• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jets to interview Quinn and Cable

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god please take Cable, we as hawk fans might suffer another year of the bad oline play as a new Oline /Assistant HC is brought up to speed but i am ok with that. One thing Wilson has proven is he can do a lot even with one of the worst blocking Olines in the league. I just think a new direction is needed there because what ever they are doing is NOT working at all. The play has not got better at ALL not even a little bit.

Like they say, Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results. The Hawks have been Crazy keeping Cable here as long as they have.:gaah:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that one man.... Cable has dealt with serious O-line issues not only with injuries, but lack of big time talent, and turned our running game into something special since he got here... I like Cable personally and think he's done a helluva job overall... Think of all the young O-lineman he's had to coach up and stick in the fire over the last couple years...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that one man.... Cable has dealt with serious O-line issues not only with injuries, but lack of big time talent, and turned our running game into something special since he got here... I like Cable personally and think he's done a helluva job overall... Think of all the young O-lineman he's had to coach up and stick in the fire over the last couple years...

Part of that is his fault, though. He has a major say, possibly even the final say, on the linemen we draft. He can't help it when guys get hurt, but in terms of getting more talented guys in here in general, that's on him. I know that this offense is a run-first offense and the first thing they look for when evaluating linemen is the ability to run block in their blocking scheme, but I get the impression sometimes that pass protection is lower on their list of qualities in an offensive lineman than second behind run blocking.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our line when it's healthy. Unger/Okung/Carpenter MAUL the run game, it's quite ridiculous. Britt was also a good pick as he's been 'solid' which is what you expect of a RT taken in the late 2nd.

We're also playing in a division where you face Long/Quinn/Donald (despite Long's injury this year, he'll be back), Smith/Smith, and Campbell/Dockett (despite Dockett's injury) and the BLITZ 24/7 mentality of the Cards.

Not exactly easy on a line to face that 1/3+ of the year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of big time talent? I guess that depends on the definition, but we have early round draft picks all over the place on that line. Aren't Okung, Unger, Carpenter, and Britt all 1st or 2nd round picks? I know injuries have been a factor, but that unit even when healthy hasn't lived up. I think some of that needs to fall at Cable's feet. The credit I'll give him is that when starters go down, the backup comes in and generally there isn't much of a drop off on the overall play of the line..... but that's probably more to do with the fact it's not a very good line than Cable's coaching genius, but the backups have held it together for the most part: Russell is still breathing, we kept winning, etc. This continues to be the worst unit on the team though. Cable owns some of that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higher draft picks don't always mean high talent though ... Some guys just don't pan out at the NFL level ... Our line while obviously not great overall, has been solid in the running game since Cable got here ... Also the young guys seem to plug in and do well even when we've been down 3 starters at times ... I've had more frustration with Bevelle honestly ....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higher draft picks don't always mean high talent though ... Some guys just don't pan out at the NFL level ... Our line while obviously not great overall, has been solid in the running game since Cable got here ... Also the young guys seem to plug in and do well even when we've been down 3 starters at times ... I've had more frustration with Bevelle honestly ....

Sure, not all 1st or 2nd round picks work out, but this regime thought enough of their talent to take them that early, so either way it goes back on them IMO. Either they got the talent wrong or couldn't coach it up.

But there are 2 pro bowlers on this line. That's more than most, and it's plenty enough to not play the "lack of talent" card as an excuse for Cable. Just my opinion.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the injury statement:

The offensive line has had it's entire starting five start a game 4 times this season. 4. The first 4 games. They have started 4 different centers. 4. I think this season's woes on picking up the blitz and other issues is that blocking schemes aren't being properly adjusted. Just a thought.

In the 6 games Unger has played Seattle is averaging 204 yards rushing per game 6 yards per carry and 1.7 TDs (205 carries, 1223 yards, 10 TD). Without him it's 153.9 ypg, 4.8 ypc & 1.0 TD/g (320 carries, 1539 yards, 10 TD in 10 games), not bad, just a step below when he's there. Also, when Unger is in, Russell is sacked on average twice per game (13), and without him it's three times per game (29).

It'll be nice when Unger get back. Everyone on the line plays better with him in there.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, not all 1st or 2nd round picks work out, but this regime thought enough of their talent to take them that early, so either way it goes back on them IMO. Either they got the talent wrong or couldn't coach it up.

But there are 2 pro bowlers on this line. That's more than most, and it's plenty enough to not play the "lack of talent" card as an excuse for Cable. Just my opinion.

What's the excuse ? Our line has actually performed well in big games, and with key injuries .... And our run blocking has been solid under Cable....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the excuse ? Our line has actually performed well in big games, and with key injuries .... And our run blocking has been solid under Cable....

It sure seemed to me you were using that (lack of "big time" talent) as a reason why the line has struggled. If that wasn't what you meant, I guess I misread.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this OL is not very good. I'll give you that it's usually adequate vs the run, but most of the time it's very poor in pass-pro. And even in the running game, we all lose count of the number of times Lynch makes a 2 yard gain out of a 3 yard loss because the defense is having a party in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball.

