• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jags hiring Doug Marrone as new HC

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Marrone - OT - Jaguars
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars plan to hire Doug Marrone as their new head coach.

Marrone didn't make many friends during his failed stint in Buffalo, but he interim-coached the Jaguars to two of their best efforts of the season in Weeks 16-17 and seemed to do a better job of harnessing Blake Bortles and feeding Allen Robinson, albeit against the weak defenses of Tennessee and Indianapolis. Marrone seems to have the full support of the Jaguars' locker room. As GM Dave Caldwell is likely entering a make-or-break year, Marrone will be right there along with him.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I should have included the tweet in my post lol.

Either way I am not sure I understand the hire since they could have fired Gus's ass weeks ago and given Marrone a better audition.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I should have included the tweet in my post lol.

Either way I am not sure I understand the hire since they could have fired Gus's ass weeks ago and given Marrone a better audition.

Uninspiring hire if u ask me. Especially after interviewing Coughlin? He must have health issues or something. Not an exciting hire at all.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uninspiring hire if u ask me. Especially after interviewing Coughlin? He must have health issues or something. Not an exciting hire at all.

Yeah I viewed that Jaguars job honestly as the 2nd best opening this off season. A great Offensive mind to help bring along Bortles and get that offense on track with a very up and coming defense would have been huge. I really thought the rest of the NFL showed how much they valued him when he quit on the Bills and then nobody wanted him for more than just being an OL coach.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I viewed that Jaguars job honestly as the 2nd best opening this off season. A great Offensive mind to help bring along Bortles and get that offense on track with a very up and coming defense would have been huge. I really thought the rest of the NFL showed how much they valued him when he quit on the Bills and then nobody wanted him for more than just being an OL coach.
Its all about Bortles, right?

I think its a bit of a mistake as the Jags issue has always been drafting imo.

Bortles passer rating against INDY the first game: 96.4. Last game of the season: 96.2
Bortles passer rating against TEN the first game: 97.5. 2nd to last game of the season: 103.5

I dont know if there is enough evidence to suggest that Marrone has the answers with Bortles. Bortles just seems like a Cutler kind of QB that is going to look good one week but eventually get everyone fired.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they hired him as VP of football operations. I knew he wasnt getting the HC gig. My wife works with his son in law. He wants more control than just a coach

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about Bortles, right?

I think its a bit of a mistake as the Jags issue has always been drafting imo.

Bortles passer rating against INDY the first game: 96.4. Last game of the season: 96.2
Bortles passer rating against TEN the first game: 97.5. 2nd to last game of the season: 103.5

I dont know if there is enough evidence to suggest that Marrone has the answers with Bortles. Bortles just seems like a Cutler kind of QB that is going to look good one week but eventually get everyone fired.

And he very well could be. I just think he needs a better offensive mind coaching him up at the QB position to get a bit more consistent. I don't think he is as bad as this year suggested and with the right coach could do well enough to get this team in the playoffs next year. They are in a terrible division so it wouldn't take a huge leap from this year to next to be a playoff team.

And maybe Marrone is the right guy for the job. I just don't think they did enough in the coaching search to really see all of their options.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they hired him as VP of football operations. I knew he wasnt getting the HC gig. My wife works with his son in law. He wants more control than just a coach

Just saw that come across the wire. Very interesting.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaguars signed GM Dave Caldwell to a two-year extension.

As Caldwell was entering a contract year and new coach Doug Marrone and VP of Football Operations Tom Coughlin both signed three-year deals, Caldwell's two-year extension ties him together with Marrone and Coughlin for the next three seasons. Caldwell has largely succeeded as both a drafter and signer of free agents, but he needs Blake Bortles to take a third-year leap and Marrone to maximize the offense. Caldwell has built one of the league's best defenses.

Jan 9 - 4:49 PM

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he very well could be. I just think he needs a better offensive mind coaching him up at the QB position to get a bit more consistent. I don't think he is as bad as this year suggested and with the right coach could do well enough to get this team in the playoffs next year. They are in a terrible division so it wouldn't take a huge leap from this year to next to be a playoff team.

And maybe Marrone is the right guy for the job. I just don't think they did enough in the coaching search to really see all of their options.
Coughlin as a VP of football operations actually sounds pretty promising.

It does sound like we're probably looking at Bortles upside, though, without a QB genius or anything coming in. I do think we've probably seen the worst play out of his system but again...I think we are looking at a Cutler situation where you just aren't going to see the consistency to make it over the top.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaguars signed GM Dave Caldwell to a two-year extension.

As Caldwell was entering a contract year and new coach Doug Marrone and VP of Football Operations Tom Coughlin both signed three-year deals, Caldwell's two-year extension ties him together with Marrone and Coughlin for the next three seasons. Caldwell has largely succeeded as both a drafter and signer of free agents, but he needs Blake Bortles to take a third-year leap and Marrone to maximize the offense. Caldwell has built one of the league's best defenses.

Jan 9 - 4:49 PM

Not sure I would say he has been successful in FA. He has spent some big money on some big names but those players haven't quite lived up to the hype.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coughlin as a VP of football operations actually sounds pretty promising.

It does sound like we're probably looking at Bortles upside, though, without a QB genius or anything coming in. I do think we've probably seen the worst play out of his system but again...I think we are looking at a Cutler situation where you just aren't going to see the consistency to make it over the top.

Yeah I really like the Coughlin hire. Going to be interesting to see how Marrone, Coughlin, and Caldwell all work with each other. At least Marrone and Coughlin are dominating personalities so have to see how they handle not always getting their way.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need a running attack, 22nd in the league this year, plus that Oline is still missing some quality linemen.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a running attack, 22nd in the league this year, plus that Oline is still missing some quality linemen.

Didn't mean to make it sound like Bortles was the only problem or should be the only focus. Just we all know that improvement at the QB position in reality improves the entire team. Yes they need plenty of other pieces to get things going but they do have some nice pieces already in place to build around. That is again why this hire seems underwhelming. Maybe he does a great job with it, but I just think they didn't do the due diligence needed by bringing in some of the other candidates.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a "once in a decade" type of running back draft this year so that part should be easy for them.

Probably also a "once a decade" dearth in offensive linemen, though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that this is more about giving their GM a year without Bradley and seeing what happens. IF they weren't ready to dump Caldwell then this makes sense.

IMO, if you fire the coach you probably should fire the GM barring unique circumstances.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to make it sound like Bortles was the only problem or should be the only focus. Just we all know that improvement at the QB position in reality improves the entire team. Yes they need plenty of other pieces to get things going but they do have some nice pieces already in place to build around. That is again why this hire seems underwhelming. Maybe he does a great job with it, but I just think they didn't do the due diligence needed by bringing in some of the other candidates.

No I know what you were getting at, I just think they need to address some of the areas where draft picks haven't lived up to the hype on that Oline..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I know what you were getting at, I just think they need to address some of the areas where draft picks haven't lived up to the hype on that Oline..

that they do. Unfortunately for them and every other team needing OL help this might not be the best year to be looking.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who was the Rooney Rule candidate?