• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry on Tony

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones: Tony Romo To Undergo MRI Monday, Remains Cowboys’ No. 1 QB
Sunday, October 09, 2016 8:30 PM CDT

ARLINGTON, Texas – Tony Romo is expected to undergo an MRI on Monday, and Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones was confident it would reveal some good news

“I just know that I do expect a good report Monday,” Jones said following his team’s 28-14 win against Cincinnati. “I know that Tony is feeling better.”

That much has been obvious, considering that Romo is once again throwing and conditioning after fracturing a vertebrae in his back in mid-August. But with roughly six weeks having passed since the injury, Jones said his quarterback is recovering on schedule.

He even added that he expects Romo’s latest MRI to reveal the bone to be healed.

“I’ve been told that as of the last MRI, that the next one they take would show that,” he said

The thought of Romo’s healthy return prompts some interesting questions about the future, considering what all has happened since he first suffered the injury.

The Cowboys have won four-straight games on the strength of some incredible play from rookie quarterback Dak Prescott. Sunday’s dominant win against the Bengals might have been the most impressive entry to date, as Prescott threw for 227 yards and a touchdown, and added another score on the ground.

It might not be an issue Cowboys officials want to address, but there’s been no shortage of speculation from fans and media that perhaps Prescott should maintain his hold on the starting role – even when Romo returns.

But if that’s something that is troubling Jones, he certainly didn’t show it as he quashed the thought with relative ease.

“Tony is our No. 1 quarterback. We’re going to have the luxury of being able to, I think, see them both,” he said. “I don’t want to presume that Dak is going to be necessarily healthy, I don’t want to presume anything like that. But I welcome the opportunity of having Dak playing at this level and Tony back in excellent health. It’s going to be really special for the Cowboys.”

It likely isn’t a problem the Cowboys will have to face just yet. Even if Romo’s MRI reveals him to be healed, it seems unlikely he’d rush back to play next week against Green Bay. And with a bye week looming after that trip to play the Packers, the Cowboys have another added week to let Romo recover.

That fact is why reports target the Week 8 game against Philadelphia as Romo’s likely return date. But when he was asked about that on Sunday, Jones was reluctant to speculate on timelines. He made the very fair observation that the Cowboys’ 4-1 record gives them time to figure out their gameplan.

“I don’t think we could – and should – get ahead of ourselves and start looking at a spot,” he said. “If we can keep winning these ballgames and end up with an improved team as we move along, the arrow going up, then that would put us in good shape if you wanted to kind of look down the road like we’re doing here. But let’s get Green Bay.”

Having said that, each passing week brings the Cowboys closer to having two healthy, capable starting quarterbacks on their roster. And if that sounds like a stressful proposition, Jones assured everyone – it’s not.

“I’ll show you some hard days around here without a quarterback, if you want one that’ll really make you pout,” he said. “That’s not a problem, to have that.”

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignore the writers comments and opinions. When I read it a second time, I'm not sure what Jerry is saying. "We're going to have the luxury of being able to, I think, see them both"?

But, the below is the key. It's a great problem to have and like I said before week 1 the best thing this team could hope for would be a quarterback controversy because that means we are playing well or even great as a team:
“That’s not a problem, to have that.”

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like I said on the general board last night when all the NFL fans starting voicing their red hot sports opinions on what Dallas should do....

let them worry about it.

it's all about stacking the W's

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like I said on the general board last night when all the NFL fans starting voicing their red hot sports opinions on what Dallas should do....

let them worry about it.

it's all about stacking the W's

I think that's the 64,000 question...do they continue to stack the Ws with Romo? My guess...if Zek is putting up a buck 30 on the ground...yes they will continue to stack the Ws with Romo.

But, if Garrett lets Tony sling it all over the lot, probably won't stack as many.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Jerry's having to make public statement's about this, probably points to an in house discussion they are having. You can't deny the facts that Dak has earned in most situations the chance to play this out. Jerry is probably wrestling with himself like most of us fans. My head is say this, but my heart is still with Tony.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the 64,000 question...do they continue to stack the Ws with Romo? My guess...if Zek is putting up a buck 30 on the ground...yes they will continue to stack the Ws with Romo.

