• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen in a 3-4?

C

cubzzzfanincali

So let's see, now that the Bears have flat out stated they are moving to a 3-4, what do you think is going to happen with Allen? He point blank told Minnesota he would not play in a 3-4 when he was there, and it supposedly was a contributing factor in why he did not re-sign with them. So what do you think? He's a $12.5 million cap hit, whether he is here or not. Unlike Cutler, I'm not aware of any major savings we can get by finding some other home for him. Maybe I am wrong about that, but I think he's pretty much got the team by the gills. Does he play here?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the team has him by the balls........he does what he is told to do or he retires.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the team has him by the balls........he does what he is told to do or he retires.
You forgot the 3rd option, he becomes a real situational, expensive defensive end.

Technically, our Bears have the same issue with Willie Young. He is way to light to play a DE in a 3-4, so he has to look at moving to OLB as well or again, become a real situational, expensive DE.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... I think he could do fairly well in a 3-4 scheme. It went well for Peppers, right?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is a different animal. I saw Allen stand up in coverage a few times last year, seriously, he was just standing there.

There are different variations of the 3-4 as well, usually do not stand up both ends so I think he can put his hand down on either side of the formation and keep a blocker busy.

C

cubzzzfanincali

You forgot the 3rd option, he becomes a real situational, expensive defensive end.

Technically, our Bears have the same issue with Willie Young. He is way to light to play a DE in a 3-4, so he has to look at moving to OLB as well or again, become a real situational, expensive DE.

Yeah, this is definitely possible. The problem with Allen as a hands down 3-4 DE is that he isn't strong enough to hold it, and he obviously wants nothing to do with the coverage responsibilities of a 3-4 OLB. So what you use him on longer third downs as a DE and then a standing 3-4 OLB on some early downs (but where everyone in the stadium knows he is going to rush, so what's the point?), for $12+ million? Seems like a waste of resources.

It would be great if they could find a trade partner and just eat some of the cost as the price to pay.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... I think he could do fairly well in a 3-4 scheme. It went well for Peppers, right?
Um... Peppers is an amazing BIG athlete, even now... I'm not sure Willie Young is in the same physical stature as Peppers. I hope Young recovers 100% from his Achilles tear, but if he doesn't??? Also, who or what the Bears draft will play a part in this discussion as well.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... think of it this way... we now have Vic Fangio and not Coach Crapmypants.
I'm hoping that Jared Allen can be reenergized by a different approach- and fresher with less time on the field. (Just like Peppers) as a sit. pass rusher. Yeah you might have to drop him into coverage 2-3 times a game but Olines will still have to account for him when on the field.
I"m also hoping that when they find something that DOESN'T work... they switch gears and try something else instead of keep trotting the same plays and packages out there and watch the ball go 87 yards in 4 plays.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCCHifan- what is the rest of that avatar pic?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... think of it this way... we now have Vic Fangio and not Coach Crapmypants.
I'm hoping that Jared Allen can be reenergized by a different approach- and fresher with less time on the field. (Just like Peppers) as a sit. pass rusher. Yeah you might have to drop him into coverage 2-3 times a game but Olines will still have to account for him when on the field.
I"m also hoping that when they find something that DOESN'T work... they switch gears and try something else instead of keep trotting the same plays and packages out there and watch the ball go 87 yards in 4 plays.

The only thing that will make Allen play to his abilities is getting the park district to put field turf in soldiers field. His only good games, almost dominant are on artificial surfaces. That was the first reason he should have never been signed here, 8 games on grass.

C

cubzzzfanincali

that's an interesting point, although I don't think it is correct. At least not completely. Just looking only at his games against Chicago at Soldier Field, he got one sack against us in 2013, 0 in 2012, 1 in 2011, 2 in 2010, 0 in 2009, 2 in 2008. So in 6 games at Soldier prior to 2014, he got 6 sacks. A higher sack rate than his overall career average. (Statistically insignificant, I know). And you mean to say he only played 2 other games ever on grass? That seems rather hard to believe.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats with all these pop up ads? Is it just me???

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any defensive scheme "fits" Jaren Allen anymore. I'm no expert, but he seems to take the "rodeo roundup" path to the QB which takes too much time. In today's NFL that ball is gone in 3 seconds.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought JA played better against the run than most gave him credit for and I thought our D was better as a whole when he was on the field. That said, I have no idea what to expect in the coming months.

It's weird, it doesn't feel like a rebuild, what with the talent in place, but it sure looks like one!?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My '77 Bronco...

Have to figure out how to make the pic's smaller or I would post one.

Figured it out <-------- Won't keep it up for long, will revert. Took me near 16 years to make it look like that, full frame off.

Sorry not Bears related, and sorry it is in Duke Blue especially since I'm a Carolina fan. I never hear the end of this from my basketball brethren down here.

Edit, and no, that is not me over the hood. This was at a Bronco event in TN.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured it out <-------- Won't keep it up for long, will revert. Took me near 16 years to make it look like that, full frame off.

Sorry not Bears related, and sorry it is in Duke Blue especially since I'm a Carolina fan. I never hear the end of this from my basketball brethren down here.

Edit, and no, that is not me over the hood. This was at a Bronco event in TN.
That's sweet. And don't worry about the blue... it works. Nice.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would run malware bytes. Clear yer cache en sech.

no pop ups fer me noon??

No pop ups for me, but the stalling to load pages is starting again. It helped when I started top run this in a private window, but honestly it just happens here.