• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Burrow Injury Watch.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Cool walking through the preseason like...

Ben Stiller Swag GIF

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On other news....Jamar Chase be like..

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology
19 days until our first game and the guy hasn't practiced. He definitely isn't practicing against Indy today. Not playing Thursday. Next week is basically it until preparations begin for week 1. I know we're all supposed to be cool about it and believe it is going to get done or that Chase is going to play, but I still don't see it. I think it's more likely that he sits out Week 1 than people realize.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
19 days until our first game and the guy hasn't practiced. He definitely isn't practicing against Indy today. Not playing Thursday. Next week is basically it until preparations begin for week 1. I know we're all supposed to be cool about it and believe it is going to get done or that Chase is going to play, but I still don't see it. I think it's more likely that he sits out Week 1 than people realize.
Chad Johnson (take this for what it is worth) says he doesn't believe that Chase will set foot on the field this year unless he has a new long term contract. He also believes the Bengals and Chase are close and he should sign a new contract with the team this week. I personally don't take Chad's take on this legit either way, but I assume he has considerably more inside knowledge than I do. So while not exactly a reliable source, better than most reporters out there.

Way 1...we're Fd
Way 2...good, but I want the details.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should he even be playing in the pre season?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Johnson (take this for what it is worth) says he doesn't believe that Chase will set foot on the field this year unless he has a new long term contract. He also believes the Bengals and Chase are close and he should sign a new contract with the team this week. I personally don't take Chad's take on this legit either way, but I assume he has considerably more inside knowledge than I do. So while not exactly a reliable source, better than most reporters out there.

Way 1...we're Fd
Way 2...good, but I want the details.
I don't think Chad knows anything. I think he's just guessing.

It's hard for me to imagine Chase holding out for an entire year. His contract for the year is comparatively low (only a million or so), but the club could start fining him which could force his hand a little. Plus, with two years of control, it's hard to imagine how this would go well for Chase.

But, he could continue to sit out practice and he could wait until the last moment to join the club before week 1. I know some folks don't think this would matter, but I think the last few offseasons have demonstrated what happens when there isn't enough practice. So, I do think it matters and can have a difference. We'll see.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Chad knows anything. I think he's just guessing.

It's hard for me to imagine Chase holding out for an entire year. His contract for the year is comparatively low (only a million or so), but the club could start fining him which could force his hand a little. Plus, with two years of control, it's hard to imagine how this would go well for Chase.

But, he could continue to sit out practice and he could wait until the last moment to join the club before week 1. I know some folks don't think this would matter, but I think the last few offseasons have demonstrated what happens when there isn't enough practice. So, I do think it matters and can have a difference. We'll see.
I fully agree. We finally have a healthy Burrow through camp, and Higgins is playing for a massive contract and won't be here next year. This is our year, and with Chase sitting around and not being in playing condition, i think it will play a toll on him through the first 4 + games until he is. That is if he signs before the beginning of the season.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be really dumb for Chase to hold out...Bengals own him for 3 more years...4 if they wanted to double tag...(this, next years' 5th option, Tag, Double Tag).

He'll play - he doesn't have any leverage, really...and no matter how good you are...if you want to sit out a full year, even 2...it doesn't bode well. Look at Watson up in Cleveland. He missed basically 2 years in the window where he was coming into his own as one of THE premier QB's in the league. We'll see how he does this year, but to this point - he's looked like hot dogshit.

Chase wanted this game...now he's getting it. Quite honestly - I don't really feel for him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be really dumb for Chase to hold out...Bengals own him for 3 more years...4 if they wanted to double tag...(this, next years' 5th option, Tag, Double Tag).

He'll play - he doesn't have any leverage, really...and no matter how good you are...if you want to sit out a full year, even 2...it doesn't bode well. Look at Watson up in Cleveland. He missed basically 2 years in the window where he was coming into his own as one of THE premier QB's in the league. We'll see how he does this year, but to this point - he's looked like hot dogshit.

Chase wanted this game...now he's getting it. Quite honestly - I don't really feel for him.
As I mentioned before, this is an interesting precedent set by the Bengals.... By paying him his reporting bonus and refusing to fine him for his "hold-in" they have essentially allowed this to happen. They could have fined Chase from day 1, which admittedly would have caused it's own set of issues, but I'm not sure they would be worse off.

