• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Trent Baalke Andy Reid 2.0

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners went into the season with GLARING holes at CB, and what does Baalke do? He drafts CBs in the 4th & 5th rounds & promotes the backup (Brock).

I'm not the least bit confident the Niners added enough to overtake Seattle. Adding Stevie Johnson was nice, but is a #3 receiver going to do a ton to drastically improve the offense?

If they were going to filed the most talented team in the NFL they needed to improve the defense. I'm not sure Tank Carradine and some rooks can do that by themselves.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has to stop choking

He doesn't choke. I don't know what u have been watching. 1 bad Int and now he chokes(on a great play). What about GB game, Superbowl when he gave us a shot to win after being blown out, Atlanta game. He is usually good when it comes to a last drive. 1 bad game against seattle who destroyed Denver in the Super Bowl.

Stop with the choking thing. Doenst even make sense. Some one that chokes doesn't make it a Super Bowl and a NFC championship game 2 years in a row. Choke is some one like Romo and Rivers who can't get to the big stage. LBJ choked before he had to be teamed up with a superstar team.(he got over that hump).

Kap is fine. He only has been a start for 1 1/2 years. U make it sound like he has been the starter for 10 years and hasn't won.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners went into the season with GLARING holes at CB, and what does Baalke do? He drafts CBs in the 4th & 5th rounds & promotes the backup (Brock).

I'm not the least bit confident the Niners added enough to overtake Seattle. Adding Stevie Johnson was nice, but is a #3 receiver going to do a ton to drastically improve the offense?

If they were going to filed the most talented team in the NFL they needed to improve the defense. I'm not sure Tank Carradine and some rooks can do that by themselves.

I agree with you. I been saying this the whole draft and everyone jumped on me. A lot of people on here think Ward and what the 49ers did was Amazing(even though no one had the 49ers drafting him). We didn't fill our needs. I will say at least we traded for Johnson. There should be no more excuses about this offense. We have 3 very very good WRs now and all are different.

Now to be fair they did draft some talented players, problem we won't see them play for at least a year or 2. Only Martin has a good shot at see a lot of playing time if he wins the center position. Ward is not a given to win the slot position in the nickel package.

Last year most knew Reid would play right away.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I agree with you. I been saying this the whole draft and everyone jumped on me. A lot of people on here think Ward and what the 49ers did was Amazing(even though no one had the 49ers drafting him). We didn't fill our needs. I will say at least we traded for Johnson. There should be no more excuses about this offense. We have 3 very very good WRs now and all are different.

Now to be fair they did draft some talented players, problem we won't see them play for at least a year or 2. Only Martin has a good shot at see a lot of playing time if he wins the center position. Ward is not a given to win the slot position in the nickel package.

I didn't say this just because of the draft. And I'm not even saying it was a bad draft. In fact, I thought Hyde, Martin & Thomas were all steals (with Aaron Lynch as the wildcard). It has more to do with how it seems like he's always building for the future but never sacrificing future for short-term hole filling (like he could've done if he signed Darrelle Revis).

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things I want to say about Baalke 1st he is extremely unlikely to ever bring in a FA to be the higest paid player on the team. In this new NFL "the best team" routinely doesn't win the Superbowl so the "one player away" philosophy doesn't work anymore IMO. 2ND Baalke believes that every year there needs to be a turn over of about 20 players a year. So drafting 12 players with 3 on PUP is fine in the grand scheme of things.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ward replaces Carlos Rogers. That's a significant upgrade in my opinion.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why don't you tell us why ward is not a given to win the slot again. Maybe use quotes from baalke and harbaugh.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ward replaces Carlos Rogers. That's a significant upgrade in my opinion.

Ward only replaced Rogers in the slot. Not on the outside. At this point it's Culliver (with possible suspension coming and coming of an ACL tear) and Brock on the outside w/ the top backup a guy the Niners cut last year: Cox (or a 4th-round rookie).

Not exactly a recipe for dominance.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ward only replaced Rogers in the slot. Not on the outside. At this point it's Culliver (with possible suspension coming and coming of an ACL tear) and Brock on the outside w/ the top backup a guy the Niners cut last year: Cox (or a 4th-round rookie).

