• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the Golden State dynasty over?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume Toronto closes this out, the most likely outcome KD or no.

Lots of hot takes about this being it, it's done for good.

Let's look at things:

1. While some dynasties ended in a lost Finals (2004, 2014), sometimes a team loses but then comes back and wins another or two (1980s Lakers and Celtics for example).

2. KD might not leave. Before this series the narrative looked pretty solid, oh look they don't even need him, they play better without him, took care of Portland no problem, KD needs to go be wanted elsewhere. This series has changed that completely. He is obviously needed and the best player on the team, maybe that changes his plans (which I doubt he ever really had decided yet). And is there some perfect scenario for him elsewhere? The Clippers? The Knicks with that shitshow management? If he comes back obviously they are still rolling.

3. Even if he does leave, it's not like they turn to shit. They just go from being prohibitive favorites to one of a few contenders. They still have lots of talent (assume Klay stays), and it's not like they will stand pat. They will shore up the bench, look for other productive vets to fill the bench, hopefully keep Looney, add some depth. Another title is far from impossible with their big 3 still there.

So the future is unknown. Win or lose this year, they will still be in the mix for a couple more years.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State was stupid to play so well the past several years.

Now it's just about impossible for their outlook on the future to rise above the standard that's been set.

Bad planning. :tsk:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State was stupid to play so well the past several years.

Now it's just about impossible for their outlook on the future to rise above the standard that's been set.

Bad planning. :tsk:

It was so much better in the Donyell Marshall days. Keep the expectations low.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they had Barnes before Durant. If they plug the gap with someone who was playing on the level he was back then, they're right back in it.

I also think ...

1) They can still win this year.

2) If they don't Toronto might have been just a bad matchup. It's rarer in the NBA for teams to lose because of matchups but it happens.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Toronto wins, the dynasty could be over.

But they will still be relevant as long as they have the splash brothers and Draymond. They might not get anymore rings, but they aren't a team anyone will look forward to seeing in the playoffs and they could still get another championship if they catch a few breaks.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they had Barnes before Durant. If they plug the gap with someone who was playing on the level he was back then, they're right back in it.

I also think ...

2) If they don't Toronto might have been just a bad matchup. It's rarer in the NBA for teams to lose because of matchups but it happens.

It is rare in the Finals because there is usually 1 team that is clearly better.

But I do think matchup losses happen pretty often in the playoffs. Just not on the biggest stage.

Not sure that is has happened this far in the Finals, but that is a distinct possibility.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume Toronto closes this out, the most likely outcome KD or no.

Lots of hot takes about this being it, it's done for good.

Let's look at things:

1. While some dynasties ended in a lost Finals (2004, 2014), sometimes a team loses but then comes back and wins another or two (1980s Lakers and Celtics for example).

2. KD might not leave. Before this series the narrative looked pretty solid, oh look they don't even need him, they play better without him, took care of Portland no problem, KD needs to go be wanted elsewhere. This series has changed that completely. He is obviously needed and the best player on the team, maybe that changes his plans (which I doubt he ever really had decided yet). And is there some perfect scenario for him elsewhere? The Clippers? The Knicks with that shitshow management? If he comes back obviously they are still rolling.

3. Even if he does leave, it's not like they turn to shit. They just go from being prohibitive favorites to one of a few contenders. They still have lots of talent (assume Klay stays), and it's not like they will stand pat. They will shore up the bench, look for other productive vets to fill the bench, hopefully keep Looney, add some depth. Another title is far from impossible with their big 3 still there.

So the future is unknown. Win or lose this year, they will still be in the mix for a couple more years.
KD will end up to the East this (off)season, looking to find a team he can lead all by himself with the No2 of this team visibly at a distance behind him... Best destinations for him (IMO) are in that order: The Pacers, the Bulls and then the Knicks...

It will be the East for KD, because he'll want to be in the hurt of what is the real competition for the title, so that he can feel its "pulse"

GSW will remain a playoffs team in the all the more weakening West for next season, but I doubt they'll make the WCF, even though the West will be much easier than the East to compete against next season...

Last edited:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also think ...

1. Sure. Not very likely, as I said in the OP
2. Bad matchup in the sense that Toronto is really good and great defensively and has the newly emergent best player in the game. They didn't lose because matchups. They lost because they were without their best player and without another big player for a game. They lost because they aren't the better team without Durant.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. They'll still be a playoff team but I think Durant leaves this summer and that'll cause them to take a step back.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get back to me in the 2nd week of July

This.

