• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James - Cavs Couldn't Afford Wade

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was, Wade is about finished in this league at a lot higher cost, not to mention Thompson fits this better then Wade.

So, you wouldn't rather spend $14M on Wade than JR? Just in theory, as I know they wouldn't have been allowed to go over the cap to sign Wade instead of re-signing JR.

Reactions: LAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you wouldn't rather spend $14M on Wade than JR? Just in theory, as I know they wouldn't have been allowed to go over the cap to sign Wade instead of re-signing JR.

Wade can't shoot and he needs the ball in his hands. He is an awful fit with LeBron and Irving. Smith is exactly what they need. Floor spacing is way more valuable to them than another ball dominant slasher.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade can't shoot and he needs the ball in his hands. He is an awful fit with LeBron and Irving. Smith is exactly what they need. Floor spacing is way more valuable to them than another ball dominant slasher.

Better SG: Wade by a mile
Better Fit: JR by an even wider margin

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know JR is the better fit but id take Wade. Talent wins. Wade is still way more talented. When it comes down to it Wade- if he is healthy- can still win you a playoff game by himself. That is still rare talent and rare talent is what wins in the NBA. Its close- and I understand just how much a better fit JR is- but Lue is a good catch- and LEBron and Wade have made it work before- and Wade is just a lot better player than JR.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No actually, they would not have.

Also, I guarantee they would not have won a ring last year without Thompson. Moving forward, they need Thompson a hell of a lot more than they need Wade. In fact, had they signed Wade instead of Smith, it would have made them significantly worse. Wade is the superior player, but they don't need another ball dominant guard. They need shooting and an athletic big who an rebound and guard (TT and Smith).

Nice try though.

They could have given Thompson a lot less money. Let's face it, nobody was going to give him a big contract with 50 guys out there who are better than him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No actually, they would not have.

Also, I guarantee they would not have won a ring last year without Thompson. Moving forward, they need Thompson a hell of a lot more than they need Wade. In fact, had they signed Wade instead of Smith, it would have made them significantly worse. Wade is the superior player, but they don't need another ball dominant guard. They need shooting and an athletic big who an rebound and guard (TT and Smith).

Nice try though.

Not only that.

But, there is this pesky thing called THE SALARY CAP.

The only way they could fit all those salaries under the cap is because they had those guys bird rights.

Even without Thompson, they still couldn't pay Wade, who in case everyone didn't notice, was not taking a nickel less than necessary.

Let's do the math:

Cavs payroll is around 125 mil.

Tristan makes 15.4 and Smith makes 12.8 this Year.

That's a total of 28 mil and change.

Take away those salaries, and the Cavs are at 96 mil.

The salary cap is 94 mil....how are they paying Wade?

Remember: The Cavs don't have full bird rights on Lebron. That makes cap space limited.

So, does anyone think Riley would sign and Trade Wade to the Cavs?

Cause that would have been the only way he could end up there, even without Thompson and Smith.

I personally think he would stick acid dipped slivers of glass in his eyeballs first.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Wade was willing to take 14m, yes.

Jr. Is clearly the better fit, we all agree on that.

But, like Wiggy stated....Talent > Fit in some cases.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wade was willing to take 14m, yes.

Jr. Is clearly the better fit, we all agree on that.

But, like Wiggy stated....Talent > Fit in some cases.

In some cases it does. However, the 2014 Finals was a perfect case of balanced talent going against an overly talented team where all of the pieces didn't necessarily fit.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some cases it does. However, the 2014 Finals was a perfect case of balanced talent going against an overly talented team where all of the pieces didn't necessarily fit.

Agree.

I root for a Team that has 3 guys listed in just about everyone's top 30.

But, we keep getting whack a mole'd in the first round.

Some of that is cuz we are cursed. But, mostly it's because the supporting cast is a bad fit.

Smith is very clearly the better fit.

It would have been interesting to see which way Bron would have gone had it been an option.

Fit or brotherly love?

I think the Cavs would have done whatever made James the happiest.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's pretty obvious with the cap hit and their cap situation that Wade isn't a realistic option there.