• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Cook

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another point about Terron Armstead:

If he did play TE, I think he could easily cut down to 285 pounds & get even faster. The guy looks like a bit pretty bulky (pumped up) already. Meaning he probably had to work to add muscle in order to get to 306:

terronarmstead.jpg

Would you take him with one of the team's 2nds to play TE? What about a 3rd?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Would you take him with one of the team's 2nds to play TE? What about a 3rd?

Well, that would depend heavily on whether or not the team thought he could play TE. I've never seen him play, so it would probably be a total shot in the dark.

But since the TE class is so weak and there are so few options in FA, I'd strongly consider taking him with the 3rd-round pick the Niners got from Carolina (unless Carradine, Reid or Bray were there). 2nd round? Well, I'm hoping the Niners move up in the 2nd (or down from 34), but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of taking him there.

I don't even like Zach Ertz all that much. Never did. And he might go in the FIRST round (he's a better prospect than Coby Fleener, who I thought was overrated). I guess Dodub was saying Armstead was supposed be a 3rd round prospect anyway, but him being able to play TE would make him more valuable IMO.

Worst case scenario: He fails at TE and becomes a backup LT. Sounds like a pretty good proposition to me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, for those who didn't read the other thread, I made the suggestion of trying Armstead at TE before I heard NFL teams are gonna work him out there. It was not well received.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, that would depend heavily on whether or not the team thought he could play TE. I've never seen him play, so it would probably be a total shot in the dark.

But since the TE class is so weak and there are so few options in FA, I'd strongly consider taking him with the 3rd-round pick the Niners got from Carolina (unless Carradine, Reid or Bray were there). 2nd round? Well, I'm hoping the Niners move up in the 2nd (or down from 34), but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of taking him there.

I don't even like Zach Ertz all that much. Never did. And he might go in the FIRST round (he's a better prospect than Coby Fleener, who I thought was overrated). I guess Dodub was saying Armstead was supposed be a 3rd round prospect anyway, but him being able to play TE would make him more valuable IMO.

Worst case scenario: He fails at TE and becomes a backup LT. Sounds like a pretty good proposition to me.

I'd lean towards someone taking him in the 2nd round at this point but the 3rd wouldn't shock me. I like him somewhere in the 2nd but not as a TE unless he proved he couldn't cut it at T. I'm really starting to like him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like him somewhere in the 2nd but not as a TE unless he proved he couldn't cut it at T.

I don't get the logic behind that. As a tackle, he's not going to see the field unless either Staley or Davis gets injured. As a TE, Delanie Walker was in 57.2% of the offensive plays last year. It seems like it would be more adventageous to play him at tackle only if he failed at TE.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's a video of Armstead at the Senior Bowl. People were saying how impressed they were with him there, but he actually looks like he struggled a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just chirping in as a Titans fan, there's widespread disgust that the Titans aren't going to treat Jared Cook fairly and use him as the weapon he is. We're going to let this class act walk away instead of tagging or signing him and then we're going to squander an early pick on a similar TE. I just know it! :gaah:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't get the logic behind that. As a tackle, he's not going to see the field unless either Staley or Davis gets injured. As a TE, Delanie Walker was in 57.2% of the offensive plays last year. It seems like it would be more adventageous to play him at tackle only if he failed at TE.

Excuse me. I was talking generally. Not 49ers specific. I don't have much, if any, interest of seeing him at TE for the 49ers considering I think it'd take the team's first 2nd round pick to get him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cleveland targeting FA TEs?
March, 5, 2013 4:22PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

As part of the Cleveland Browns' plans under new HC Rob Chudzinski and OC Norv Turner to have a dominant, vertical offense, the team will need to make significant upgrades at the TE position. Fortunately, this is an offseason in which they can make those additions via the free agent market. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi provided a look at some of the available options in a blog post on Tuesday afternoon, paying special attention to Jared Cook, the South Carolina product who was thought to be a franchise tag target for the Tennessee Titans. Cook escaped the tag, so he'll be an unrestricted free agent if he doesn't agree to a deal keeping him in Nashville.

