• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaime McGinn

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I don't get. I don't understand why most don't stick by their guns. When players are here, they're a waste of space. When they're traded, they're going to be missed and they were misused. Which one is it?

I don't think McGinn will ever be more than a solid 3rd liner. I hope he has a great career and wish him well, but come on. I think Rules was the only one to EVER like him on here. When he gets traded people freak out.

When Milan Michalek was traded everybody said good. He's a wuss in the playoffs and he gets hurt too often. He gets hurt a bunch and nobody complains about losing him. He lights it up for 1/2 of this year and then everybody cries foul. Now he's gone quiet again and not a peep. I don't get it and I REALLY liked Milan.

Aww... I <3 Michalek! Injuries or not, he sure knew how to score.

And then, the next thing that comes to mind is... Heatler.... ugh! :p

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I don't get. I don't understand why most don't stick by their guns. When players are here, they're a waste of space. When they're traded, they're going to be missed and they were misused. Which one is it?

I don't think McGinn will ever be more than a solid 3rd liner. I hope he has a great career and wish him well, but come on. I think Rules was the only one to EVER like him on here. When he gets traded people freak out.

When Milan Michalek was traded everybody said good. He's a wuss in the playoffs and he gets hurt too often. He gets hurt a bunch and nobody complains about losing him. He lights it up for 1/2 of this year and then everybody cries foul. Now he's gone quiet again and not a peep. I don't get it and I REALLY liked Milan.

I was always a fan of Michalek and I still want to see him do well. I think he's found a good place in Ottawa. He was really the only decent player the Sharks gave up in the Heatley deal and at the time it seemed like a really good trade for the Sharks. If Heatley's play in his own zone hadn't degraded so much it probably would have ended up as a fantastic trade. As it stands the Sharks made it to the WCF both years Heatley was in Teal. How much of a factor he actually was in those runs is debatable but that fact can't be denied. That's a trade I won't ever cry foul on, despite the fact I like Michalek and really am not a fan of Heatler.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the same guys crowing about mcginn are the same guys at the start of the season calling him a waste of a roster spot lol

I never said that. I have been down on him at times, but generally, I have supported him. I still think he is a solid player and I like his skillset and his game. he still has room for improvement but he has the raw skill to be a top 6 forward.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I never once cried foul on that deal and I still think it was the right move. First, don't forget the multiple years of 3M that other teams ate on cheech. His career was over and dougie unloaded that 3M deftly.

Second, heater is gone and the sharks are pushing up daisies? It's not a total coincidence. heater may have been lazy (ok, WAS lazy), and he was definitely a disappointment, but he was still a 26 goal, 64 point disappointment and a whole lot better than havlat has been even pre-injury. Possibly more importantly, he free up other players to have better years like clowe who I think has suffered tremendously not to be on a like with heater. Heater was a 40-50 goal scorer perennially, and i thought he might be the difference and it was a pretty low price for such a high potential gain.

I'm not sad he's gone, but Michalek is nothing special and not worth 4.5M. He is too much of an injury risk and waaaay too inconsistent. Unloading that big length salary was a good move and since leaving the sharks he has put up 34 and 33 points prior to this year. That's pretty awful value for his salary. Even this year, he might get 30 goals, but only 50 points and a minus player. I don't miss him at all, and I dont think the sharks would be better off with him given the injuries and the salary.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never once cried foul on that deal and I still think it was the right move. First, don't forget the multiple years of 3M that other teams ate on cheech. His career was over and dougie unloaded that 3M deftly.

Second, heater is gone and the sharks are pushing up daisies? It's not a total coincidence. heater may have been lazy (ok, WAS lazy), and he was definitely a disappointment, but he was still a 26 goal, 64 point disappointment and a whole lot better than havlat has been even pre-injury. Possibly more importantly, he free up other players to have better years like clowe who I think has suffered tremendously not to be on a like with heater. Heater was a 40-50 goal scorer perennially, and i thought he might be the difference and it was a pretty low price for such a high potential gain.

I'm not sad he's gone, but Michalek is nothing special and not worth 4.5M. He is too much of an injury risk and waaaay too inconsistent. Unloading that big length salary was a good move and since leaving the sharks he has put up 34 and 33 points prior to this year. That's pretty awful value for his salary. Even this year, he might get 30 goals, but only 50 points and a minus player. I don't miss him at all, and I dont think the sharks would be better off with him given the injuries and the salary.

It was a general description of our board. Everybody seems to hate players when they are here and then love them when they're gone. I said you were really the only supporter of McGinn I can remember. You have the right to bitch about that one. I also didn't think you were one of the ones who jumped on the Michalek bandwagon. I just remember there was a thread about him being an All-Star recently and everybody seemed to say they missed him again. I also remember defending his play a ton when he was a Shark to the masses on this board (I think Cmon and Korky liked him too, but I'm not sure). All I'm saying is, opinions are great and everybody deserves to have them. Hell, I'm wrong on a ton of my opinions.....it's just maddening when people don't stick to their guns.

