• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Staley now worse than Anthony Davis?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also a QB who didn't have to step into his throws to make intermediate to deep passes would help the OL out a lot. Defenses know Alex can't make many throws so they stack the OL. if they run there are a bunch of defenders to stop it. If they pass they're not afraid to leave the Niners' WRs in single coverage deep.

Every once in a while this burns defenses (like Vernon did), but 9 times out of 10 it works out for 'em.

So you're looking for a QB who can get the ball out of his hands on the 2nd step of a 3 step drop? Smith is far from a good QB, but he's been sacked too many times this year before he even gets to set his feet.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you're looking for a QB who can get the ball out of his hands on the 2nd step of a 3 step drop? Smith is far from a good QB, but he's been sacked too many times this year before he even gets to set his feet.

Agreed. There have been way too many sacks. I gave Staley a pass for the Ware sack, but I missed the other one he gave up. And today was attrocious...

However I think you'd agree that defenses would be a little more hesitant to stack the line of scrimmage so often. And if Alex wants to throw it deep he has to throw all of his weight into the pass, and that takes too much time. Sometimes that little bif of extra time is what keeps him from throwing a deeper pass instead of running around because he knows he can't get the ball to where it needs to go.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a QB who didn't have to step into his throws to make intermediate to deep passes would help the OL out a lot. Defenses know Alex can't make many throws so they stack the OL. if they run there are a bunch of defenders to stop it. If they pass they're not afraid to leave the Niners' WRs in single coverage deep.

Every once in a while this burns defenses (like Vernon did), but 9 times out of 10 it works out for 'em.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if the teams stack the line and send the extra guys because 9 times out of 10 the protection will break down and someone will get through untouched. While they know Smith won't beat them, they also know the offensive line will miss somebody.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Agreed. There have been way too many sacks. I gave Staley a pass for the Ware sack, but I missed the other one he gave up. And today was attrocious...

However I think you'd agree that defenses would be a little more hesitant to stack the line of scrimmage so often. And if Alex wants to throw it deep he has to throw all of his weight into the pass, and that takes too much time. Sometimes that little bif of extra time is what keeps him from throwing a deeper pass instead of running around because he knows he can't get the ball to where it needs to go.

I'm being more specific than "sacks." There have been probably 4 sacks where Smith is hit before he can finish his drop. You can't say he has to get rid of the ball quicker when he's getting hit on step 2 of a 3 step drop.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exaggerations...To hit VD deep today all he had to do was hit the 5 step drop. Your making it sound like AS is Hill, needing for 2-3 extra steps to throw down field.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Exaggerations...To hit VD deep today all he had to do was hit the 5 step drop. Your making it sound like AS is Hill, needing for 2-3 extra steps to throw down field.

Alex isn't quite Hill' he's better than Hill. But his limitations are the single biggest thing holding back the offense. More than the OL; more than the bad / banged up WRs (although those are problems too).

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly starting to wonder if the teams stack the line and send the extra guys because 9 times out of 10 the protection will break down and someone will get through untouched. While they know Smith won't beat them, they also know the offensive line will miss somebody.

I'm sure that's what opposing teams see on game film... which is true, that's what Dallas started doing and Cincy mirrored that perfectly earlier on...

There's no hot read connection between QB and WR/TE right now so teams believe they won't be burned by this send everyone to attack tactic.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm being more specific than "sacks." There have been probably 4 sacks where Smith is hit before he can finish his drop. You can't say he has to get rid of the ball quicker when he's getting hit on step 2 of a 3 step drop.

Hey Imac, did you catch the Vick presser about him saying he gets hit a lot and always ends up on the ground?

I LOL'd at him thinking, that's what our QB should be saying lol....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Alex isn't quite Hill' he's better than Hill. But his limitations are the single biggest thing holding back the offense. More than the OL; more than the bad / banged up WRs (although those are problems too).

last week Alex Smith looked as comfortable as any time i recall 1st half and some of 3rd). how did he look today?

we all know he doesn't have "it" and takes a split second longer to 'digest', but 15 of 20 is good and especially with no INT's. did he look 'comfortable' especially in the 4th quarter?

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last week Alex Smith looked as comfortable as any time i recall 1st half and some of 3rd). how did he look today?

we all know he doesn't have "it" and takes a split second longer to 'digest', but 15 of 20 is good and especially with no INT's. did he look 'comfortable' especially in the 4th quarter?

He had a good drive that led to a TD run by Kendall. The only drive in the 4th the 49ers had that wasn't just running the clock out or resulting in a lost fumble.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Staley also dropped a bunch of weight, which could be a factor in getting pushed around. He may be lift on his feet but that doesn't help with bullrush moves.

PaleRider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Staley is getting beat fairly often thus far. This due to the switch to zone blocking scheme mostly?

He has stood out like a guy...well, like a guy standing out in a field by himself. Maybe even a guy standing out in a field by himself trying to pancake butterflies. I like Staley, but he has not looked good at all thus far this year. Davis has looked better. Maybe it's time for a switch!?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey Sick, I got to call you out on the negative intonation of this post. "Is Staley now worse than Davis?" Why not "Is Davis now better than Staley?"

Eh yo Ray, clyde, I know it's within your power to fix that. Make it so.

PaleRider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Davis is playing well thus far this year. Seems like Staley has regressed somewhat. Gotta be the new scheme, yeah?

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sick, I got to call you out on the negative intonation of this post. "Is Staley now worse than Davis?" Why not "Is Davis now better than Staley?"

Eh yo Ray, clyde, I know it's within your power to fix that. Make it so.

Ray dogg is the OP.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Davis is playing well thus far this year. Seems like Staley has regressed somewhat. Gotta be the new scheme, yeah?

Started showing his regression last year too, some would even argue before that, so I don't know about that. Most the time he is getting beat on fundamentals, not mental mistakes.

Today he had one where he didn't even look like he extended his arms, it looked like he tried to chest bump the guy. naturally with that amazing technique, the guy bull rushed him out of the way.