• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Garoppolo will be an elite quarterback, and the 49ers fleeced the Patriots by only paying a 2R

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit early to say this.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bit early to say this.

It certainly is. He's got a couple of issues. He tends to be a bit flat-footed on deeper throws, and relies on his arm talent at times (exceptionally quick release) when he doesn't need to. Those are minor things given that throwing long won't be a major staple of the offense and a lot of times he had to rely on that quick release due to the bad offensive line. The great ones keep working at what needs to be fixed/improved.

Having said that....he has practically single-handedly turned around an obviously talentless bunch on offense, and made them more than acceptable - undefeated in all of his starts. He's got incredible accuracy for the short/intermediate passing game. He manipulates coverages, and knows where to go with the football. He stands tall in the pocket when it has collapsed all around him, and as stated, he can deliver a ball with a simple Aaron Rodgers/Dan Marino flick-like release. He doesn't have their cannons, but he's got the snap. He can move around inside the pocket to buy that extra second or two.

Bottom line is, I don't really care whether the 49ers stole JG or the Patriots traded the wrong QB or whatever. Based on what I've seen....if it's legit, he's gonna be a true superstar. I mean top 3 type QB in the league.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's too early too say if he'll be on the level of a Brady, Brees, or Rodgers but I don't think it's too early to say that he'll be a good QB in the league.

The roster of the 9ers especially on offense was terrible so you can't really say it's a case where his deficiencies are being masked by the talent around him. It's a clear case of him making the talent around him better and not the other way around. The 9ers would be 1-15 maybe 2-14 if Jimmy G didn't start those 5 games.

Also he's already shown things that you want elite QBs to do. Superb pocket presence, quick release, great accuracy, and the ability to quickly read a defense and make correct and timely decisions with the football. His success didn't come from raw athleticism and a dumbed down playbook but from big boy QB play.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The 9ers didn't have a very good roster this season so I didn't care who Garoppolo beat but more the fact he lead the team to wins they wouldn't have gotten without him.

If the 9ers played the Pats, Steelers, Vikings, Saints, etc they probably would've lost convincingly even with Garoppolo under center not because Jimmy himself isn't capable but the team around him isn't that great.

Interior of the 9ers line isn't good and the 4 of the last 5 games the RT has been the backup LG who sucked at being LG. So the running game hasn't been there and without his quick release he would be getting killed trying to pass the ball.

And when it comes to his targets Garcon was injured before Jimmy became the starter, Goodwin is his #1 WR, and the other guys are rookies and vets who would be on the roster bubble on other teams.

If you watch him closely in the games he's played he looks every bit the part of what you see in other elite QBs. The only thing he needs to clean up is his deep ball accuracy and he tends to have a couple of Romos a game but those are issues that can be polished with work and experience.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still wish the Pats had him but he paid his dues and needed his moment in the spotlight, hats off to him
The Pats should have asked Brady to retire or traded him.

Last edited:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be fine as long as he has protection. Even the best can get seriously hurt. He was hurt once but not seriously. He's not big. 6'2" 210. Those 265 lb linebackers cause a lot of damage. Then again, so dom210 lb safeties.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disappointed that we lost him but as for the compensation, who cares? We simply weren't going to be able to keep him.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 games."gonna be elite" lol.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2