It just seems like a lot of posters here play both sides of the fence is all when it comes to traded players. I do not like Heatley at all and my opinion of him hasn't changed since he left. In my opinion, it's been addition by subtraction. He was horrid in the playoffs where the Sharks needed him the most. If Havlat performs at all in the playoffs, he's an instant upgrade. He's getting over 20:00 minutes of Ice Time and playing on the 1st PP (at least most of the games I've watched), he still gets over 1/3rd of his points on the PP and he doesn't back check, hit, or play well positionally at all. I don't miss him and he had close to nothing to do with the Sharks doing well in the playoffs. I will give him this, he helped the Sharks seeding come playoff time, but little else. I think he will keep declining the rest of his contract.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It was a general description of our board. Everybody seems to hate players when they are here and then love them when they're gone. I said you were really the only supporter of McGinn I can remember. You have the right to bitch about that one. I also didn't think you were one of the ones who jumped on the Michalek bandwagon. I just remember there was a thread about him being an All-Star recently and everybody seemed to say they missed him again. I also remember defending his play a ton when he was a Shark to the masses on this board (I think Cmon and Korky liked him too, but I'm not sure). All I'm saying is, opinions are great and everybody deserves to have them. Hell, I'm wrong on a ton of my opinions.....it's just maddening when people don't stick to their guns.

It just seems like a lot of posters here play both sides of the fence is all when it comes to traded players. I do not like Heatley at all and my opinion of him hasn't changed since he left. In my opinion, it's been addition by subtraction. He was horrid in the playoffs where the Sharks needed him the most. If Havlat performs at all in the playoffs, he's an instant upgrade. He's getting over 20:00 minutes of Ice Time and playing on the 1st PP (at least most of the games I've watched), he still gets over 1/3rd of his points on the PP and he doesn't back check, hit, or play well positionally at all. I don't miss him and he had close to nothing to do with the Sharks doing well in the playoffs. I will give him this, he helped the Sharks seeding come playoff time, but little else. I think he will keep declining the rest of his contract.

I see... that is true of some posters. I try to be consistent and/or apologize and acknowledge any change of opinion. I know a ton of people have changed their tone on pavs from a slow useless guy to a pretty good player now. I had to do a whole lot of defending and now pretty much none. It's nice...

I also understand your heater opinions, and I definitely cannot say I wholly disagree. I may not be as far against him as you, but I do agree that he was surely a disappointment. That said, I'd rather have him and make the PO's than not and not make it...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never said that. I have been down on him at times, but generally, I have supported him. I still think he is a solid player and I like his skillset and his game. he still has room for improvement but he has the raw skill to be a top 6 forward.

Not so much lol, peak for him will be a high end 3rd liner, spot 2nd liner. And im fairly certain you were calling him a waste of roster and AHL fodder along with Bitchell.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont think so, but I guess we'll see...

As for calling him ahl fodder, I don't think I did. Last year, he clearly wasnt ready and his 1 goal in 49 games showed it. However, the skill was always there and I've said that since his 10 goal rookie year. I was actually disappointed that he was stuck on a 4th line and was still producing that year.

He'll be a perennial 20+ goal scorer and be solid in hits as well as long as he is given respectable ice time. If he is never given more than 10 or 12 mins, then he wont, but if he gets 15+, he'll put up the numbers and be effective.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not so much lol, peak for him will be a high end 3rd liner, spot 2nd liner. And im fairly certain you were calling him a waste of roster and AHL fodder along with Bitchell.

I think it was Rares calling McGinn AHL fodder. Pretty much everyone was questioning McGinn on the 3rd line and bitching about not improving the depth there but I don't remember anyone else claiming he was worthless.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see... that is true of some posters. I try to be consistent and/or apologize and acknowledge any change of opinion. I know a ton of people have changed their tone on pavs from a slow useless guy to a pretty good player now. I had to do a whole lot of defending and now pretty much none. It's nice...

Ironically, his strong work on the PK and in the face off circle is the reason Pavs went from a slow useless guy who was a streaky, albeit clutch, scorer to a slow useful guy who is a streaky, albeit clutch, scorer. IMO, at least.

:lie:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Rares calling McGinn AHL fodder. Pretty much everyone was questioning McGinn on the 3rd line and bitching about not improving the depth there but I don't remember anyone else claiming he was worthless.

Yeah, I always thought McGinn and Mitchell both had no business being in the NHL.

McGinn has pleasantly surprised me this season with his offensive output. By quite a lot. I'll go as far as admitting that I was wrong to think he was completely worthless.

However, I do believe he's overachieving a little bit and he'll never be a 20-goal scorer and/or a reliable 2nd line player... I can still be proven wrong on that but I think those of you who have him pegged as 3rd liner have it right.

