• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Cook

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd get him in a heartbeat to replace Delanie. Honestly, I like Delanie, and I strongly believe that he has outplayed his expectations (for a person drafted in the 6th round) for us. However, he is overly inconsistent and we can't continue to trust him in crucial situations.

Having that speedy #2 TE, has been pivotal for our offense though. So if we can someone replace Delanie's spot on the roster in 2013 for a guy like Jared Cook, I'd be extremely happy:

Jared Cook's future
11:22AM ET
Jared Cook | Titans

In the short term, the primary Jared Cook-related issue is his playing time and usage, and whether he'll continue to be a primary target in the Dowell Loggains offense. But looking beyond the end of the season, Cook is amongst the Tennessee Titans whose contract is expiring at the close of the 2012 campaign, and on whom the team must make a decision.

Andrew Strickert of Total Titans reviewed the list of Titans in contract seasons in a post this week, and he wonders how committed the organization is to utilizing the "Jared Cook offense," where the South Carolina product's skills as a receiver will be featured.

One option is the franchise tag -- which carried a $5.4 million tender for the position in 2012 -- should the team not want to commit long-term money to the TE. With many changes in the organization possible after what's been a disappointing campaign, Cook's fate may be determined partially by who's left after these changes are made.

- Tim Kavanagh​

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
is the amount of reps Walker receives now, adequate for Cook?

he'll want to seek a TE friendly offense, that doesn't already have a quality TE?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Cook on the team as another pass catching TE however that doesn't help VD though.... VD would stuck blocking again....

But Cook would be nice here IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UPDATE: The conversation on Cook's future continued in ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky's chat session on Thursday. Asked what he'd do if he were making the decision for the Titans, Kuharsky responded that he'd franchise the TE if a deal couldn't be reached.

:pb:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I say let Walker walk and target this guy. I'd even pay a little extra for his services. He and Davis would surpass Gronk/Hernandez as the best TE duos in the NFL. Unfortunately though, he thinks he's a WR in the NFL. SMFH:

Reversal: Titans won't franchise tag TE Cook

The Titans have decided against franchise tagging Jared Cook, increasing the chances Cook hits the free-agent market.

The Titans want Cook back -- and figure to continue to negotiate -- but they were unwilling to initiate a battle over his position. Cook had the NFL Players Association's backing that he's a wide receiver after spending 70 percent of his 2012 snaps out wide or in the slot. Free agency opens on Tuesday, March 12. Look for Tennessee to prioritize re-signing Cook until then.
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Mar 4 - 3:27 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
is the amount of reps Walker receives now, adequate for Cook?

he'll want to seek a TE friendly offense, that doesn't already have a quality TE?

It's a question of routes, not reps. Walker sees the field a lot. He's effectively a starter. But he doesn't see many passes. He's used primarily as a blocker.

I'd look into Cook if we lose Delanie, but I wouldn't make an aggressive move for him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cook's next stop
March, 4, 2013 3:41PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

With less than an hour to go before the NFL's deadline for teams to franchise tag one of their impending free agents, it has been reported by Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean that the Tennessee Titans will not use the designation on TE Jared Cook, and thus, no one on the roster will be tagged. There were reports that Cook was going to file a grievance that he should be designated as a WR instead of a TE, in terms of the tag, and the Titans wanted no part of such a fight. ESPN's Ed Werder notes that the tag number for a WR is about $4 million more than that for a TE.

With no tag, the Titans and Cook now have a few days left to negotiate a multi-year deal, and that could still happen. The chatter emanating from Nashville has been that the team values Cook's contributions -- and increased potential contributions in seasons ahead -- which is why many had assumed he'd be getting the tag.

If Cook doesn't re-sign with Tennessee, there are a number of teams that are logical fits as his next NFL home, including the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles. Cook's career highs for receptions (49) and yardage (759) are not anything special, but it's thought that he has the innate talent to be a difference-maker as a receiving TE.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Crimson said, I wouldn't make an aggressive move for him. Sounds good, I'd still like him here but nothing I would spend a lot for...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would think Jared Cook would get a bigger long-term contract than Delanie Walker wouldn't he?

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
could soften the TE market a bit to make re-signing Walker more affordable. Granted, Walker and Cook don't have similar skill sets, but play the same position nonetheless.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would think Jared Cook is an improvement over Walker.
He's also 3 years younger, and 5 inches taller.

I was wondering how fast Cook was so I googled it and Cook and Walker actually ran the 40 in the exact same time (4.49 seconds).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Dustin Keller would be a cheaper and about equal option.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Dustin Keller would be a cheaper and about equal option.

Keller could definitely be a good weapon in our system. He and Walker are identical in terms of how impactful they would be in our offense. Keller has better hands, and Walker is slightly better in running his routes. Walker a little bit more athletic too (dude used to return kickoffs for us at one point).

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
But can Keller block n the run game 4 us? Bcuz we all know Walker can Bingo. I just see Keller more as pass catcher n our Offense.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook is going to ask for too much. He's thinks too highly of himself from what I've reason. I'd rather have Keller, but i wouldn't be willing to pay either of them over 3 mil. a year and even that is a lot IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, there's always my idea of drafting Terron Armstead to play TE. :)

He'd immediately be the best blocking TE in the NFL by a HUGE margin, and he's a hair slower than Rob Gronkowsky (or might be just as fast). The #2 TE is gonna block WAY more than he's gonna go out for a pass anyway (which would make it a nice surprise if / when he does). If NFL scouts want to see what he can do at TE, so do I.

I'm starting to like this idea even more. Remember that Antonio Gates didn't even play football in college, and he came in and became an all-pro' TE.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think people are discounting Walker's blocking ability, not to mention his STs prowess. He's not as good a projected starting TE as Cook, but as a backup I think he stacks up favorably given his ability in those other areas. I would love to get a TE with some real height, though, who can be a legit threat in the red zone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another point about Terron Armstead:

If he did play TE, I think he could easily cut down to 285 pounds & get even faster. The guy looks like a bit pretty bulky (pumped up) already. Meaning he probably had to work to add muscle in order to get to 306:

terronarmstead.jpg