• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is trend back to 4-3 a running QB thing?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was just thinking about the few teams who have moved back to a 4-3 (Cowboys, Pats, Fish, Broncos, Bills sort of... minus the Eagles & Siants). Do you think this trend has to do with the fact that more teams are getting QBs who like to run the ball, and they need faster LBs to keep 'em from going all Colin Kaepernick on their asses?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was just thinking about the few teams who have moved back to a 4-3 (Cowboys, Pats, Fish, Broncos, Bills sort of... minus the Eagles & Siants). Do you think this trend has to do with the fact that more teams are getting QBs who like to run the ball, and they need faster LBs to keep 'em from going all Colin Kaepernick on their asses?

IMO no, cause an NFL team shouldn't set their scheme on something that doesn't occur often. although some QB's can run, that ability supplements the base offense, it isn't the offense.

we wouldn't run Kaep very often, so why change your scheme for that purpose?

btw - these good "running" QB's are good passing QB's who happen to run well. they're not just running QB's. to be an elite QB, you have to pass well first and foremost, no matter how well you run.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more of a personnel fit as opposed to reactionary in most cases. Certainly I think the Cowboys switching to a 4-3 and putting Ware on the line is simply going to be a monster move. In my opinion, I think teams are better served containing running QB's out of a 3-4, granted that the Linebackers on the edge are quick. I think you certainly gain better containment with quick linebackers on the edge as opposed to an end or a tackle more prone to getting sucked into the trash and giving up outside containment. I've watched so many plays from Russell Wilson from last season, where he patiently waited on that end to come around and he simply negated the rush by rolling opposite the heat and containment was destroyed...Personally, I'm a little shocked the Chiefs didn't switch into a 4-3 and put Tamba's hand in the dirt

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One problem is the difficulty in finding a true NT that plays 2 - gap. The 2nd is with so much passing, teams want more versatility up front and look for that 3 tech body/speed/talent rusher. 3rd is that the new breed of 3-4 teams really resemble 4-3 teams. The Hawks 4-3 under is so similar
to 80% of SF's 3-4 which is really more of a 4-3 under/over. With no real NT on SF, watch the scheme.
Just because Aldon doesn't put his hand in the sand, doesn't mean he isn't playing like a Hawk LEO in
Chris Clemons.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One problem is the difficulty in finding a true NT that plays 2 - gap. The 2nd is with so much passing, teams want more versatility up front and look for that 3 tech body/speed/talent rusher. 3rd is that the new breed of 3-4 teams really resemble 4-3 teams. The Hawks 4-3 under is so similar
to 80% of SF's 3-4 which is really more of a 4-3 under/over.
With no real NT on SF, watch the scheme.
Just because Aldon doesn't put his hand in the sand, doesn't mean he isn't playing like a Hawk LEO in
Chris Clemons.

yeah, read an article which said the Hawk's scheme is very similar to the 49ers. think it was about six weeks ago?

of course the personnel (ie Justin Smith) doesn't quite match, and hence the little differences.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its a better defense for pressuring the QB which is the only way teams can win in the NFL now. Stopping the run means nothing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its a better defense for pressuring the QB which is the only way teams can win in the NFL now. Stopping the run means nothing.

yes, pressuring the QB is now the key to good defenses, in response to the passing trend. but wouldn't go so far as "Stopping the run means nothing"?

if an opponent can run successfully at our D, they'll keep leaning on run. being able to run still helps the passing game.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does stopping the run mean nothing? This is an idiotic football answer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does stopping the run mean nothing? This is an idiotic football answer.

Almost all teams can stop the run by putting more men in the box. The problem comes when you can't pressure the passer.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Almost all teams can stop the run by putting more men in the box. The problem comes when you can't pressure the passer.

almost all teams can pressure the passer by sending 9 guys, the problem comes when you can't stop the run.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost all teams can pressure the passer by sending 9 guys, the problem comes when you can't stop the run.

I don't think so. teams like the 49ers don't sell out on the blitz and end up in a dance with the O line while the opposing wide receivers are running free. I think its much harder to stop a good passing attack than a determined running attack.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to 80% of SF's 3-4 which is really more of a 4-3 under/over. With no real NT on SF, watch the scheme.
Chris Clemons.

Does Clemons drop in coverage?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. teams like the 49ers don't sell out on the blitz and end up in a dance with the O line while the opposing wide receivers are running free. I think its much harder to stop a good passing attack than a determined running attack.

That is far from the truth NN we rarely send more then 4 rushers and Aldon had 19.5 sacks last year. As a team we where pretty high in sacks. Now I'm not against a well timed blitz but our defense is built to stop the run with 7 and rush the passer with 4. And the last couple years we have been top 10 units so I won't argue with the results

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is far from the truth NN we rarely send more then 4 rushers and Aldon had 19.5 sacks last year. As a team we where pretty high in sacks. Now I'm not against a well timed blitz but our defense is built to stop the run with 7 and rush the passer with 4. And the last couple years we have been top 10 units so I won't argue with the results

They have gottten better the last couple of seasons but that is due to persionnel rather than technique. Watching their blitzers meet the slightest opposition and then dancing with them at the line is sickening.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lack of Qulaity LBs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

didn't really mean sell out with 9 to pressure, just pointing out your earlier post doesn't work. it doesn't work in regard to total D - defending run AND pass.

if isolated to just defend run, yeah you can move safeties down. but then you trade off your ability to defend pass.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

You just keep setting new records for ridiculous posts don't you?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just keep setting new records for ridiculous posts don't you?

Teams that cannot control the opposition's passing game get beat. See the 49ers in the Super Bowl as a prime example. They shut down the run but got absolutely torched through the air and got beat for their trouble.