• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Ellsbury

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor from Ken Rosenthal - He anticipates JE landing in Seattle for a lot of money. IIRC he said 5-6 years at 21M per.

That's a ton of money, but he's also a quality player at a position we can upgrade. He'll have a lot of teams going after him, but it's nice to be in the discussion even if it's during the ALDS, in which Ellsbury is playing

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Sox keep him, but Rosenthal is asking more money then he's worth.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landing Ellsbury would solve 1% of this team's problems.

It will get vapid M's fans all giddy, though. The investment HowChuck and Nintendo make in him (or another FA like him) will be more than made up for by the new breed of fans they've created.

Well done for them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly I would be shocked to see the Mariners spend more than $15m+ per year on any player on the market.

I figure they throw him a low ball offer like they did Fielder and Hamilton and shrug their shoulders and say "Well we tried"

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont think he'll get 20 per year. there are only 3 outfielders that make 20 per year Kemp, vernon wells and carl crawford. Crawford is a comparable player to ellsbury except crawford health was near perfect before he signed that contract.

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Landing Ellsbury would solve 1% of this team's problems.

It will get vapid M's fans all giddy, though. The investment HowChuck and Nintendo make in him (or another FA like him) will be more than made up for by the new breed of fans they've created.

Well done for them.

1%? Sorry that makes cezero sense to me. Sure it wouldnt make them a contender but the more all stars you have on your team the better. Should we not sign any free agents?

Also i dont understand why its a bad thing to make the team better and bring in fans at the same time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'd be willing to go as high as 4%.

Signing FA is 1/3 of putting together a good team. Trades and farm building are the other 2/3. The M's signing a decent FA like Ellsbury to fill 1 of the dozen or so gaping holes on this team is not remarkable to a sports fan.

Also, Nintendo and HowChuck don't care about gaining fans. If they did, they would have spent the last 10 years articulating a decent, or dare I even say competent team. Instead, they have fundamentally changed the fan base to keep making enough $$$$$ to keep Nintendo happy. Lincoln's interview posted earlier this month mainly focused on how great Safeco is and why it's a wonderful family experience....and Felix Hernandez. The rest of the team might as well have not even existed. The way the team spends profits demonstrates it amply as well. And good for Nintendo and HowChuck. Mission accomplished for them. The TV deal adds another guaranteed $100 million in revenue for them per year over the next 20 years.

Last year, they went through the motions of signing a big name FA, and this year, they might actually do it (though I wouldn't be surprised if they just go through the motions again...it's enough to appease the new fan base, after all). If they do sign him, itt will be enough to keep the same baseball-neutral fan base watching and going to the ballpark for a wholesome family experience, but only fools will think it is an attempt to fix this humongous joke of a "team."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all about budget and not how much you sign one particular guy for. $15M per year on Ellsbury could be worth it if you increase payroll to the $125M mark. If you plan on keeping it in the $80M range, then him and Felix would take up about a 40% of your payroll and that only works if you have stud young players on rookie deals...which we do not have.

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe im just the gullible fan but i see things a bit different cezero. I dont think theyve just been going through the motions for the last 10 years. I think they they handed the reigns to bavasi. Let him build the team his way and gave him 120 million in payroll. I think they are doing the same with with jack z. Jacks plan has been more about building from within SO FAR and for the fans thats frustrating but i still believe his plan is a solid one, build from within first and then add free agents. I look at what the indians did last year as what seattle is looking to do this year.

They need to sign 2 big free agents this year and 2 next year and this team would be a contender.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team builds from within. Some are better at it than others. My issue with that method is the fact that people buy into it just because a GM says that is what they are doing. What team doesn't draft each year? What team doesn't have several minor league teams? Doing it and knowing what you are doing are two different things. M's have always drafted and they have always had several farm teams, but what they haven't done is been good at it.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO won't be signing 4 quality FA in the next 2 years.

