• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the Golden State dynasty over?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you really think they WANT Iggy to play 3 more?

I think you could find someone much better for the money at this point in his career.

He will likely play out the final season of his contract than he is gone. He might just retire after next season honestly. What else is there to accomplish? Unless he signs for a low deal with the W's or another team to try to win another title.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the dynasty is not over. The team doesnt have to sin every year to remain a dynasty and can bounce back next year. Lakers from 1980 to 1990 was in the finals 8 of ten times and won 5, and was easily considered a dynasty.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume Toronto closes this out, the most likely outcome KD or no.

Lots of hot takes about this being it, it's done for good.

Let's look at things:

1. While some dynasties ended in a lost Finals (2004, 2014), sometimes a team loses but then comes back and wins another or two (1980s Lakers and Celtics for example).

2. KD might not leave. Before this series the narrative looked pretty solid, oh look they don't even need him, they play better without him, took care of Portland no problem, KD needs to go be wanted elsewhere. This series has changed that completely. He is obviously needed and the best player on the team, maybe that changes his plans (which I doubt he ever really had decided yet). And is there some perfect scenario for him elsewhere? The Clippers? The Knicks with that shitshow management? If he comes back obviously they are still rolling.

3. Even if he does leave, it's not like they turn to shit. They just go from being prohibitive favorites to one of a few contenders. They still have lots of talent (assume Klay stays), and it's not like they will stand pat. They will shore up the bench, look for other productive vets to fill the bench, hopefully keep Looney, add some depth. Another title is far from impossible with their big 3 still there.

So the future is unknown. Win or lose this year, they will still be in the mix for a couple more years.
2. Interesting points and you might be spot on that loss might keep him there.

3. with the right moves I agree. But wont be like 2015 as Liv and Iggy 4 years older. Barnes might not have played well but was close to a max player in FA. Can they get someone on his level?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant will consider some ...20 teams as his possible destination, the Clippers and the Knicks incuded... But I believe that his criteria for choosing, are exactly the opposite of what most may think...

The smartest think for him to do, is the same as Lebron did with the CAVs... or Kwahi did with the Raptors this season... Take a low market team and put in the map...

It will be smart for him to avoid the Knicks or the Clippers, because they may always land another "competitor for the leadership of the team" All Star which would then lead in the same story as with GSW being repeated...

Pacers are ideal because they have an ambitious FO running them and have proven that can't take the next step with only Olandipo in their roster.

Bulls are absolutely perfect for him, because they have plenty of young talent and only miss a leader... Furthermore, the Bulls have a past history that if he can resurrect, he will end up with his name being remebered for at least another couple of centuries...
Kawhi had no choice and Cavs were home for Lebron.

How do you know they couldn't take another step with Oladipo on the roster, as he wasn't on the roster?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be by far smarter for him if he avoids to pair with any of Davis, Irving or Leonard now or in the future...

kwahi in particular, he should avoid as hell to team up with, because they now have completely different and opposite tasks for their remaining career...

Kwahi will want to move to a big market team now that he has nothing more to prove if he would remain with the Raps, while with Durant it's exactly the opposite... he has won with Carry next to him, but not with a team like the Raptors were before Kwahi...

That said, he should avoid as hell joining the Raptors also, simply because if he fails to win the title with them, his fame will then be overshadowed by Kwahi's for ever...
are you just messing with us?

For some reason want to quote Armageddon and ask, "Did Crazy Willy put you up to this?"

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be crazy but I would not be shocked to see Kawhi sign with GS if Durant leaves.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... they started tanking just after they got Laury back and had their coaching stuff all replaced. Their season start was a disaster with 4 starters out and Carter with Hutchinson being totally inexperienced rookies which caused them to loose all hopes for covering the lost ground up later in the season... The combination of Parker starting along with the bad coaching, caused their defence to be non existent for the first 3 months and it was folowed by the tanking decision they made thereafter.
The idea they might not have enough to sign a max player?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is DeMarcus Cousins' status? Walk year or returning to the Warriors? If he is coming back, he could pick up some of the scoring/rebounding slack left by KD. I think a team of Thompson, Green, Cousins, Curry, and Iggy is still the best team in the NBA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, imo. As @bksballer89 said, get back to me July 2.

If KD and Klay stay, the dynasty isn't over and they are likely the prohibitive favorite again next year. If Klay leaves and KD stays, the dynasty still isn't over, but they aren't quite prohibitive favorites.

If KD leaves and Klay stays, they are over as a dynasty, but not as contenders.

If they both leave (the nightmare scenario), they may as well look to rebuild.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Interesting points and you might be spot on that loss might keep him there.

3. with the right moves I agree. But wont be like 2015 as Liv and Iggy 4 years older. Barnes might not have played well but was close to a max player in FA. Can they get someone on his level?

Sure, it won't be 'the same', I just meant they will not be terrible. They will just no longer be favorites. They should be in the mix. Livingston probably retires anyway.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, imo. As @bksballer89 said, get back to me July 2.

If KD and Klay stay, the dynasty isn't over and they are likely the prohibitive favorite again next year. If Klay leaves and KD stays, the dynasty still isn't over, but they aren't quite prohibitive favorites.

If KD leaves and Klay stays, they are over as a dynasty, but not as contenders.

If they both leave (the nightmare scenario), they may as well look to rebuild.

That's my point, they don't have to be the overwhelming favorites to stay a 'dynasty'. If they win another ring, that's part of the dynasty. They should still be in the mix for one.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be crazy but I would not be shocked to see Kawhi sign with GS if Durant leaves.
I would be since they aren't allowed. The only reason they can sign KD is Bird rights. No space to bring in an outside max guy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is DeMarcus Cousins' status? Walk year or returning to the Warriors? If he is coming back, he could pick up some of the scoring/rebounding slack left by KD. I think a team of Thompson, Green, Cousins, Curry, and Iggy is still the best team in the NBA.

Hard to say right now. While he's shown flashes of the old Boogie, he has mostly looked out of shape. If teams think he is just out of shape and can return to form, then he'll probably get offers that the Warriors can't or won't want to match.

But, if they think it's going to be like Kobe for the last 2 years of his career (some "Kobe games" here and there, but mostly struggling), then he may be back with the Warriors for another year on about the same type of deal he has now.

Fortunately for him, he's younger than Kobe was.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KD stays, they are still easily the best team in the league. If he leaves, things will get interesting but GS is still a top team in the league. It's a win-win situation. Klay isn't going anywhere.

It's more like win-not lose too bad. KD leaving is not a win.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea they might not have enough to sign a max player?
Whose idea is this? Yours? They have enough to sign not one, but two max contracts after they will release Robin Lopez.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose idea is this? Yours? They have enough to sign not one, but two max contracts after they will release Robin Lopez.
wrong on so many levels. Lopez is not released. They are at $81 mil when Lopez comes off the books. You think the cap is going up to $150 mil+ to sign 2 players?

Is this where you actually say you were wrong? Might barely have enough for 1 at most, depending where cap goes.

Chicago Bulls Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more like win-not lose too bad. KD leaving is not a win.

Of course it won't be a win but the team will still be a top team, if not still the best team. It's not like you are dropping off like the Cavs did losing Lebron. In my book, that's a win-win.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Toronto wins, the dynasty could be over.

Why? Kawhi still may not stay, at which point the Raptors are rebuilding. Houston is looking to rebuild. Where is the big challenge going to continue to come from?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had to resign Livingston and iggy because they had no cap room to replace them.

Now they need to find new role players.

They’ll have the mle and biannual to add some depth. A new David west and maybe an aminu type. Idk.

You also gotta hope Evans does something next year.