I need to see the landscape of the West and the NBA in general to know for sure. But they'll always be around with the combo of Curry/Klay/Green. Like we've seen them win a title with those guys and a younger Iggy and other parts. So its possible, they'll just have to refill those positions. Their championship contender status will be dependent on what useful role players they can fit around them and there's some other trio or super team out there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD will end up to the East this (off)season, looking to find a team he can lead all by himself with the No2 of this team visibly at a distance behind him... Best destinations for him (IMO) are in that order: The Pacers, the Bulls and then the Knicks...

It will be the East for KD, because he'll want to be in the hurt of what is the real competition for the title, so that he can feel its "pulse"

GSW will remain a playoffs team in the all the more weakening West for next season, but I doubt they'll make the WCF, even though the West will be much easier than the East to compete against next season...

Pacers and Bulls?

Are you for real?

Pacers have talent but not the market. But there are legit basketball reasons for that even though it won't happen.

Please enlighten us as to why the Bulls would make the 2nd best destination for KD?

This should be good.

Knicks, Nets, Clippers are the most likely destinations. The Bulls aren't even in the conversation.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is rare in the Finals because there is usually 1 team that is clearly better.

But I do think matchup losses happen pretty often in the playoffs. Just not on the biggest stage.

Not sure that is has happened this far in the Finals, but that is a distinct possibility.

Detroit/LA would probably be the best candidate

Maybe Dallas/Miami 2011 but I think a lot of that was choking

I think Detroit beats LA 8/10 times minimum if they played that over.

Obviously the Knicks or Magic would've matched up better with any team that didn't have Hakeem but I think we are talking favs who got beat by a tougher matchup

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacers and Bulls?

Are you for real?

Pacers have talent but not the market. But there are legit basketball reasons for that even though it won't happen.

Please enlighten us as to why the Bulls would make the 2nd best destination for KD?

This should be good.

Knicks, Nets, Clippers are the most likely destinations. The Bulls aren't even in the conversation.
Durant will consider some ...20 teams as his possible destination, the Clippers and the Knicks incuded... But I believe that his criteria for choosing, are exactly the opposite of what most may think...

The smartest think for him to do, is the same as Lebron did with the CAVs... or Kwahi did with the Raptors this season... Take a low market team and put in the map...

It will be smart for him to avoid the Knicks or the Clippers, because they may always land another "competitor for the leadership of the team" All Star which would then lead in the same story as with GSW being repeated...

Pacers are ideal because they have an ambitious FO running them and have proven that can't take the next step with only Olandipo in their roster.

Bulls are absolutely perfect for him, because they have plenty of young talent and only miss a leader... Furthermore, the Bulls have a past history that if he can resurrect, he will end up with his name being remebered for at least another couple of centuries...

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Durant is that if GSW looses again tonight without him in the roster and he leaves this offseason, he wins even more than he ever would by adding a 3rd title with the same team...

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant will consider some ...20 teams as his possible destination, the Clippers and the Knicks incuded... But I believe that his criteria for choosing, are exactly the opposite of what most may think...

The smartest think for him to do, is the same as Lebron did with the CAVs... or Kwahi did with the Raptors this season... Take a low market team and put in the map...

It will be smart for him to avoid the Knicks or the Clippers, because they may always land another "competitor for the leadership of the team" All Star which would then lead in the same story as with GSW being repeated...

Pacers are ideal because they have an ambitious FO running them and have proven that can't take the next step with only Olandipo in their roster.

Bulls are absolutely perfect for him, because they have plenty of young talent and only miss a leader... Furthermore, the Bulls have a past history that if he can resurrect, he will end up with his name being remebered for at least another couple of centuries...

The bulls are nowhere near ready to take that next step, durant would laugh heartily if he read this absurdity

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Golden State's run is over. But what a helluva ride it was

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are about 5 or teams KD will seriously consider.

Kawhi and LeBron went with teams who had the supporting pieces around them to contend, where they were the piece that put the team over the top.

KD will be the lead dog anywhere he chooses as long as he avoids the Warriors and the Lakers.

Even combining with a player like Anthony Davis or Kyrie he will be the guy