• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's begun: Mack Brown to retire

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could this years Sugar Bowl be a preview of future red River Rivalries? Stoops vs. Saban. lol

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Mack denies it on Twitter.

Mack Brown has refuted a report that he has already reached a decision to step down as Texas's head coach.
"I'm in Florida recruiting," Brown said in a text message sent Tuesday to Horns247.com reporter Bobby Burton. "If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here. I have not decided to step down."
CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman reported:

The Austin-American Statesman reported the same, adding that Brown [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]410498777170980864[/MEDIA]"]has yet to meet with Texas president Bill Powers[/ame]. Former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]410500716550045696[/MEDIA]"]has told multiple outlets[/ame] that he has been with Brown for the past two days and has not been told of any decision.
Brown is currently in South Florida on a recruiting trip and is scheduled to meet with Miami running back Dalvin Cook Tuesday.
"I haven't seen [it]," Brown texted to Burton regarding the report.
Burton reported earlier Tuesday that Mack Brown's future as Texas coach would likely be decided within the next two days.
"I think there will be a decision (about Brown's job) within the next 48 hours," a "high-ranking Texas source" told Burton.
Multiple outlets, including the Dallas Morning News, have reported that Brown met with new Texas athletic director Steve Patterson at length Sunday during their flight to New York. The News described the meeting as "positive and productive," and Horns247.com sources indicated Brown was not asked to resign.
But nothing seems guaranteed for Brown just yet, not after another 8-4 season that ended with 20-or-more point losses in two of the Longhorns' final three games, including a 30-10 loss at former punching bag Baylor with the Big 12 championship on the line. Brown has gone just 18-17 in the Big 12 over the past four seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter what Brown says at this point if UT does not move the fan base will revolt therefore it's a done deal. Only question is who replaces him:

Saban is plan A (would be for any major program logically)

What is plan B?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame]http://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/410501472363630592[/ame]

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the way Mack Brown is being treated by the fans and everyone really is something Saban would find attractive about the Texas job? People think/say Alabama fans are bad, but all this stuff doesn't even come close. Especially since Saban considers Mack a friend.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it does matter what Mack Brown says. They still might let him go but they are not going to treat a power player like Brown like a dish rag and throw him out! He has denied it continuosly. If he does step down does that make him a liar like Saban (see Dolphins)?

WT, I've never seen someone say so much but so little as you on this matter. You have basically said Saban is gone several times but always leave enough wiggle room just in case. Kind of your style! :nod:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the way Mack Brown is being treated by the fans and everyone really is something Saban would find attractive about the Texas job? People think/say Alabama fans are bad, but all this stuff doesn't even come close. Especially since Saban considers Mack a friend.
Ok so Alabama fans > Texas fans?

You just sent this thread nuclear congratulations!

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think Saban would have only won 2 conference titles in 16 years? Would Saban go 5-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-4 and not jump ship on his own? Saban is a man who knows when to leave a place. Mack is dug in like a tick on a dog. Different personalities.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Saban would have only won 2 conference titles in 16 years? Would Saban go 5-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-4 and not jump ship on his own? Saban is a man who knows when to leave a place. Mack is dug in like a tick on a dog. Different personalities.

You can look at it that way. Another way might be that this is how you treat a guy after 16 years of service and bringing Texas back to where it is now etc.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
enough. Texas has lost 4 games or more by 19 or more pts twice in its history. This yr beign one of them and 1956. Texas has never lost 4 or more games in 4 consecutive yrs...ever. I get it. You are trying to convince yourself that Saban is staying. Its OK. I think he is going to coach Bama next yr, so you can get up and stop hugging yourself in the corner.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
enough. Texas has lost 4 games or more by 19 or more pts twice in its history. This yr beign one of them and 1956. Texas has never lost 4 or more games in 4 consecutive yrs...ever. I get it. You are trying to convince yourself that Saban is staying. Its OK. I think he is going to coach Bama next yr, so you can get up and stop hugging yourself in the corner.

I don't need to convince myself of anything. If it happens then it happens, and it will happen eventually one way or another.

But I see. It's all fun and games when it's happening in 1 direction, citing things like Alabama fans being crazy, and the expectations of Alabama fans and so on. But when it gets turned back around it's not so great.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL...like when he left the Dolphins.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need to convince myself of anything. If it happens then it happens, and it will happen eventually one way or another.

But I see. It's all fun and games when it's happening in 1 direction, citing things like Alabama fans being crazy, and the expectations of Alabama fans and so on. But when it gets turned back around it's not so great.
-
expectations? Mack coached for 16 seasons and has 2 conference championships. He is 1 win above .500 in conference the last 4 yrs. Those are not particularly lofty standards. Not sure where I cited that Bama fans were crazy. Your issue is not with me, it is with Miss Terry.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
expectations? Mack coached for 16 seasons and has 2 conference championships. He is 1 win above .500 in conference the last 4 yrs. Those are not particularly lofty standards. Not sure where I cited that Bama fans were crazy. Your issue is not with me, it is with Miss Terry.
You keep Miss Terry out of your filthy mouth!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

Standards are one thing, under minding your coach and doing things behind his back is another. If my issue is with Miss Terry, then how do you think she would feel if she Saban was being treated in the same manner. <~~kind of the point there you see?