• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It starts at QB

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thought right now is that we need a QB that can hit up north of 60% of their passes. i really think that is part of the problem with the run/pass mix.

if TA's 1st down completion rate was higher than you'd be in less 2nd and 10 situations. just looked it up, TA was only 53% this year on 1st down, that's a lot of 2nd and 10's. when you pass on 1st down I'd think you should be north of 60% because the defense shouldn't be expecting it. let's compare to Stave and Beathard: 66% on 124 attempts and 63% on 108 attempts (those are 1st down stats, TAs was on 131 attempts). then 2nd down TA jumps to 58% on 147 attempts, Stave 65% on 113, and Beat 67% on 104.

it all comes back to TAs ability to complete passes, sure DL and MR could stick to the run more, but also if we get more pass completions there is more opportunities to run the ball.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup

They've been trying to pound a square peg into a round hole all season.

On the bright side, the rest of the offensive positions will have experience in the system Riley wants to run in the future.

Looks like it was intended to be a throw away year.

"We'll win with this new system if we can. If not no big deal"

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say they did one or the other completely wouldn't be fair. It was more in the middle, running their system but trying to use his strength also. The bottom line is this team has to know their system.
Wouldn't doing anything else be rather short sighted?

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't really see the problem with incorporating some QB run into your system. i'm not saying all the time, but when you have a running QB, why the hell not? your still running your system on passing plays and other runs but you get that extra dimension. i don't even remember the last time they ran an option play.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasnt AJ Bush nipping at the heels of Tommy all off season? where the hell has he been?

Maybe Riley didn't want him out on the field, because he was afraid he would out shine TA, and then there would be a QB controversy? Just speculating.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No it's because you watch other teams for one reason. To critique what is wrong with Nebraska.

As for the last sentence that doesn't even make sense. I never said Callahan's offense's were better. I am not going to be put in the position of defending Callahan because you can not comprehend what you have read. If you have to compare Riley's offense to Callahan's go back and look at what Callahan has done on the offensive side of the ball. I will say no more than that. If you can't comprehend it I'm not going to spoon feed you.

No, I watch other games for two reasons; one is because I enjoy college football, and two, I love to watch well coached teams, because I long for one at dear ole Nebraska U.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Junk the west coast jazz

Let's go back to the spread

Were never gonna be that west coast madness school

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my thought right now is that we need a QB that can hit up north of 60% of their passes. i really think that is part of the problem with the run/pass mix.

if TA's 1st down completion rate was higher than you'd be in less 2nd and 10 situations. just looked it up, TA was only 53% this year on 1st down, that's a lot of 2nd and 10's. when you pass on 1st down I'd think you should be north of 60% because the defense shouldn't be expecting it. let's compare to Stave and Beathard: 66% on 124 attempts and 63% on 108 attempts (those are 1st down stats, TAs was on 131 attempts). then 2nd down TA jumps to 58% on 147 attempts, Stave 65% on 113, and Beat 67% on 104.

it all comes back to TAs ability to complete passes, sure DL and MR could stick to the run more, but also if we get more pass completions there is more opportunities to run the ball.

If TA completed 50% of his passes without most of his patented picks, and with better decision making, Nebraska would have won more games. On the other hand, Nebraska would have won more games by limiting the amount of passes he threw, plus the elimination of some of the strangest in-game coaching decisions made by any coach that I have ever seen. Since we've seen a whole wasted season of this crap, I'm not very optimistic it will get any better next year.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TA in my opinion has no vision at all
also you mention "fooling myself again"
I may be wrong ---but I kinda think the whole Husker Nation has been fooling themselves since the firing of Frank Solich

I made the mistake of saying at one point in the season that TA was our best offensive player despite his continual blunders. Now I say he's our weak link on offense.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TA completed 50% of his passes without most of his patented picks, and with better decision making, Nebraska would have won more games. On the other hand, Nebraska would have won more games by limiting the amount of passes he threw, plus the elimination of some of the strangest in-game coaching decisions made by any coach that I have ever seen. Since we've seen a whole wasted season of this crap, I'm not very optimistic it will get any better next year.
I can equate this with volleyball, if a gal can't hit the court while attempting a kill, and continually serves the ball into the net or out of bounce, then she normally gets pulled out as she is scoring more points for the other team and most likely won't play again soon. Are the shelves are so bare that we don't have anyone else ay QB that knows how to play the game? Same argument when Uncle Tito played BTW.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think that's a fair comparison. it would be more like a gal that is "all world" one set, every kill lands, ace serves, and then switching in the next set to be like a junior high player.

