• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Burrow Injury Watch.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson making 35 million, we might match that, but not going to pay Chase 40.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not letting personal feeling dictate it because it is not my money. What I am letting dictate this is common sense. You resign Higgins to a 4 year deal. You tell Chase he had the more years because you will franchise tag him in the years. Then he can walk and dictate who he wants to go to for how much. So I'm the meantime, we have Chase, Higgins and Burton for at least three years. That opens up or window to compete with the offense for the years instead of 1.
I'm just saying - this deal is going to get done. He's going to get $40M so you need to make your peace with that.

The big issue here isn't the money. It's that he wants the contract extension to start right now - when he has 2 years left. That's a non-starter and likely why the deal hasn't been done.

The Bengals have tons of cap and flexibility - and like it or not - this IS the market for WR. Higgins is going to get near $30M in F/A. You can have a #2 WR for $30M or a top 5 WR for $40....in a world of Billions $10M ain't even a McDouble......

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson making 35 million, we might match that, but not going to pay Chase 40.
The issue here isn't the money. It's the timing and years. He wants to be extended now. He has 2 years left on his current deal basically making this a 2 year deal...not going to happen.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying - this deal is going to get done. He's going to get $40M so you need to make your peace with that.

The big issue here isn't the money. It's that he wants the contract extension to start right now - when he has 2 years left. That's a non-starter and likely why the deal hasn't been done.

The Bengals have tons of cap and flexibility - and like it or not - this IS the market for WR. Higgins is going to get near $30M in F/A. You can have a #2 WR for $30M or a top 5 WR for $40....in a world of Billions $10M ain't even a McDouble......
Higgins is a #1. He is just bottom half of #1's. I would rather take a chance on Higgins for between 25 to 30 million for 4 years, keep Chase around another 3 years, and add Burton to that list for another 4 years. Saves us a ton of money to spread around, and it keeps the band together for at least 3 years. Let Chase do his thing somewhere else in 2 to 3 years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins is a #1. He is just bottom half of #1's. I would rather take a chance on Higgins for between 25 to 30 million for 4 years, keep Chase around another 3 years, and add Burton to that list for another 4 years. Saves us a ton of money to spread around, and it keeps the band together for at least 3 years. Let Chase do his thing somewhere else in 2 to 3 years.
So...you'd pay a bottom half #1/top tier #2 $30M but wouldn't pay a top 5 $40?

Make it make sense....

Again - issue here is NOT the money - it's just not.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...you'd pay a bottom half #1/top tier #2 $30M but wouldn't pay a top 5 $40?

Make it make sense....

Again - issue here is NOT the money - it's just not.
Higgins gets more touches when Chase is not on the field. $40 million is too fucking much, and Chase has never led the league in receiving, not even close, he is no Chad Johnson who led the AFC in receiving in 5 straight years.. Difference is, we also have a top 5 QB, and if we didn't have that, I take the top 5 WR. As it sits, I take top 15-20 WR and the top 5 QB and save the fucking money. Chase can pound sand. But once again, you are just seeing Chase being gone. I am not. I see 3 more years out of him with Higgins and Burton. I am seeing a larger window for accumulative talent, and a lesson to be learned by assholes.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bengals have some difficult decisions. we have to pay burrow - that's #1, you have to pay an OL to protect burrow - that's #2

you have to have a good defense to win playoff games - that's #3

fancy WR is a luxury item, falls in #4, nice to have. if our QB was browning, absolutely we need a 40 million dollar man to make him look good.

nevertheless, I fully expect the Bengals to eventually find some structure to the contract that benefits both parties. it's all drama at this point, but it's not real drama.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I have crapped a bit on SI - but mostly their "hit" articles that are the quick 1-minute read type stuff designed to drive clicks...

This article, however, is fantastic and an extremely insightful look into Burrow's mindset through recovery and also how he approaches being a QB...

This dude has a chance to be in the league a very, very long time as long as his health cooperates because his mind/approach is going to allow him to evolve through a lot of his career, especially late, in the mold of guys like Manning and Brady...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I have crapped a bit on SI - but mostly their "hit" articles that are the quick 1-minute read type stuff designed to drive clicks...

This article, however, is fantastic and an extremely insightful look into Burrow's mindset through recovery and also how he approaches being a QB...

This dude has a chance to be in the league a very, very long time as long as his health cooperates because his mind/approach is going to allow him to evolve through a lot of his career, especially late, in the mold of guys like Manning and Brady...