This is just not a very good OL. Cable should be able to do more when there are 4 players on it drafted in the first 2 rounds.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other then the last Cardinal game, what other big game has the OL performed well, this year?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure seemed to me you were using that (lack of "big time" talent) as a reason why the line has struggled. If that wasn't what you meant, I guess I misread.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this OL is not very good. I'll give you that it's usually adequate vs the run, but most of the time it's very poor in pass-pro. And even in the running game, we all lose count of the number of times Lynch makes a 2 yard gain out of a 3 yard loss because the defense is having a party in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball.

This is just not a very good OL. Cable should be able to do more when there are 4 players on it drafted in the first 2 rounds.

I think our pass protection has been bad at times... But last year our line ended on a strong note... I don't think Wilson even got touched in the Super Bowl... I thought overall once we got healthy our O-line did a solid job in the playoffs last year for sure... During the season though there have been times our line has struggled with pass protection, some of those times are from key injuries though..

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other then the last Cardinal game, what other big game has the OL performed well, this year?

We've won 9 of 10 games .... during this stretch our line has played fairly solid... On the road in Philly we controlled the time of possession like crazy from affectively moving the ball... 49rs game on the road... I would say the've been decent ... Cards game was obviously the best considering we had 2 of our best O-lineman out for that game... But look how good the line has been in BIG games... That's the most important time to step up and play well... And for the most part they have ....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our pass protection has been bad at times... But last year our line ended on a strong note... I don't think Wilson even got touched in the Super Bowl... I thought overall once we got healthy our O-line did a solid job in the playoffs last year for sure... During the season though there have been times our line has struggled with pass protection, some of those times are from key injuries though..

Against Denver? Sure, they did fine. Denver's pass rush didn't have Von Miller, and their front 4 isn't special.

I suspect the OL will do ok in this playoff as well because the Ds we are facing -- outside of Arizona -- are nothing like the gauntlet we ran through for the last 6 weeks of the season.

Doesn't really change the fact that this OL is a below average group, and it's been that way a couple seasons now. Honestly, isn't this the weakest unit or aspect of the team?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Denver? Sure, they did fine. Denver's pass rush didn't have Von Miller, and their front 4 isn't special.

I suspect the OL will do ok in this playoff as well because the Ds we are facing -- outside of Arizona -- are nothing like the gauntlet we ran through for the last 6 weeks of the season.

Doesn't really change the fact that this OL is a below average group, and it's been that way a couple seasons now. Honestly, isn't this the weakest unit or aspect of the team?

I think our weakest aspect is our receivers honestly... 2 rookies, Baldwin and Kearse... And effin Luke Wilson who watched passes bounce off his face mask that are right too him... People just don't realize how good Russell is considering the weapons he has to throw the rock to ... I will say though Baldwin is very under-rated... Love that guy....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WRs, as a group, are not special, I agree. But we also haven't dumped 4 1st and 2nd round picks into the position. Our most productive guys, starters Kearse and Baldwin, were not even drafted. In terms of return on investment, they're not punching below their weight like the OL.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people this line gives up almost DOUBLE the sacks on a Mobile QB than the one Matt Hasselbeck played behind in 2010. Open your eyes. Stuff it with injuries and all that BS this line is the WORST we have EVER had PERIOD and we have a Mobile QB. Just imagine how many sacks they would give up to a QB that COULDN'T move around LMAO try like 60+

there is talent there and hell we have seen the BACK-UPS play better than the STARTERS many times. This is all on Cable.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people this line gives up almost DOUBLE the sacks on a Mobile QB than the one Matt Hasselbeck played behind in 2010. Open your eyes. Stuff it with injuries and all that BS this line is the WORST we have EVER had PERIOD and we have a Mobile QB. Just imagine how many sacks they would give up to a QB that COULDN'T move around LMAO try like 60+

there is talent there and hell we have seen the BACK-UPS play better than the STARTERS many times. This is all on Cable.

I'd be interested in offensive line stats for both those two lines. Specifically, average time before pressure (against both base rush and blitz), # of pressures allowed in under 2 seconds, etc. etc. I would venture a guess that Matt Hasselbeck got rid of the ball a lot faster than an average 2.9 seconds per attempt - Russell's average this season (unconfirmed). Matt played chuck and duck that year, and the only reason his sack #'s were higher is he just didn't have the ball in his hands. I'd say this line is much better than the 2010 line, Lynch averaged 3.5 yards per attempt that year, a far cry from his 4.7 this year.

BTW, not even close to double the sacks - 2010 gave up 35 sacks, 2014 gave up 42.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't edit the last post fast enough, so this'll have to go here.

Besides, mobile QBs do tend to get sacked a lot. Randall Cunningham had 40 or more sacks 7 times and led the league in times sacked 5 times. Vick was sacked over 40 twice, including his only year with 16 games. Kaepernick has averaged 45 a year the last 2 seasons. RGIII has been sacked nearly 3 times a game for his career. Sacks just seem to be something you get with mobile guys.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Marrone opted out in Buffalo there's rumblings that he could be high on the Jets list. I kinda figured Quinn would be the Jets guy but if Marrone goes there I think that enhances the chances greatly that Quinn stays. Even though he interviewed with the Niners I dont see a match there. I think if they go with an outside hire it will be offensive guy.