• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jonathan Rose kicked off team

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley's best QB's have been seniors. Big shock

Armstrong and the coaches took blame equally in the piece.

A quarterback who wasn't recruited by the staff learning a pro style system coming from a run based spread system.

I just don't see how you can say he wasn't being coached well enough when he had his best statistical passing season by far. I don't have to look up the stats.

If we had a senior QB who'd been in Riley's system for four years, who he recruited, would be in the heisman discussion right now. I can say that with zero doubt.

Well I do have to look up stats.

He went from .53 to 54%.
He went from 12 INT's to 16 INT's
He only threw for 161 more yards than last season.

Of course he passed for more yards, he threw 38 more passes.

Those numbers are NOT a "by far" increase by any stretch of the imagination. If anything they are de minimis. The only stat that had a "by far" change was the number of INT's. They increased 33%

Nothing in those stats indicate personal quarterback technique training. If anything it points to "Here's the playbook kid".

Again, where does Tommy say he was being taught personal techniques yet refused to accept it?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not coming directly at you RA, just venting. At least Boyd can put a finger on certain things this team needs to improve on to win those close games.

You can't argue the OL needs serious improvement.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I do have to look up stats.

He went from .53 to 54%.
He went from 12 INT's to 16 INT's
He only threw for 161 more yards than last season.

Of course he passed for more yards, he threw 38 more passes.

Those numbers are NOT a "by far" increase by any stretch of the imagination. If anything they are de minimis. The only stat that had a "by far" change was the number of INT's. They increased 33%

Nothing in those stats indicate personal quarterback technique training. If anything it points to "Here's the playbook kid".

Again, where does Tommy say he was being taught personal techniques yet refused to accept it?

Valid argument. I disagree. We were as potent an offense as we ever were under Pelini. Just had some growing pains.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't believe we're having a discussion about QB coaching.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy clearly said "fuck it I'mma play how I've always played" in game.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even on improvised TD plays, specifically the roll out prayer to moore, he was getting an earful immediately on the sideline from Langsdorf saying "what the fuck were you even thinking?"

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Questioning the ability to coach QB's is just about the last thing we need to be doing with this staff.

Well it's just what Husker fans do. The same things were questioned about the last staff.

We're supposed to be the most knowledgeable fans in college football. I no longer see that in a lot of our fans. I see a lot of hope and prayer that stats don't support.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's just what Husker fans do. The same things were questioned about the last staff.

We're supposed to be the most knowledgeable fans in college football. I no longer see that in a lot of our fans. I see a lot of hope and prayer that stats don't support.

No, we're just being impatient and unreasonable with a perfectly competent QB coach. Armstrong went ROGUE and lost us games on impulse decisions not based on logic or what he was taught.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only part of this staff I have questioned is their 3rd down and late game decision making.
A lot of that falls on Armstrong, who by all account has taken credit for his dumbass Brett Favre-esque "chuck it up cause I have a strong arm" mentality.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Boyd, the godfather of S&C pointed out after his sliding scale physical evaluation of our FB team, stated that the offensive line is well below the talent level of what is needed to compete at a high level. He specifically pointed out that the WR and RB units as a whole are near NFL ready. Wouldn't name names.

Said the VB team had more athletes test higher than there were on the entire FB team.

Interesting that they are playing in the national championship.

I've been saying that for years.

Not sure why it took Epley to point it out. Highly paid coaches ought to be able to see it. I guess they don't watch much other football in their spare time.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.. I also seriously questioned their clock management. I don't know what that's about, but they need to take a look at that this offseason.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not coming directly at you RA, just venting. At least Boyd can put a finger on certain things this team needs to improve on to win those close games.

You can't argue the OL needs serious improvement.

Been that way for years.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying that for years.

Not sure why it took Epley to point it out. Highly paid coaches ought to be able to see it. I guess they don't watch much other football in their spare time.

Well that's just recruiting. You can argue development, but the article clearly makes the case that you need better athletes to mold because it takes so much time to get them to the level they need to be.

Nonetheless, Boyd likes Mark Phillipp and his staff and he's not just saying that. He believes in them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we're just being impatient and unreasonable with a perfectly competent QB coach. Armstrong went ROGUE and lost us games on impulse decisions not based on logic or what he was taught.

He still throws off his back foot. Was he taught to throw off his back foot?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're both on the same side here, RA. We just have different opinions on the state of the program.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only part of this staff I have questioned is their 3rd down and late game decision making.
A lot of that falls on Armstrong, who by all account has taken credit for his dumbass Brett Favre-esque "chuck it up cause I have a strong arm" mentality.

You don't question the penalties?
You don't question the special teams?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still throws off his back foot. Was he taught to throw off his back foot?

He's been doing that since HS. He reverts back. His best throws are when he does what he's been taught. He's JUST LIKE TAYLOR. He just isn't a good passer in the conventional sense.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's just recruiting. You can argue development, but the article clearly makes the case that you need better athletes to mold because it takes so much time to get them to the level they need to be.

Nonetheless, Boyd likes Mark Phillipp and his staff and he's not just saying that. He believes in them.

As you pointed out, that will require patience.

Nebraska's been soft up front on both sides of the ball for years. I still blame it on Dobson and the clown that proceeded him under HWSNBN.

D-Line was stiffer this season. I'm not sure how much of that was S&C, technique, or scheme. I tend to lean "scheme".

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of that throwing off of the back foot shit is not trusting the OL too. It's scary to try and step into a throw when you know you might get walloped, or worse, turn the ball over.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been doing that since HS. He reverts back. His best throws are when he does what he's been taught. He's JUST LIKE TAYLOR. He just isn't a good passer in the conventional sense.

Agree with that. Terrible technique across the board.