• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Smith: HALL of FAMER?

66Victoria96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if any one out there was able to watch A Foot Ball Life; Jerry Smith, last week on the NFL NETWORK. And, if you think he is HOF worthy.
Personally I think he is. When he retired his numbers were comparable or better than those of past legends in John Mackey, Mike Ditka, Jackie Smith. He stood alone at the top of the touchdowns record for TEs until Shannon Sharpe surpassed his mark. What's more impressive of this mark is that Smith achieved this record while playing in 12 and 14 game schedules where receivers & tight ends were mugged from the line of scrimmage to the point of making the catch.
At the time, the passing game was still in its infancy. He payed in the era of "power" football. The power running game was the weapon of choice.
Below is a list I compiled of TEs who are in the Hall of Fame.

S. Sharpe: 815-10,060-62tds
Newsome: 662-7,980-47tds
Winslow: 541-6,741-48tds
J. Smith: 480-7,918-40tds
Ditka: 427-5,812-43tds
Casper: 378-5,216-52tds
Sanders: 336-4,817-31tds
Mackey: 331-5,236-38tds

Here is Jerry Smith's career numbers.

J. Smith: 421-5,496-60tds

Of the 8 TEs in the HOF Smith has better career numbers than Mackey, Sanders, and Casper. Really can't fault Mackey for his low numbers. He truly paved the way or future TEs. Sanders numbers are a joke. Don't even compre to those of Smith's. Should he even be in the HOF? Same can almost be said for Caper. However, growing up watching him, he made some of the most spectacular catches. Played with powerful Raiders teams over the majority of his career. Ditka's numbers compare more favorably with Smith's. A real beast.
J. Smith had a real long career. Unfortunately, he'll always be remembered for dropping a sure touchdown in Super Bowl 13. Winslow & Newsome's numbers are the product of the "new era" of the passing game. Both were amazing. Winslow was a freak of nature. If not for an injury, Winslow's numbers would of been higher. However, you'd think that as often they through the ball in the early eighties, that one of these guys would had had the TD record. Unfortunately, for Winslow, he had to share the TDs with Jefferson & Joiner.
Sharpe would eventually pass Smith as the all time leader in TDs by a TE. However, it would take him almost 400 catches more to do it in this era of the passing game.
I don't take one thing away from these TEs. They're all great. But why isn't Smith in the HOF? His numbers are definitely better or comparable to those who are already in.
His record lasted for the better part of twenty plus years through eras in wich they pass almost 30 to 40 times a game. Is it because he led a personal life that was different from others? Probably.
Should his accomplishments be tossed aside or swept under the rug because he died of AIDS? As people and a country, we've accepted & forgiven much worse.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect Smith's history is part of what has kept him out of the HOF. While he was playing he never received the same accolades as Mackey and Ditka. He was no where near the size of either of those two men. Had he not spent about half of his most productive years with George Allen he would have had even better numbers. His TD numbers alone speak volumes.

There is NO doubt that Jerry Smith should be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best TE's to ever play the game.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't remember the exact number of years before Jerry Smiths record was broken, but I think it was something like 26 years before Shannon Sharpe broke it, and that was with game and rule changes that favored offense.

That's pretty impressive. I would say Jerry deserves the Hall of fame nod.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The voters must have a significant group that care about the lifestyles of players. Charles Haley deserves to be in the hall of fame, but is not because he would take h1s dick out in the locker room to show everyone, and whack off... but most of all the media and Charles did not get along.

Jerry Smith was a great player, but I'm afraid the voting ol boys club will keep him out, which is a shame. Sonny Jurgensen knows more about football than any of those writers. I wish he could be present to make the case for Jerry Smith.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course jerry smith should be in the HOF :suds:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely...............interesting that some TE's who are in got there before him. Maybe as fans we should petition the League and voters to put him in. Anyone here know of an official way to do this? Count me in!!