I will also, once again, state that I have no idea what Chase is doing. This makes more sense if you are going into your contract year.... You can force their hand a little, absorb some fines for missed time, and still sign in enough time to make a big salary. The Bengals have all the leverage here.... But the player has some protections. Even if Chase were injured, he is guaranteed this year's money and next year's money (20 some million). So, it's not that he won't be compensated for his risk. I just can't understand what point he thinks he is making.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Chase gets an obscure off field injury, I'll be mad. I'm sure he's doing his workouts, maybe even getting reps we don't know about.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my prediction is we win week 1 without him. Tee Higgins gets 100+ yards and a TD, Iosivas, Burton shine.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Chase gets an obscure off field injury, I'll be mad. I'm sure he's doing his workouts, maybe even getting reps we don't know about.
He has left nearly every practice (after it is over) and gone off to train.

He'll be in shape and be ready - but he won't be "game" ready for 2-3 weeks. Chase is likely good enough that it might not matter a ton as long as the OL is solid, and you end up with a healthy Burrow, Higgins, Yoshi, Burton - Gesicki, All, Hudson splitting out wide at times and a decent amount of production out of the RBs...He's probably in a good spot to hold out and then show up late...but his leverage is almost nil - so - regardless of what he thinks he can do - he's going to show up sooner than later.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has left nearly every practice (after it is over) and gone off to train.

He'll be in shape and be ready - but he won't be "game" ready for 2-3 weeks. Chase is likely good enough that it might not matter a ton as long as the OL is solid, and you end up with a healthy Burrow, Higgins, Yoshi, Burton - Gesicki, All, Hudson splitting out wide at times and a decent amount of production out of the RBs...He's probably in a good spot to hold out and then show up late...but his leverage is almost nil - so - regardless of what he thinks he can do - he's going to show up sooner than later.
If he wants $40 million a year I say fuck him. Resign Higgins and tell Chase to pound sand.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants $40 million a year I say fuck him. Resign Higgins and tell Chase to pound sand.
Jefferson is getting $35....is $40 really that far fetched? Each top tier guys is going to look to re-set the market. This really isn't news, nor is it really that big of a deal.

As I said in the other thread - I think the big issue here is timing...Jefferson got his deal when his 5th year option was in play. Chase doesn't have that until next year, which is when I think they get a deal done.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he should talk to Le'veon Bell??

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he should talk to Le'veon Bell??
If 40 million is really his asking price...I force that dumb fuck to play two more years, tag his ass and trade him to another dumb fuck franchise who will pay him $40 million.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson is getting $35....is $40 really that far fetched? Each top tier guys is going to look to re-set the market. This really isn't news, nor is it really that big of a deal.

As I said in the other thread - I think the big issue here is timing...Jefferson got his deal when his 5th year option was in play. Chase doesn't have that until next year, which is when I think they get a deal done.
Yes, because not every receiver can keep setting the market higher and higher. The #1 WR set the market, as the guy that needs to be the highest paid player. This league is not just QB, WR and a couple DE's. You need to pay other players, so at $40 million he can go fuck himself from now until the end of days.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because not every receiver can keep setting the market higher and higher. The #1 WR set the market, as the guy that needs to be the highest paid player. This league is not just QB, WR and a couple DE's. You need to pay other players, so at $40 million he can go fuck himself from now until the end of days.
I don't disagree with your thoughts - but unfortunately that is how the game is played.

You can only draft/develop so many players...eventually some of them are going to come due.

Again - you pay him the $20+ million in addition to the $20+ million you were already going to pay him in year 1 of the extension due to the 5th year kicker...and you are only really looking at paying that $40M in year 2...which is 2 years away - and even if every WR doesn't set the market, eventually WR are just going to be passing that up.

Then you are going to be looking at paying $30M for a #2 type guy....for $10M more you could have just had Chase.

I think you are letting your personal feelings dictate a bit too much in this instance. Again - I agree, not every WR can re-set the Market - but Chase is a top 5 guy and those top 5-7 guys are always going to be the ones that likely set the market....like it, or not.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with your thoughts - but unfortunately that is how the game is played.

You can only draft/develop so many players...eventually some of them are going to come due.

Again - you pay him the $20+ million in addition to the $20+ million you were already going to pay him in year 1 of the extension due to the 5th year kicker...and you are only really looking at paying that $40M in year 2...which is 2 years away - and even if every WR doesn't set the market, eventually WR are just going to be passing that up.

Then you are going to be looking at paying $30M for a #2 type guy....for $10M more you could have just had Chase.

I think you are letting your personal feelings dictate a bit too much in this instance. Again - I agree, not every WR can re-set the Market - but Chase is a top 5 guy and those top 5-7 guys are always going to be the ones that likely set the market....like it, or not.
Not letting personal feeling dictate it because it is not my money. What I am letting dictate this is common sense. You resign Higgins to a 4 year deal. You tell Chase he had the more years because you will franchise tag him in the years. Then he can walk and dictate who he wants to go to for how much. So I'm the meantime, we have Chase, Higgins and Burton for at least three years. That opens up or window to compete with the offense for the years instead of 1.