Even if they did, a sustainable contending team is built through a combination of FA signings, trades, and a competent FO that recruits and drafts quality for the farm.

Again, this team is missing a dozen + pieces to get to .500, much less contend for anything. Team after team has shown us that FA signings alone aren't the answer. We've all seen what happens with trades with this incompetent FO. And what the farm has produced is absolute garbage, with almost nothing on the horizon offensively.

To get what this team needs to contend, we'll have to trade the only thing Z and company have been slightly successful at cultivating, and that's pitching. It's what a competent GM and FO would do, painful as it may be. People who don't understand baseball won't get it. It's rotten for us because even if they did it, they would mess it up badly.

Here's to another decade of gullibility for some as Nintendo continues to rake in the dough.

Last edited by a moderator:

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Every team builds from within. Some are better at it than others. My issue with that method is the fact that people buy into it just because a GM says that is what they are doing. What team doesn't draft each year? What team doesn't have several minor league teams? Doing it and knowing what you are doing are two different things. M's have always drafted and they have always had several farm teams, but what they haven't done is been good at it.

I buy into the plan because i think it was the right thing to do for our situation not because jack said it. When you have a 100 loss team with a 100mil payroll what else can you do? With a bunch of overpaid aging players theres not much to trade. Keep adding free agents? If your the yankees i guess.

I think jack did exactly what he should have.... Massively cut payroll and build this team from the ground up. The bad contracts are now gone and we have a lot of kids with.....gulp....potential. Seager, miller, franklin, zunino, ackley, smoak, montero, walker, paxton, hultzen, ramirez........with a payroll under 40 mil. This team is in a way better place then it has been since 2001.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy into the plan because i think it was the right thing to do for our situation not because jack said it. When you have a 100 loss team with a 100mil payroll what else can you do? With a bunch of overpaid aging players theres not much to trade. Keep adding free agents? If your the yankees i guess.

I think jack did exactly what he should have.... Massively cut payroll and build this team from the ground up. The bad contracts are now gone and we have a lot of kids with.....gulp....potential. Seager, miller, franklin, zunino, ackley, smoak, montero, walker, paxton, hultzen, ramirez........with a payroll under 40 mil. This team is in a way better place then it has been since 2001.

Better place for what?

Potential for what?

How do the majority of names on your list correlate with the word "potential"?

Nanu nanu!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I was going to reply as well but cezero pretty much wrote what I was going to write...minus the "Nanu nanu!".

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential, Patience. The killer P's with this team. I guess that's all we have though because reality bites.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't mean to jump on seafan. I would love for most of those guys to be league average MLB players. Something tells me a few of them will, and they'll make their marks when they hit FA for other teams, or get traded to other teams with competent training staffs and front offices. A guy like Seager for instance. I know he's not going to be a marquee player or anything, but I look forward to seeing him play for a real team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing against seafan either or his views. I just lost faith in these guys a decade ago and I do have a hard time with others that still believe in this carnival sideshow. It is their right to still believe, but I just feel bad for them in doing so.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing against seafan either or his views. I just lost faith in these guys a decade ago and I do have a hard time with others that still believe in this carnival sideshow. It is their right to still believe, but I just feel bad for them in doing so.

I think this sums up the entire dislike for these guys, like it or not they are business men and I like to quote Mark Cuban "If you want to make money, don't own a professional sports team" Which is direct conflict of Chuck Armstrong motto of "90 m budget, 90 wins and drawing 3 million equals a successful season" Connie Mack had a very similiar motto but at least he threw his fan base a bone and let them win a couple of titles.

In my personal opinion I believe they never would've massively dropped the budget had the fans not started flocking away.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once I heard how Cuban lost his date to Bill Gates back in the day, I stopped having any faith in him.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 gaping holes? ok had to laugh on that one. We should have at the very least 4/5 of a solid rotation
4/5 of a solid infield with the only "gaping" hole in the outfield that jacoby would fill one of those holes. Nothing like the drama queen spouting off lol