But, if Garrett lets Tony sling it all over the lot, probably won't stack as many.
I thought a great point was made on the telecast yesterday when Zeke had his 60 yard run. On the replay, it was pointed out that the DE and play side LB were running AWAY from Zeke...to defend a potential play action roll out by Dak. Zeke is great, but I think the threat of Dak keeping the ball is helping, the same way RG3 helped Morris and Russell Wilson helped Beastmode. Add to that the Cowboys OLine, and it's no surprise Dak is completing 80% on play action. I think if Romo comes back, the passing game might be more explosive, but I'm not sure the results will be better. Running the ball, not turning it over and possessing the ball has been a winning formula forever

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Dallas drafting Elliott ahead of Ramsey says running behind the oline trumps the old days of tony slinging 45 plus passes

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stating publicly his support for Romo was only the first part of Jerry's plan.

The 2nd part.

• Find Romo's doctor
  • Slip him a cash envelope with just a 5 word note.

"It's healing slower than expected"

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is going to be a mess regardless of what happens in GB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought a great point was made on the telecast yesterday when Zeke had his 60 yard run. On the replay, it was pointed out that the DE and play side LB were running AWAY from Zeke...to defend a potential play action roll out by Dak. Zeke is great, but I think the threat of Dak keeping the ball is helping, the same way RG3 helped Morris and Russell Wilson helped Beastmode. Add to that the Cowboys OLine, and it's no surprise Dak is completing 80% on play action. I think if Romo comes back, the passing game might be more explosive, but I'm not sure the results will be better. Running the ball, not turning it over and possessing the ball has been a winning formula forever

Good points on the roll/boot action. Romo running the same play probably won't have the same effect on a DEF, not to that degree anyway. As the teams get more familiar with Dak and his tendencies later in the season and certainly next yr, he will have to challenge DEF down field a little more from the pocket....but he seems to already be ahead of RG3 in terms of recognizing he is a distributor 1st, playmaker 2nd.

Run the ball, stop the run, get the other team's QB on the ground...those 3 part of the game will never be outdated.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dallas drafting Elliott ahead of Ramsey says running behind the oline trumps the old days of tony slinging 45 plus passes

True...in some ways Elliott was a no brainer if they wanted to replace the impact of Murray.

Romo, was not just a guy, he was an established star QB...of course he should get his job back when he's able. But I do think he's need to show he can stay on the field.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points on the roll/boot action. Romo running the same play probably won't have the same effect on a DEF, not to that degree anyway. As the teams get more familiar with Dak and his tendencies later in the season and certainly next yr, he will have to challenge DEF down field a little more from the pocket....but he seems to already be ahead of RG3 in terms of recognizing he is a distributor 1st, playmaker 2nd.

Run the ball, stop the run, get the other team's QB on the ground...those 3 part of the game will never be outdated.
I think the thing that's gonna help him when those defensive adjustments come is the Cowboys OLine. It's not like anyone is gonna be able to tee off on him without bringing extra guys and leaving one on one matchups in the passing game. I also think the way they played without Dez the last two weeks is making a lot of DC's take notice. That's another guy that requires two defenders

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think Dak rolls better without Dez

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing that's gonna help him when those defensive adjustments come is the Cowboys OLine. It's not like anyone is gonna be able to tee off on him without bringing extra guys and leaving one on one matchups in the passing game. I also think the way they played without Dez the last two weeks is making a lot of DC's take notice. That's another guy that requires two defenders

DCs are pretty savvy...because young QBs are not often given a full playbook, they tend to excel at a few plays from the same formation...those are the plays DCs will try to give him the same pre-snap look, but try and take away those plays the young QB has had success with.

I think it goes back to Zek, the OL and not getting into a ton of predictable down and distance situations.

You're right, it is good he's having success w/o his WR1 playing lately...shows he's comfortable going other places with the ball...I like Dak...it's early, but with a solid cast around him it will help with the growing pains that will come.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCs are pretty savvy...because young QBs are not often given a full playbook, they tend to excel at a few plays from the same formation...those are the plays DCs will try to give him the same pre-snap look, but try and take away those plays the young QB has had success with.

I think it goes back to Zek, the OL and not getting into a ton of predictable down and distance situations.

You're right, it is good he's having success w/o his WR1 playing lately...shows he's comfortable going other places with the ball...I like Dak...it's early, but with a solid cast around him it will help with the growing pains that will come.

I think it's pretty basic right now. The Bengals had our kill play in the third quarter. It still went for 3 yrds.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This entire debate is asinine as the Brady is a system QB argument.