• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's worth its own thread: Brees' Neck

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the penalty, but I hate this offense more. If not for 3 turnovers we would have been close to getting shut out. The penalty wouldn't have mattered if anything was working on offense, but it wasn't yesterday for the second game in a row.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny I was watching first take and they were making fun of the NFL and the refs on that play. It was one of the worst calls they have seen. Where are u suppose to hit the QB now. Cant go to the legs and go to the head and now you can go to the chest. only I spot left the waist.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks was funny. He said I guess we can't give bear hugs anymore. LOL

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that call should have been made but the one thing Brooks did wrong was to hang on to Brees' neck after the hit. He should have let go. It looked like the call came in late and I believe Brooks hanging on to Brees' neck is the reason for that.

Bad call, but the fact that the 49ers played so poorly that one bad call cost them the game is really telling.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny I was watching first take and they were making fun of the NFL and the refs on that play. It was one of the worst calls they have seen. Where are u suppose to hit the QB now. Cant go to the legs and go to the head and now you can go to the chest. only I spot left the waist.

Hopefully you realize First Take is the Fox News of Sports shows. They talk about anything controversial just for ratings. Those "idiots" are pure homers and wouldn't know a fact from the thumb in their ass.

I understand the call was big in this game, but as many have said, there were plenty of other things the team could have done to win the game, and obviously, this rule needs to be defined better, so neck area is not so general and at the discretion of the refs.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of you are an idiot or uber biased. It is a judgement call by the refs, and the league left it that way for a reason. I am not sure why because players need to know specifically what they can do and not do. My guess is the rule does get more specific next season and it will say something about being below the pad level of the opponent and not driving up past the V neck of the jersey or something along those lines.

Brooks height or Brees' lack of height is really the issue here. His pads were higher and his arm wrapped around the top of Brees' other shoulder pad. I would consider that a Neck Area hit. This is concerning for Hawk fans as well since RW is short like Brees and has already taken a few of these hits. Yes, the team benefits from the penalty, but the hit on the player is the main issue and could put him out for the season or career at any time.

If the contact was to his neck, his neck would have gone the other way. It was precisely because HE DIDN't hit bree's neck that his neck goes in the opposite direction of his shoulder and chest. Had he hit him in the neck his neck would not snap back toward the direction the hit was coming from. Its clear as day in my opinion. Not even debatable. I still get why it was called, because it looked so gross.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully you realize First Take is the Fox News of Sports shows. They talk about anything controversial just for ratings. Those "idiots" are pure homers and wouldn't know a fact from the thumb in their ass.

I understand the call was big in this game, but as many have said, there were plenty of other things the team could have done to win the game, and obviously, this rule needs to be defined better, so neck area is not so general and at the discretion of the refs.

I'm over the loss, but moving forward, for the sake of the game of football, this neck area rule should be void for vagueness. It leaves too much to the arbitrariness (rather than discretion) of refs. And, we shouldn't be penalizing good football plays. It's a contact sport after all.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just curious, in reading comments on other sites about the hit someone mentioned a neck tackle and face mask on Kaep that was uncalled. Was that this game?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head and Neck area and that hit was in the neck area. No if and's or buts about it. The Strike zone in baseball is armpits to knees and that's the strike zone on a QB in the NFL. This Gif just shows WHY this was a penalty and what they are trying to remove from the game is that VIOLENT head snap. Those are the hits that cause concussions ( head violently snapping ) and that's something they want to remove.

Sure this is not the football we all grew up playing and watching but seeing as i want to continue to watch football till i'm in the dirt they needed to change it or we could have lost it all together. Had that hit happened to Kaepernick and no flag came you all would be screaming bloody murder. You can not have it both ways people. Hitting hard and hitting high are two different things and players just need to adjust their strike zone. I will admit that this gives the Brees's and Wilson's of the NFL an advantage because they are so short. Trying to lower your hit on them and you might as well be on your belly :P.

shoulder hit. good clean hard hit

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Bree's, "I knew it had to be a flag because I got hit so hard."

Ray Lewis offers to pay brooks fine...

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My respect for Ray Lewis just went up about 3 notches.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes our offense could have played better. Yes, we shouldn't have left the decision in the hands of the refs. But I still feel that we deserved to win that game (granted it would have been a very sloppy win) had it not been for that HORRIBLE call.

These are the kinds of plays that make many fans despise what the NFL has turned into. It takes the legitimacy away from what we all love. Think of how cheated several of us felt after the end of the Super Bowl. At some point, if we were to win a Super Bowl, you'd have to question the legitimacy of that championship. Would that trophy represent the 49ers being the best team in the league, or would it represent a team that survived several BS calls and fluke plays, and just happened to survive to the end of the postseason by random luck?

This bullshit needs to stop, for the sake of the sport itself.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Preach brotha Ray Ray…. MONEY!!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes our offense could have played better. Yes, we shouldn't have left the decision in the hands of the refs. But I still feel that we deserved to win that game (granted it would have been a very sloppy win) had it not been for that HORRIBLE call.

These are the kinds of plays that make many fans despise what the NFL has turned into. It takes the legitimacy away from what we all love. Think of how cheated several of us felt after the end of the Super Bowl. At some point, if we were to win a Super Bowl, you'd have to question the legitimacy of that championship. Would that trophy represent the 49ers being the best team in the league, or would it represent a team that survived several BS calls and fluke plays, and just happened to survive to the end of the postseason by random luck?

This bullshit needs to stop, for the sake of the sport itself.

Agreed… Refs scare me more than any opponent right now.. Every game I"m watching yards being given to offenses for ridiculous reasons… This isn't even about a particular team it's about the league itself and the brand there putting out… This is easily fixable so let's just hope like heck the NFL backs off … I think we can all understand the concussion thing and the helmet spiking that was going on and I think the league took necessary steps but now there just being ridiculous… NFL is asking the impossible on some of these play's.. HE DID everything by the rule book on that hit and there was nothing else he could a done … It's unfair and it's helping offenses way to much…. a couple weeks ago Bennett was fined 15,000 for hitting Matt Ryan in the legs FROM THE SIDE… It wasn't malicious in any way and not a chance Ryan could a got hurt on the play… Anyone who loves this game should be livid about these call's… I"m all for safety BUT not for Cinderella to be late for the ball….

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a good man, Ray Lewis. Certainly no NFL yes man.