• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joker 2: Folie à Deux (2024)

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1728665564051.png

Joker already fell to no. 4 spot on it's second week.

This is fascinating to see.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will fall, absolutely. And it may even fall to #4 (or worse).

But posting weekend box numbers on FRIDAY morning? Seriously?

Those are the numbers from yesterday, with Terrifier opening. Usually these numbers are used to project the weekend numbers, and according to Deadline, Joker is posed to drop almost 80%.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 850.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are the numbers from yesterday, with Terrifier opening. Usually these numbers are used to project the weekend numbers, and according to Deadline, Joker is posed to drop almost 80%.

I don’t disagree with the conclusion. I honestly don’t remember a movie receiving worse word of mouth than this.

I am just hesitant to jump the gun on Friday AM.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with the conclusion. I honestly don’t remember a movie receiving worse word of mouth than this.

I am just hesitant to jump the gun on Friday AM.

In the age of buying tickets online it’s probably closer than we think

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny... people always complain about there being no originality in movies anymore... this movie tries something very out of the box... problem is that they forgot who the target for it was in the first place... generally comic book fanboys don't like musicals...
Which is surprising because both are really gay.

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CinemaScore said:
Joker: Folie à Deux received a D CinemaScore, making it the lowest-rated comic book movie in CinemaScore's 45-year history. It ranks lower than Morbius and Madame Web, both of which earned C+ ratings.

644slvm78dud1.jpeg

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one who blames “Hollywood” a lot as well. But “Hollywood” doesn’t exactly exist. It is a mindset. It is a collection of individuals who act within a hive.

And that mindset, that hive, created this movie. This was created by a bunch of drama kids who know that their shit don’t stink. From Phoenix to Phillips to WB to DC. They don’t have any idea what the fans want. And quite frankly, they don’t care. They need to “stay true to the craft”.

Seeing the movie, I don't think this is just the result of pretentious idiots trying to be artsy. There's some of that, for sure, but what makes the movie so toxic is the deliberate intention of undoing the last film, of making Arthur an even more lame and miserable character despite the transformation that he went through during the first movie.

It seems like a very intentional "fuck you" to the people who loved the first time, something that I think is quite unprecedented in the movie world. I've seen speculation of Phoenix / Philips not liking the fact that many "unsavory" people loved and felt identified with the first film, so this is a fuck you to them. Fucking costly political message.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 850.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the movie, I don't think this is just the result of pretentious idiots trying to be artsy. There's some of that, for sure, but what makes the movie so toxic is the deliberate intention of undoing the last film, of making Arthur an even more lame and miserable character despite the transformation that he went through during the first movie.

It seems like a very intentional "fuck you" to the people who loved the first time, something that I think is quite unprecedented in the movie world. I've seen speculation of Phoenix / Philips not liking the fact that many "unsavory" people loved and felt identified with the first film, so this is a fuck you to them. Fucking costly political message.
Fair enough. I haven’t seen it, so my commentary is based on the spoilery stuff I have seen about it since it opened. This includes general opinions, plot descriptions, scene descriptions, etc. it has been UNIVERSALLY panned (at least no one is outwardly defending it) so I don’t feel many negative takes are that controversial. It will certainly go down as one of the biggest bombs in cinematic history, and MAYBE one of the flat out worst movies in history.

If Phoenix/Phillips did in fact, blatantly try to retroactively torpedo the success of the first movie for “reasons”, well, that COULD actually lead to some legal issues with WB and/or DC down the line. Not to mention making both of them radioactive moving forward.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I haven’t seen it, so my commentary is based on the spoilery stuff I have seen about it since it opened. This includes general opinions, plot descriptions, scene descriptions, etc. it has been UNIVERSALLY panned (at least no one is outwardly defending it) so I don’t feel many negative takes are that controversial. It will certainly go down as one of the biggest bombs in cinematic history, and MAYBE one of the flat out worst movies in history.

If Phoenix/Phillips did in fact, blatantly try to retroactively torpedo the success of the first movie for “reasons”, well, that COULD actually lead to some legal issues with WB and/or DC down the line. Not to mention making both of them radioactive moving forward.

It seems very much a criticism of all the villain being anti hero movies

But it also totally shits on the first movie pretty intentionally

There’s no way this was what was best for business

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating on a dead horse, but this is fascinating to watch. 82% drop, that's just ridiculous.

1728839417149.png

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t pull a bait and switch with Harley Quinn invovled and then claim it’s not joker

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They seemed to try and take a page out of what Gotham did with their first joker…

But they went way too far with Harley and dent etc

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could’ve done the result they did without lighting the franchise on fire

The whole DC will be affected by this. Because of the previous regime, James Gunn already had a tough job in front of him, and this will make everything more difficult for the brand. I know it's unfair because the new DC Studios didn't have anything to do with this movie, but it is what it is, and to the general public this is still a DC project.

Penguin is a silverlining, but I don't think enough people are watching it to counterweight a failure as massive as Joker.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole DC will be affected by this. Because of the previous regime, James Gunn already had a tough job in front of him, and this will make everything more difficult for the brand. I know it's unfair because the new DC Studios didn't have anything to do with this movie, but it is what it is, and to the general public this is still a DC project.

Penguin is a silverlining, but I don't think enough people are watching it to counterweight a failure as massive as Joker.

right... there is a difference between Morbius, and Madame Webb failing than this... only the comic book fans know those are spiderman universe characters... and the movies at most make mild mention of spiderman...

Madame web, she was friends with uncle Ben...

Joker, everyone knows is linked to batman... so it is harder to convince people that the movies are not related...