"Cook, one of the fastest at his position, would be a superstar under Chudzinski/Turner," Grossi declares. "The Titans balked at giving him the franchise tag of $5.96 million. If that's the average salary figure for his services, the Browns would have to lessen their sights at receiver. But he is a player that could complete the offense and leave no excuses for the quarterback, whomever it may be."

If the Browns don't land Cook for whatever reason, there are some other interesting options out there as well, including Martellus Bennett, Brandon Myers, Fred Davis, Dustin Keller and Delanie Walker. It's possible that multiple TEs could be added, as the Chudzinski/Turner braintrust wants to use multiple TEs in their offensive scheme, per Grossi.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just chirping in as a Titans fan, there's widespread disgust that the Titans aren't going to treat Jared Cook fairly and use him as the weapon he is. We're going to let this class act walk away instead of tagging or signing him and then we're going to squander an early pick on a similar TE. I just know it! :gaah:

Your Avatar is a nice touch to the Titans theme...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes total sense for the Browns to go after someone like Cook, he seems like he would really thrive in an offense that uses TE's so much. I'd think it would be pretty cool to see Winslow go back to Cleveland and join back up with Chud.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jared Cook - TE - Rams

SI's Peter King says he has "not seen a better offensive weapon" this summer than Jared Cook.

Per King, the Rams "don’t know quite why" Cook caught only 44 passes with the Titans last season. The implication being, fantasy owners weren't the only ones miffed at Tennessee's usage of its talented tight end. Although Cook's camp reports have been nothing but glowing — and suggest he could be a high-end TE1 — he has generated hype before only to fall flat on his face. The difference this time around, however, is that his coaching staff is intent on making him a focal point of the offense.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Aug 12 - 9:23 AM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Nothing against Jared Cook, but Peter King wouldn't know a football if Kaepernick threw it at him 75 miles an hour and it was lodged up his lower intestine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jared Cook - TE - Rams

Jared Cook caught seven passes for 141 yards and two touchdowns in St. Louis' Week 1 win over Arizona.

Cook was just yards away from a third score, but let the ball get poked out from behind by impressive Cardinals rookie S Tyrann Mathieu. Nevertheless, Cook dominated the seams in his Rams debut, flashing receiver speed while making three grabs of 25 yards or longer. He made an acrobatic dive for the end zone on his 13-yard touchdown with time running out in the second quarter, and was left all alone on play action for his one-yard score in the fourth. Both the yards and touchdowns were new career highs for a player who was criminally underused during his four years in Tennessee. Cook is a legitimate TE1.

Sep 8 - 7:58 PM

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I was grabbing him super late in fantasy mocks. I don't play fantasy after one year but still enjoy doing mock drafts and messing around when bored at work or home.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked people didn't know Cook was a legit TE1 going into the year. That said, Arizona's Week 1 LB corp is MUCH weaker than Seattle's and San Frans so I wouldn't expect him to get Gronk numbers but he'll be a top 5 TE this year no doubt.

But if you don't have Peyton this year, you might have already lost your fantasy season

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn he got paid a lot. I like the dude a lot even before this season. We couldn't afford and I wouldn't be happy to pay him that much - I just I didn't want him to land in our division tormenting us for years.

Jared Cook - TE - Rams

Sam Bradford said it's "almost shocking" that Jared Cook didn't have any multi-touchdown games while with the Titans.

Bradford obviously doesn't know former Titans OC Chris Palmer very well. Palmer oddly failed to highlight Cook in the passing game, leading to annual frustration from fantasy owners. The Rams, on the other hand, clearly know what they have in Cook. After giving him a $35 million contract in free agency, he was targeted a team-high 10 times in Week 1 and produced a 7/141/2 line. Cook will be a strong TE1 against the Falcons in Week 2.
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Sep 9 - 12:43 PM