• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It is almost 5th year option time for Bruce Irvin.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 1st week of May is time for the Seahawks to decide if they want to exercise their 5th year option for BI. If they do he is paid as a transition tagged player in 2016 and I think that works out to between $7-$8 M.
Do you think we should do it?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, no. He had a great year last year for someone in only his second year playing a position, but he didn't put up an elite year. With Wagner and Wilson still sitting in limbo, putting $ 7-8 million up for Irvin for next year may make it hard to fit all three contracts together. I mean, rumors I've heard is that 7-8 is what Wagner is looking for, and I can't say that I would pay that to Irvin with his limited amount of time/success at his position.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't worth that much and I don't know if we can afford him with Wilson and Wagner coming up.

Look to sign him to a longer term deal in $5 million per year range. Otherwise we might be forced to move on.

This team spends money to keep the D together. I can see them pushing to prioritize this.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's too much for a player like him. He is more like a good accessory piece on a great defense, than a vital cog that makes the defense great.

The deadline for 2015 is May 3. And the 5th year salary for linebackers is $7,751,000. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year (approximately March 8, 2016 for the 2012 draft class).

The Cardinals have a similar decision to make with Michael Floyd. $7,320,000 for his position. A very good WR but not an elite WR. I do think they will exercise the option & work out a long term deal.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will only happen if both RW and Wagner have worked out extensions by then so the team knows with more fidelity how those 2 players factor in to the '16 cap. The cap has increased $20M over the past 2 years, so in '16 it could be around $165M or even higher.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will only happen if both RW and Wagner have worked out extensions by then so the team knows with more fidelity how those 2 players factor in to the '16 cap. The cap has increased $20M over the past 2 years, so in '16 it could be around $165M or even higher.

Umm, no. Right now, the cap is $143 mil, you aren't going to see a $22 mil cap increase in a season. The 2016 cap right now, is projected to be around $150 mil, give or take a mil or two. The reason the cap increased as much as it has in the last 2 seasons is because of the new TV contracts & "cap smoothing". Were will likely to see a steady increase of $5-8 mil every season and not see a large jump.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL salary cap normally takes a 7% jump from season to season, the last couple seasons it has been more than that BUT if it drops back to 7% for 2016 that is still a increase of 10.01 million. After 2010's uncapped year the cap actually dropped but that was because of the new CB lowering the cost of incoming draft picks. since 2002 till now ( not counting the uncapped year and the decrease after the CBA ) the cap hit has grown by an average of 8 million over all those years. That was around 4 to 5 million in 2002 till 2005 and around 7 million from 2007 to 2009 with a burp at 17 million in 2006. The trend is easy to project and even a low cap raise for next season would put it right at 10 million. 5 to 8 million would put it in the 2002 to 2005 area, that was over 10 years ago and we will never see that low of a increase again just because of inflation and the growth of the NFL.

People in the know are all ready saying 155-160 mill for 2016

Last edited:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap wise, one thing to consider is we will carry over $10M in dead cap allotments this year (2015). Next year that will drop to almost nothing assuming all players under guarantee remain on the team. That will free up lots of capital for JS to spend as he sees fit. Really, the only player possibly nearing the end of his career is Marshawn who will count $2.5M per year in dead cap for 2016 & 2017.
As long as we can sign RW and BW, I would like to see us keep BI unless he is just too damn expensive. He has improved every year and is considered maybe the best athlete on the team.
Defense wins championships.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap wise, one thing to consider is we will carry over $10M in dead cap allotments this year (2015). Next year that will drop to almost nothing assuming all players under guarantee remain on the team. That will free up lots of capital for JS to spend as he sees fit. Really, the only player possibly nearing the end of his career is Marshawn who will count $2.5M per year in dead cap for 2016 & 2017.
As long as we can sign RW and BW, I would like to see us keep BI unless he is just too damn expensive. He has improved every year and is considered maybe the best athlete on the team.
Defense wins championships.
Looking at the cap room for 2016. There is about 36 million left to play with if the cap doesn't go up ( I expect that it will) The 36 million is without RW or B. Wagner or Irvin.
I'd liked to Irvin on the team and it looks doable. So:hope:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, no. Right now, the cap is $143 mil, you aren't going to see a $22 mil cap increase in a season. The 2016 cap right now, is projected to be around $150 mil, give or take a mil or two. The reason the cap increased as much as it has in the last 2 seasons is because of the new TV contracts & "cap smoothing". Were will likely to see a steady increase of $5-8 mil every season and not see a large jump.
Yeah, you're right. In my mind i was looking at two more years, not 1. My mistake. In the last 2 seasons it's increased about $20M. If this levels off like you say then some of these deals are going to make things tight.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally you would like to pay Bruce a little less than that per year, but you can't afford to lose such a valuable asset on defense just because the price tag is 1-2 mil more than you'd like to pay.

It's hard to truly gauge what Bruce Irvin's ceiling is. He showed his potential to rush the qb in his rookie year then the position change returned any progress he made back to square one again. So essentially this past season was really his 2nd full year at the LB position. He showed a lot of promise with his improvement as he better understands the position.

I think Bruce has the potential to be a 8-10 sack guy. His rare size and athletic abilities makes him a player that can be a weapon opposing offenses fear.

I say pick up his option. And if we need money find a piece of fat elsewhere to cut off. Don't let go of a valuable asset...who could potentially go sign with a team in the NFC and have it come back to bite us.

Reactions: BHF

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the cap room for 2016. There is about 36 million left to play with if the cap doesn't go up ( I expect that it will) The 36 million is without RW or B. Wagner or Irvin.
I'd liked to Irvin on the team and it looks doable. So:hope:

It will be a bit less than that still though in you haven't factored in draft picks yet with that. Usually that is around $6 million so really $6 million for this year and $6 million for next year so take about $8-12 million off that total as well. Still everything will depend on what kind of contracts they would sign the other guys to. Such as they can sign Wilson to a mega-deal but still have his cap hit this next year under $10 million.