TA is our best playmaker at times and our worst nightmare at others. he is also the most undisciplined person on the team and the team lives and dies by his play. if DL is worth the money we are giving him, he'll figure out how to correct that. and if he can't reel in TA, then he'll have to move on. i think someone posted it earlier, they were going a little extreme, but start with one series off for a dumb mistake, then let him back in. if it happens again, bump it to two series.

oh and one other thing, DL needs to be doing some more coaching on the sidelines. i don't ever get what is going on when i see TA sitting by himself over on the sideline. where is DL? i'd think while the defense is on the field, you'd be over there trying to coach him up. every time i watch an NFL game, they are all over there looking at their tablets or paper printouts of what's going on on the field. all i ever see from TA and our offense is them sitting around.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy gift wrapped 14 points for Iowa.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i don't think that's a fair comparison. it would be more like a gal that is "all world" one set, every kill lands, ace serves, and then switching in the next set to be like a junior high player.

TA is our best playmaker at times and our worst nightmare at others. he is also the most undisciplined person on the team and the team lives and dies by his play. if DL is worth the money we are giving him, he'll figure out how to correct that. and if he can't reel in TA, then he'll have to move on. i think someone posted it earlier, they were going a little extreme, but start with one series off for a dumb mistake, then let him back in. if it happens again, bump it to two series.

oh and one other thing, DL needs to be doing some more coaching on the sidelines. i don't ever get what is going on when i see TA sitting by himself over on the sideline. where is DL? i'd think while the defense is on the field, you'd be over there trying to coach him up. every time i watch an NFL game, they are all over there looking at their tablets or paper printouts of what's going on on the field. all i ever see from TA and our offense is them sitting around.

I mentioned placing TA on the bench for a series to give our weak link a different perspective. I'm 100% certain that a coach at any other top program in America would have done something different about this situation.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least in the Iowa game, TA was charging right by him. Benning was pretty pissed about it on the radio this morning. I didn't notice because I was at the game and I have no desire to rewatch that.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least in the Iowa game, TA was charging right by him. Benning was pretty pissed about it on the radio this morning. I didn't notice because I was at the game and I have no desire to rewatch that.

Benning was definitely sparking something this morning. Not sure if any of it has any truth to it, but I think we can all agree, Tommy Armstrong does not get it.

I think he has way too many things going on his head and it boggles him up. He needs to read the blitz, the coverage, go through his reads, and figure it all out. He can't do it. Armstrong is overwhelmed and just seemed to go off and do whatever he felt like doing whenever a pass play was called. And when DL calls 50 of them, that is a whole lot of making it up.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't hear Benning this morning but caught him talking during Unsportsmanlike conduct. but yea basically the same thing. said he though POB had a serious shot at the starting job since he was arriving in the spring. he even said he doesn't normally talk verbatim from the coaches but they said he could be a program changer. I certainly hope that is true and maybe it wakes up TA and gets him to actually work on his craft.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else suspicious POB was "promised" the starting job if he comes to Nebraska?

Hence Riley and Langsdorf sticking with Tommy all season knowing he wasn't the best game manager.

Starting a true freshman will be an EASY SELL to the faithful after this season.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else suspicious POB was "promised" the starting job if he comes to Nebraska?

Hence Riley and Langsdorf sticking with Tommy all season knowing he wasn't the best game manager.

Starting a true freshman will be an EASY SELL to the faithful after this season.
Don't think so. At one point we had both POB and Wilson committed, with Wilson being the more highly touted prospect. I think the staff has always been higher on POB (and have been validated in that based on how the two have performed this past summer and this season) but I don't think they would have told one of them they were the starter.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. We saw Fyfe out there. He wasn't the answer either. Just curious what is going on with our rFrosh's. It's like both of them fell off the face of the earth.