• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Michigan at the point that it is going to be looking for a new coach?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too soon. Coaches ought to be given a chance, but fanbases and alumni don't have patience when they're giving a guy several million per to put a winner on the field. And some fanbases should maybe rethink exactly what "winner on the field" means. Is it ten wins every year? Is it a plus-500 record every season? Some people are just spoiled and expect too much.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hoke is safe unless an elite coach like saban or miles come calling (which is very unlikely)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance Hoke's job is in jeopardy this year. There will be some changes in his staff but I doubt we even let Borges go. The fanbase loves the guy and is smitten by the recruiting classes he is putting together. It was obvious pretty early this year that the talent isn't there on this team to compete. The offensive and defensive lines are horrible. I actually think the OLine will be better next year with the departure of two tackles to the NFL. The rest of the season is irrelevant and fans are more interested in landing Hand than beating NW.

My personal opinion is that Hoke is well liked by everyone but respected by no one. It seems obvious to me he doesn't have the leadership qualities needed to run a successful program in today's college football. If I were David Brandon (AD), I would put Hoke on notice that '14 is a make-or-break year for him and begin putting out feelers immediately. The team needs to show that it can develop the supposed talent they are bringing in.

It seems Michigan's worst fears are being realized and the comparison to ND is apt. By retaining Hoke for anything beyond next year, we are saying that irrelevancy is accepted.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every great head coach my team ever had, had an NC or 2 in their first 3 years, and an undefeated season or 2.

The point being; You'll know within the first 3 years if you have someone special coaching your team.
If you are still wondering if they are the right guy, then you don't have the right guy.

And now you're stuck with Stoops, who is never going to get you back to the promised land.

Tom Osborne didn't win a title until his 20th season and he's regarded as one of the best ever. If a coach is genuinely doing a great job, he deserves to stay. Winning a NC is about much more than great coaching. Fact is, though, Hoke got plopped down in the middle of the weakest the B1G has been in decades, with tons of talent (and don't give me this shit about how he has to "get his own players", it's not like Rich Rod was recruiting ostriches to play football or something), and he still is declining year by year. He lucked out his first year and didn't play Wisky and caught OSU's worst team in recent memory, then gets a BCS matchup with the biggest joke BCS team ever. He's getting passed up now, and even with the talent coming in, there's something not right with him. You can just tell. He looks like he is just way in over his head and doesn't quite know what to do.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I said was Hoke had been a head coach before while Weis had not. Michigan had a base for the opinion that Hoke would be a good head coach while all that ND had was speculation.

As far as the classes, he's only really had 2. His first class was a lot of RR guys and he scrambled to get some of his own. The last 2 have been good, at least they appeared to be so, so I'm just not on board with firing him or comparing him to Weis 2.5 seasons in.
I agree that Hoke needs time to bring in his guys but I find it weird that he has had 3, lets say 2 of his classes but yet he is playing Fr. on the line. What happened to that first class of his?

My bigger question is when you want to move to a pro style and have a top QB that came in, is Borges the right guy to be the QB coach? He has not helped Gardner and now the new kid is learning from him. They obviously need a good QB to run the pro system but I dont see Borges being the guy to teach this new kid.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now you're stuck with Stoops, who is never going to get you back to the promised land.

Tom Osborne didn't win a title until his 20th season and he's regarded as one of the best ever. If a coach is genuinely doing a great job, he deserves to stay. Winning a NC is about much more than great coaching. Fact is, though, Hoke got plopped down in the middle of the weakest the B1G has been in decades, with tons of talent (and don't give me this shit about how he has to "get his own players", it's not like Rich Rod was recruiting ostriches to play football or something), and he still is declining year by year. He lucked out his first year and didn't play Wisky and caught OSU's worst team in recent memory, then gets a BCS matchup with the biggest joke BCS team ever. He's getting passed up now, and even with the talent coming in, there's something not right with him. You can just tell. He looks like he is just way in over his head and doesn't quite know what to do.

It took Bob Devaney 9 years to win his Back-to-Back titles in 1970/71'. There were many people calling for his head in 1968.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Hoke needs time to bring in his guys but I find it weird that he has had 3, lets say 2 of his classes but yet he is playing Fr. on the line. What happened to that first class of his?

Well, if you are discounting that first class (I don't). His '12 class are redshirt freshman. Anybody that knows anything about college football will let you in on a secret. Freshmen lineman (redshirt or otherwise) struggle. What is disappointing is that we have two tackles that will be playing in the NFL next year and we are still embarrassing. Next year won't be a whole lot better but it will pay dividends in '15 and '16. That may be too late to save Hoke.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you are discounting that first class (I don't). His '12 class are redshirt freshman. Anybody that knows anything about college football will let you in on a secret. Freshmen lineman (redshirt or otherwise) struggle. What is disappointing is that we have two tackles that will be playing in the NFL next year and we are still embarrassing. Next year won't be a whole lot better but it will pay dividends in '15 and '16. That may be too late to save Hoke.
I dont discount it but many Mich. fans do so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. You are right they do struggle, but they have been changed what 4 times already this year? Seems like he is getting talent but not developing that talent. Many other teams have young guys, take a look at the LSU depth chart. College Player Database - Depth Chart