Freakin A. Just think how bad things could get if something happened to Brock.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the secondary hasn't had a recipe for dominance for the last 3 seasons yet the D has been dominant. I think they're more talented this season then the past couple seasons. And the seahawks make a habit of late round CBs making an impact. Why can't the niners? Maybe they learned from dumping cooper last year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well the secondary hasn't had a recipe for dominance for the last 3 seasons yet the D has been dominant.

I don't think it's been dominant since 2011. It's been really good, but dominant? I don't think so.

It's been good enough to put the team neck & neck w/ the best teams in the NFL 2 years in a row, and I'm sure the team will be right there in contention this season too (especially w/ Kaep possibly in a contract year). But other teams have caught up to the Niners in terms of talent. In fact, a couple may have surpassed 'em. Here's a list of short-term fixes for which I was screaming by year:

2011: Trade for Steve Smith. He could've been the difference.
2012: Sign Mike Wallace. He WOULD have been the difference.
2013: Sign DRC to a long-term deal. Instead, Denver stole him. :mad2:
2014: Sign Darrelle Revis.

Baalke could have pulled off any of these moves, but I think he's more interested in long-term job security than trying to make one final push towards dominance.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's been dominant since 2011. It's been really good, but dominant? I don't think so.

It's been good enough to put the team neck & neck w/ the best teams in the NFL 2 years in a row, and I'm sure the team will be right there in contention this season too (especially w/ Kaep possibly in a contract year). But other teams have caught up to the Niners in terms of talent. In fact, a couple may have surpassed 'em. Here's a list of short-term fixes for which I was screaming by year:

2011: Trade for Steve Smith. He could've been the difference.
2012: Sign Mike Wallace. He WOULD have been the difference.
2013: Sign DRC to a long-term deal. Instead, Denver stole him. :mad2:
2014: Sign Darrelle Revis.

Baalke could have pulled off any of these moves, but I think he's more interested in long-term job security than trying to make one final push towards dominance.

Care to explain how allowing 17 pts a game the last 2 seasons isn't dominant?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners have led the league in time of possession. By a significant margin.

That's a nice answer. Maybe you can point me to a website that shows that because I really don't think they did. I know Houston was the best in 2012. You expect me to believe the 2013 niners offense led the NFL in time of possession?? They were probably closer to being at the top of the league for 3 and outs.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's a nice answer. Maybe you can point me to a website that shows that because I know that's not true.

It's not?

I could swear I read the led the league in 2013 by a significant margin. I thought it was in 2012 too.

Ok, I stand corrected. Who led the league in T.O.P.?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I must've heard that stat early on in the season or something...

They were 5th in T.O.P. in 2012.

Regardless, I don't think the Niners' defensive performance in 2013 was "dominant." I think a "dominant" defense would have easily won the SB last year with that offense. I think it would have been if Baalke signed DRC like I was screaming for him to do. Just one of the ways I think Baalke blew it by going long-term rather than short.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I must've heard that stat early on in the season or something...

They were 5th in T.O.P. in 2012.

Regardless, I don't think the Niners' defensive performance in 2013 was "dominant." I think a "dominant" defense would have easily won the SB last year with that offense. I think it would have been if Baalke signed DRC like I was screaming for him to do. Just one of the ways I think Baalke blew it by going long-term rather than short.

That offense ranked 24th in the league in total yards (30th in passing). If a dominant defense wins the Super Bowl with "that offense" than we haven't seen many dominant defenses. Now, that's a belief I would subscribe to. I don't think the Niner defense was "dominant" last year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That offense ranked 24th in the league in total yards (30th in passing). If a dominant defense wins the Super Bowl with "that offense" than we haven't seen many dominant defenses. Now, that's a belief I would subscribe to. I don't think the Niner defense was "dominant" last year.

Yardage rankings are a largely useless stat IMO. I've written at length as to why in the past.

But keep in mind, I'm talking about the Niners' postseason offense. The one that had a healthy Crabtree and Vernon Davis. And a healthy Iupati for 10 quarters of the postseason.

Any offense that has Kyle Williams starting is going to limp along.