I also think that at some point in seasons past, I had bitched about McGinn being more worthless than Mitchell but definitely not this season. I have been literally pissed off/upset beyond belief with how bad Mitchell has been this year, especially considering how much he gets paid. That contract (also untradeable as it turns out) is one of Dougie's worst, IMO. Makes Huskins/Wallin contracts look like Couture-bargains! :L

Anyway, I don't hate McGinn and I do wish him all the best. He seems like a nice kid but I'm not upset at all that he got traded.

Mitchell, OTOH, I can't wait until he's no longer a Shark.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ironically, his strong work on the PK and in the face off circle is the reason Pavs went from a slow useless guy who was a streaky, albeit clutch, scorer to a slow useful guy who is a streaky, albeit clutch, scorer. IMO, at least.

:lie:

huh?

His work in the FO circle has been obviously awesome and its a very underrated part of his game. However, he was producing impressively early on relative to his TOI. RW just had it out for him and never gave him much of a chance. he never got more than 14 or 15 mins early on. Then RW got fired, Tmac came in and gave him 18+ mins and suddenly he became a 25 goal, 60 pt player. He production per ice time actually has been pretty constant, it was just a matter of getting a chance.

I actually think Mcginn is the same in that if a coach gives him the ice time, he'll explode in productivity.

edit: I just caught the difference in the post... sorry :-) He was still very useful even without the PK and FO work...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ginner was given time on the top line and the PP and failed to produced, hes better suited on the bottom lines less time on the ice and little more responsibility which keeps him honest and within his game.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ginner was given time on the top line and the PP and failed to produced, hes better suited on the bottom lines less time on the ice and little more responsibility which keeps him honest and within his game.

a little bit, but not much. Throughout the whole season, he played 15+ mins 7 times in 61 games, and I don't remember him getting much PP time at all. I could be wrong, but his ice time numbers clearly don't seem to point toward top 6 minutes. In fact 12:30 is even below average for a 3rd liner (compare with zues who averages 14:40.). Hell, even wingels, ferriero and the great torrey mitchell got more ice per game. Ginner was given little opportunity, but we'll get to see what he can do in colorado. I predict they will give him the ice time and we'll get a chance to see what he can do...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
a little bit, but not much. Throughout the whole season, he played 15+ mins 7 times in 61 games, and I don't remember him getting much PP time at all. I could be wrong, but his ice time numbers clearly don't seem to point toward top 6 minutes. In fact 12:30 is even below average for a 3rd liner (compare with zues who averages 14:40.). Hell, even wingels, ferriero and the great torrey mitchell got more ice per game. Ginner was given little opportunity, but we'll get to see what he can do in colorado. I predict they will give him the ice time and we'll get a chance to see what he can do...

McGinn doesn't log PK minutes which is part of the disparity between him and players like Handzus and Mitchell. Look at their average ES ice time. There is only a few seconds difference between the three.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im calling it now, he will get bumped down to the 3rd line in colorado when they get more depth up front then he will be traded again

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: I just caught the difference in the post... sorry :-) He was still very useful even without the PK and FO work...

Much more useful now would be how I would say it personally. I only used "useless" to make my point about why the way he was/is viewed has changed and to correlate to your post. It's those aspects of his game that have evolved to make him the player you don't have to defend as often.

The ironic part is that faceoffs and PK play aren't very attractive when some people evaluate a player like, oh I don't know, Moore?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I always thought McGinn and Mitchell both had no business being in the NHL.

McGinn has pleasantly surprised me this season with his offensive output. By quite a lot. I'll go as far as admitting that I was wrong to think he was completely worthless.

However, I do believe he's overachieving a little bit and he'll never be a 20-goal scorer and/or a reliable 2nd line player... I can still be proven wrong on that but I think those of you who have him pegged as 3rd liner have it right.

I also think that at some point in seasons past, I had bitched about McGinn being more worthless than Mitchell but definitely not this season. I have been literally pissed off/upset beyond belief with how bad Mitchell has been this year, especially considering how much he gets paid. That contract (also untradeable as it turns out) is one of Dougie's worst, IMO. Makes Huskins/Wallin contracts look like Couture-bargains! :L

Anyway, I don't hate McGinn and I do wish him all the best. He seems like a nice kid but I'm not upset at all that he got traded.

Mitchell, OTOH, I can't wait until he's no longer a Shark.

But Mitchell now has TWO! highlight reel goals in his career!!!!1one

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But Mitchell now has TWO! highlight reel goals in his career!!!!1one

Mitchell, for all his many flaws, is one of the best forecheckers on the team. His speed and ability to anticipate the play in front of him make him an effective F1 on the lower lines. He doesn't get much recognition but he played a very large role in McGinn's success this year.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell and McGinn don't even belong in the same sentence. (Woops)