a very good player? DEFINITELY. I watched him rip my Eagles but top 20 player in the league. Thats the elite of the elite. We are talking the Revises, Shermans, JJ Watts, Aaron Rodgers type. I dont see Jordy Nelson as one of the top tier elite players in the league... or am I wrong?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Im watching ESPNs top 100 players and was puzzled at TY Hilton making the top 40... but I really dont get Jordy Nelson in the top 20. Is he a very good player? DEFINITELY. I watched him rip my Eagles but top 20 player in the league. Thats the elite of the elite. We are talking the Revises, Shermans, JJ Watts, Aaron Rodgers type. I dont see Jordy Nelson as one of the top tier elite players in the league... or am I wrong?

Objectively I would agree but having actually hung out with him on a few occasions the guy is a true class act so I am glad to see him getting recognized for his skills on the field as I always thought he has been underrated most of his career. I would still put him top-50 though just more in that 40-50 range if I were making up a list.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes good, I dont think top 20 good....speaks volumes that his coach was afraid to line him up against sherman twice last year...

I think its more ARod making a good receiver look like a star.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quick, get out of town before the Packer fans see this:behindsofa:

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily name 6-8 WRs better than him, so I'm not quite sure how he made the top-20 overall players.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him as a top 100 guy.. but top 20? Nahh. I think he was like 18.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They come out with a new top 100 every season so it's basically saying who was where in the top 100 last season and Jordy was definitely a top 20 player last season.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They come out with a new top 100 every season so it's basically saying who was where in the top 100 last season and Jordy was definitely a top 20 player last season.

He was a top-20 offensive player maybe.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did have a big year last season.

2nd in TDs, 4th in yards.

But I don't even think of him as a Top Ten receiver tbh.

I think of his QB as the best player in the game though.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did have a big year last season.

2nd in TDs, 4th in yards.

But I don't even think of him as a Top Ten receiver tbh.

I think of his QB as the best player in the game though.
I can't name 10 receivers better than him. Megatron, Dez, Julio, Green, maybe Demarious or Roddy or Brown but most of those guys are on par with Jordy. after that there isn't a receiver that you can say "oh he's definitely better than Jordy" maybe they're on par with Jordy but not better than him. Jordy is definitely top 10.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes good, I dont think top 20 good....speaks volumes that his coach was afraid to line him up against sherman twice last year...

I think its more ARod making a good receiver look like a star.

First, I'm not going to argue against your second point. Elite QBs always make their WRs look better than they are. If he consistently puts the ball exactly where it needs to be, any average WR can catch the ball and pick up some YAC. As for Jordy's ranking, he could be ranked 8th, 18th or 118th; all I know is I'm really glad he plays for the Packers.

As for the first point, this always puzzled me. In all my years of playing and watching football, it's always been the defense that adjusts to the offense. I know it's a well-known fact that Sherman only plays one side of the field, but if you want the best receiver facing the best CB, move the damn CB over there. What's Sherman's problem, anyway? Can he only rotate his hips well in one direction? Is he blind in one eye?

Besides, I'm sure I remember Nelson going up against Sherman in the playoff game.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a top-20 offensive player maybe.
Look at his numbers. 98 receptions 1,500+ yards, 13 TDs and he's only in the top 20 offensive players MAYBE? What are you smoking? You probably didn't even look up his numbers or you wouldn't have made that comment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I'm not going to argue against your second point. Elite QBs always make their WRs look better than they are. If he consistently puts the ball exactly where it needs to be, any average WR can catch the ball and pick up some YAC. As for Jordy's ranking, he could be ranked 8th, 18th or 118th; all I know is I'm really glad he plays for the Packers.

As for the first point, this always puzzled me. In all my years of playing and watching football, it's always been the defense that adjusts to the offense. I know it's a well-known fact that Sherman only plays one side of the field, but if you want the best receiver facing the best CB, move the damn CB over there. What's Sherman's problem, anyway? Can he only rotate his hips well in one direction? Is he blind in one eye?

Besides, I'm sure I remember Nelson going up against Sherman in the playoff game.
The idea of having your CBs play the same side evert time comes down to this. Don't try keeping your best CB on the #1 WR because that player is moving from one side to the other before the ball gets snap. Better to have your CBs just play a side, then having your whole secondary moving around pre snap, that leads to mistakes happening.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We maybe cant name 10 WR better but we can easily list 5. And we can also list several QBs better then him. We can list several OLineman better then him. We can list several RBs better then him. And maybe 2 TE's better then him (maybe just Gronk). Put it this way. If the NFL redrafted every player... would he be picked 18th over all. Not a chance.

And this isnt a shot at GB cause they do have the #1 player in the league in Rodgers.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We maybe cant name 10 WR better but we can easily list 5. And we can also list several QBs better then him. We can list several OLineman better then him. We can list several RBs better then him. And maybe 2 TE's better then him (maybe just Gronk). Put it this way. If the NFL redrafted every player... would he be picked 18th over all. Not a chance.

And this isnt a shot at GB cause they do have the #1 player in the league in Rodgers.
I'm not going to rank any OL player over Jordy when ranking top offensive players in the league. That's laughable. OL works as a group.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of having your CBs play the same side evert time comes down to this. Don't try keeping your best CB on the #1 WR because that player is moving from one side to the other before the ball gets snap. Better to have your CBs just play a side, then having your whole secondary moving around pre snap, that leads to mistakes happening.

Fair enough, but by not moving him around, you are creating mismatches. So you either risking making mistakes by moving him around, or getting exploited by not moving him. I'm not going to argue that what the Seahawks have done has been quite successful over recent years, but I still lay the blame for Sherman not ever covering Nelson in that first game on Seattle. Effective or not, it's part of the offenses responsibility to try and create mismatches. That's precisely what the Packers did.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but by not moving him around, you are creating mismatches. So you either risking making mistakes by moving him around, or getting exploited by not moving him. I'm not going to argue that what the Seahawks have done has been quite successful over recent years, but I still lay the blame for Sherman not ever covering Nelson in that first game on Seattle. Effective or not, it's part of the offenses responsibility to try and create mismatches. That's precisely what the Packers did.
Guess it comes down to.... Are you better off with mismatches or better off not having the confusion in the secondary. The Seahawks know the #1 WR will be on the other side, so does the safety. Makes everybody assignment more clear. Thomas knows he's going to roll over the side with the mismatch. Kind of nullifies the mismatch, don't you think?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to rank any OL player over Jordy when ranking top offensive players in the league. That's laughable. OL works as a group.

So with that thinking Jordy Nelson is better than Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones and Larry Allen. It's a top player list not a top unit list. You taking Jordy over Tyrone Smith or other star LTs. Not one GM in Would do that either.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't name 10 receivers better than him. Megatron, Dez, Julio, Green, maybe Demarious or Roddy or Brown but most of those guys are on par with Jordy. after that there isn't a receiver that you can say "oh he's definitely better than Jordy" maybe they're on par with Jordy but not better than him. Jordy is definitely top 10.
No offense man, but Yer a PackerBacker.

Brown isn't a "maybe". He's better.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask the players who voted these rankings they play against him I would think they would know