• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this the most brutal NASCAR crash of all time?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fast forward to the 1 minute mark for the crash.

This is definitely the most brutal that I have watched. There's been many killed in NASCAR crashes, but this is the only one that I knew without a doubt the driver was dead without prior knowledge or an announcement.

Never seen the engine and entire front clip totally ripped away from the car leaving the driver exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't watch.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtID4k3UBw]Mike Harmon's Car Torn Apart in Crash at Bristol. O... - YouTube[/ame]

This is the most brutal crash where nobody was hurt.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car was literally cut in half.

Yeah seeing clips of old NASCAR races, and crashes really makes you appreciate just how far NASCAR has come safety wise.

From Don Williams' car literally exploding to just how routine it seemed to be far cars to fly over the guardrails, it truly was the most dangerous sport in the world back then.

It's still dangerous today, but in the professional ranks, I assume the driver is ok after a crash not matter how bad it looks.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened to Mike Waltrip years before. That one happened after they made it safer, but someone left the gate open.

Yeah I've seen the Waltrip crash, I called this one more brutal because of just how close Mike Harmon was to getting hit by whatever Sauter brother was that hit his car.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thast why they have all that safety stuff. But people still die on a rather regular basis. Not really into nascar but it is what it is.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thast why they have all that safety stuff. But people still die on a rather regular basis. Not really into nascar but it is what it is.

Die on a regular basis?

There are 3 national touring divisions in NASCAR, Cup Series, Busch Series and Truck Series. Dale Earnhardt Sr was the last driver to die in a NASCAR crash that wasn't in Mexico or a regional series.

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is horrible how drivers suffered in order to make racing as well the auto industry better. But on the other hand; I am amazed just how far the sport has come in such a short time since Dale Earnhardt Sr. died. NASCAR was already making major improvements. But they kicked it into high gear when they lost Dale.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was dead when they loaded him into the ambulance, that was awful to see.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 95. Russell Phillips was driving in that class(now defunct class) and was pushed into the wall. I was at the track that day not far from there with a friend who had helped build the new set of stands towards turn 4. The crash happened so fast it was almost too fast to watch in real life, but when his car hits the wall and rolls up into the fence its was like a cheese grater and shaved the car almost down to the front and rear hood and deck. Needless to say he was part of the shavings and the parts were all around on the new stands. We had to vacate the area and they immediately covered the car with tarps and sheets. Shaved him down to mid ways of his upper torso from what i later heard from a friend who was part of the safety crew that was first responding. Here's my call for worst crash.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 95. Russell Phillips was driving in that class(now defunct class) and was pushed into the wall. I was at the track that day not far from there with a friend who had helped build the new set of stands towards turn 4. The crash happened so fast it was almost too fast to watch in real life, but when his car hits the wall and rolls up into the fence its was like a cheese grater and shaved the car almost down to the front and rear hood and deck. Needless to say he was part of the shavings and the parts were all around on the new stands. We had to vacate the area and they immediately covered the car with tarps and sheets. Shaved him down to mid ways of his upper torso from what i later heard from a friend who was part of the safety crew that was first responding. Here's my call for worst crash.

well the way you describe it. that one might take the cake. Was gonna mention I think it was in the 60's a car got the front end literally ripped off & another car basically drove into the cockpit of the torn apart car killing the driver. but being grated sounds like was worse. The racing death that angers me the most was one in an F-1 race back in their death years. (I know it isn't a nascar wreck) The guy wrecked & was fine, but upside down & trapped & ended up burning to death. Why everyone did nothing to help, except one of his competitors who stopped his car got out & tried to help & recruit help to get the car turned over. They didn't stop the race. it just continued under green. That racing organization was horrible back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtW9UgjeVI

makes you very sad & angry all in one.