• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Harbaugh compares Bradshaw non-fumble to tuck rule

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sixteen years ago, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh saw a berth in the Super Bowl evaporate after teammate Quentin Coryatt failed to secure a pass from Steelers quarterback Neil O’Donnell that hit Coryatt right in the stomach. On Sunday, another near miss on a turnover helped keep the former Colts quarterback’s team from getting back to Indianapolis.

Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw caught a short pass late in regulation, and he immediately was pushed backward. Before he hit the ground, the ball came out. And the 49ers recovered.

But the officials ruled that Bradshaw’s forward progress had been stopped. Thus, no fumble. And no turnover.

On Monday, Harbaugh expressed his displeasure with the ruling.

“In my opinion, that was a fumble,” Harbaugh said Monday, via NFL.com. “I’m sure the league will defend it and the officials will defend it. But to me, that play was still going on. There was still struggling by Bradshaw. . . . I felt like it was analogous with the tuck rule.”

As much as we like and respect the man who without question was the NFL’s coach of the year, Harbaugh has this one wrong. The rule regarding forward progress is used routinely, the tuck rule sparingly.

In this specific case, Bradshaw’s forward progress was stopped. He was being yanked backward, not falling forward. So it was a good call. (As was the use of the tuck rule a decade ago.)

The only remaining question is whether Harbaugh’s comments crossed the vague and at times shifting line between what will and won’t get a head coach fined for criticizing the officials.

Jim Harbaugh compares Bradshaw non-fumble to tuck rule | ProFootballTalk

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that I don't think that Harbaugh gives a shit as to whether he gets fined or not.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever lol

It was a poor call and everyone knows it. Bradshaw was not being held up and pushed backwards on the play. He was being tackled from behind and trying to stay on his feet until a 2nd 49er ran up and yanked the ball out. The blew the whistle the second that 2nd 49er touched him as if they were expecting them to try and hold him and rip the ball out. The problem is the ball was ripped out instantly right before the 1st guy completed his tackle and dragged Bradshaw to the ground.

If just getting tackled and dragged down from behind means your forward momentum is stopped then my God we need to go back and erase a lot of fumbles in NFL History.

It reminds me of a play earlier in the year when Alex Smith completed a shuffle pass to Gore with a defender hanging off his legs. The official ruled Alex forward progress had stopped and the play was over. The play clearly was not over and progress was clearly not stopped if the QB was able to complete a pass -_-

The same deal with the Bradshaw fumble in my opinion. He was not down nor was he being stood up and pushed backward. He was on his feet because he was trying to fight off the initial tackle. It was when the 2nd tackler came over that Bradshaw stopped fighting and tried to go down, but the ball was ripped out before hand.

If that's not a fumble then neither was the first Kyle Williams botched punt. I'll stand behind the wind caused that ball to move instead of his knee if people want to stand by Bradshaw had his momentum stopped.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whatever lol

It was a poor call and everyone knows it. Bradshaw was not being held up and pushed backwards on the play. He was being tackled from behind and trying to stay on his feet until a 2nd 49er ran up and yanked the ball out. The blew the whistle the second that 2nd 49er touched him as if they were expecting them to try and hold him and rip the ball out. The problem is the ball was ripped out instantly right before the 1st guy completed his tackle and dragged Bradshaw to the ground.

If just getting tackled and dragged down from behind means your forward momentum is stopped then my God we need to go back and erase a lot of fumbles in NFL History.

It reminds me of a play earlier in the year when Alex Smith completed a shuffle pass to Gore with a defender hanging off his legs. The official ruled Alex forward progress had stopped and the play was over. The play clearly was not over and progress was clearly not stopped if the QB was able to complete a pass -_-

The same deal with the Bradshaw fumble in my opinion. He was not down nor was he being stood up and pushed backward. He was on his feet because he was trying to fight off the initial tackle. It was when the 2nd tackler came over that Bradshaw stopped fighting and tried to go down, but the ball was ripped out before hand.

If that's not a fumble then neither was the first Kyle Williams botched punt. I'll stand behind the wind caused that ball to move instead of his knee if people want to stand by Bradshaw had his momentum stopped.

love it!

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same thing that it's just like the tuck rule. And if Jennings didn't fumble the ball, then that shit DID NOT hit Williams leg.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs were wearing Giants' panties in this game. Not responsible for the loss, but certainly played a part. Several holds on the Giant's D weren't called either.