Great article. Definitely has me excited what he can do for a whole game instead of one drive, which by the way ended in a long drive and TD.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article. Definitely has me excited what he can do for a whole game instead of one drive, which by the way ended in a long drive and TD.
I think we always knew that Burrow has had a bit of a mental edge when it comes to his approach to the game. Yes, he's had the talent, but the work he put in from day 1 was evident. Reading through how he spends his time, and spent his time, while recovering or in the off-season just driven to be better. Watching endless hours of tape - even against a team like Indy who they don't even play - just so that he knows how to check in/out of a play call based on what he is seeing. That quote with the Indy quote is just money on how prepared Burrow is mentally and driven to get better.

The great ones always have enough physical talent - it's the work they put in off the field that helps to drive them to greatness. Montana, Elway, Brady, Manning....you saw it with all of them. They lasted a long, long time in the league because even after their physical traits started to diminish - they could get it done at a high level thanks to their mental approach. I think Burrow is certainly on this path.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's Rodgers excuse for being really good? He doesn't seem like someone that gives two shits to me in the off-season.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we always knew that Burrow has had a bit of a mental edge when it comes to his approach to the game. Yes, he's had the talent, but the work he put in from day 1 was evident. Reading through how he spends his time, and spent his time, while recovering or in the off-season just driven to be better. Watching endless hours of tape - even against a team like Indy who they don't even play - just so that he knows how to check in/out of a play call based on what he is seeing. That quote with the Indy quote is just money on how prepared Burrow is mentally and driven to get better.

The great ones always have enough physical talent - it's the work they put in off the field that helps to drive them to greatness. Montana, Elway, Brady, Manning....you saw it with all of them. They lasted a long, long time in the league because even after their physical traits started to diminish - they could get it done at a high level thanks to their mental approach. I think Burrow is certainly on this path.
I think Manning was the best example of your point. By the end of his career, he couldn't throw a spiral with any sort of velocity and he still could move the ball when he needed to. It sort of fell of that last year, but it was impressive... It was almost like he was playing left handed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's Rodgers excuse for being really good? He doesn't seem like someone that gives two shits to me in the off-season.
I think his physical talent is still pretty darn good...at least it was in GB. Results will vary since he not only changed teams, but then missed an entire year.

If you are uber physically talented - you can get by for awhile...it's a matter of when that physical talent fades. Some guys keep it for most of their careers, some don't. Some are able to extend their careers because of their mental approach, and some simply hang it up. Of course, there are also those who are just busted out - i.e. Brees - who no matter how good mentally you are - physically it isn't possible anymore.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a difference between the Aaron Rogers that was building his career and what he became. I mean, I think it's clear that he is a smart dude - But sometimes even smart people believe in weird shit. And I'm guessing there was a point in his career that Rogers worked his tail off during the offseason. He has always struck me as a hypercompetitive guy - Someone that would do what it takes to win. But he's also evolved into a batshit crazy dude that doesn't seem to particularly inclined to keep his mouth shut and just play football. I will say that there are a lot of guys that are teammates of him that think he's terrific and that he is a big help to their careers.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so odd how many people are discussing Joe's wrist, his use of gloves, flexing the wrist, etc..... The dude had surgery on his wrist last November. Things take time. The season after his knee injury, Joe frequently rode the exercise bike during games. He had a gigantic brace on his leg. Everyone assumed those things are normal. Is it a stretch to believe that there is tightness and soreness after surgically correcting damage? For the love of god, the dude throws over 100 passes a day in practice. I think he can throw just fine. Personally, I'm more worried about his mental state - Looks like he is battling the yips a little bit. Understandable but hopefully it will pass.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so odd how many people are discussing Joe's wrist, his use of gloves, flexing the wrist, etc..... The dude had surgery on his wrist last November. Things take time. The season after his knee injury, Joe frequently rode the exercise bike during games. He had a gigantic brace on his leg. Everyone assumed those things are normal. Is it a stretch to believe that there is tightness and soreness after surgically correcting damage? For the love of god, the dude throws over 100 passes a day in practice. I think he can throw just fine. Personally, I'm more worried about his mental state - Looks like he is battling the yips a little bit. Understandable but hopefully it will pass.
I agree with pretty much everything you ever post on here This is the same way. Do people honestly think that he will not experience some discomfort, some set backs, some pain from time to time, even swelling? It is not going to be 100% I don't hink for half the season, but I think the biggest huddle is his mental part of his game. He is bailing and dumping passes too quickly before letting the field set up because he is hearing footsteps and seeing ghosts out there. He needs to get his comfort back in the pocket and learn to trust this offensive line a little more. But once again, because of Zac Taylor, that was preseason game 1 for Burrow, he has at the very minimum 1 more game to go through to get his preseason out of the way.