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont discount it but many Mich. fans do so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. You are right they do struggle, but they have been changed what 4 times already this year? Seems like he is getting talent but not developing that talent. Many other teams have young guys, take a look at the LSU depth chart. College Player Database - Depth Chart

Yeah, having a young walk-on start over your studs is problematic. You nailed the biggest knock against Hoke and Mattison. They have proved they can reel 'em in but coaching 'em up has been non existent. Hoke just isn't a leader. He says the right things but he hasn't garnered the respect he needs.
Lewan, our all-world tackle has been a huge disappointment as well, both in his performance and his leadership. He pulled a Clowney and it will cost him huge in the draft.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took Bob Devaney 9 years to win his Back-to-Back titles in 1970/71'. There were many people calling for his head in 1968.
It took Dooley 16 years to get his NC. He had 3 SECCs in that time. He would never have gotten the chance in today's environment.

To me, it should be about your conference, not NCs. There are so many things that play into a NC. But, if you are winning your conference and or competing for it each year, what more can you ask for? Switching coaches every 3 or 4 years isn't going to get it done.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took Dooley 16 years to get his NC. He had 3 SECCs in that time. He would never have gotten the chance in today's environment.

To me, it should be about your conference, not NCs. There are so many things that play into a NC. But, if you are winning your conference and or competing for it each year, what more can you ask for? Switching coaches every 3 or 4 years isn't going to get it done.

Agree. Spurrier will probably never win a championship at South Carolina, but after decades upon decades of mediocrity, punctuated by terrible seasons every three or four years, what he is doing in Cola now is outstanding. Beating teams like Clemson, UGa, UF, and UT on a regular basis? Yeah...we'll take that.

He'll leave when he feels like it, and we'll probably still beg him to hang around.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, you're Michigan. How can you just lay down and accept the crap Hoke is serving up? You luck into a BCS win in year 1, but then once things start to get difficult you guys are folding. Clearly this guy isn't on the level needed to be successful. Who does Michigan go after now?

Well, I can't accept it. But I have no control over who gets fired or hired. Unfortunately I think Hoke deserves one more year but if he doesn't fire Borges, or someone else offensively, we're in for another long year next year.

The sad part is that we may just win enough games both this year and next year because of our easy schedule to keep them all longer than we should. The product on the field isn't nearly up to expectations and some of it wouldn't be accepted at MAC schools.

If it were me? I'd get on the phone and offer Harbaugh $15 million dollars, but it's not. We can clearly afford it. He's our Urban but our timing was horrible the last time around and he was a fairly unknown guy when we went looking around the 1st time.

I don't know what else to tell you other than I expect to be losing to OSU and MSU for quite some time. MSU might go a little more back and fourth just because we are getting some talent into the program. But other than that, the OSU game is going to be a blood bath once again. I'm really excited I pay $90 to watch my team get blown out by Ohio State every few years. I also love going into the games with basically no chance.

I think another poster nailed it in that Hoke is getting the talent but is showing a complete inability to develop it. Even more scary are his comments after these games; as if they're just "another loss" and the guys "didn't execute". At this point, it's farrrrr more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can't accept it. But I have no control over who gets fired or hired. Unfortunately I think Hoke deserves one more year but if he doesn't fire Borges, or someone else offensively, we're in for another long year next year.

The sad part is that we may just win enough games both this year and next year because of our easy schedule to keep them all longer than we should. The product on the field isn't nearly up to expectations and some of it wouldn't be accepted at MAC schools.

If it were me? I'd get on the phone and offer Harbaugh $15 million dollars, but it's not. We can clearly afford it. He's our Urban but our timing was horrible the last time around and he was a fairly unknown guy when we went looking around the 1st time.

I don't know what else to tell you other than I expect to be losing to OSU and MSU for quite some time. MSU might go a little more back and fourth just because we are getting some talent into the program. But other than that, the OSU game is going to be a blood bath once again. I'm really excited I pay $90 to watch my team get blown out by Ohio State every few years. I also love going into the games with basically no chance.

I think another poster nailed it in that Hoke is getting the talent but is showing a complete inability to develop it. Even more scary are his comments after these games; as if they're just "another loss" and the guys "didn't execute". At this point, it's farrrrr more than that.

:wtf:

Michigan only lost 21-26 @ Ohio St last year.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like just a couple weeks ago you were claiming that it was going to be Ohio State and Michigan at the top and then everyone else well below in the Big Ten.

Good to see reality set in.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

Michigan only lost 21-26 @ Ohio St last year.

Yeah, but the progress OSU has made in 1 season and the regression Michigan has made in 3 no longer makes me think Michigan has any chance moving forward until something dramatic changes in our favor. It's a "rivalry game" blah blah blah - I've told myself that for the past 14 years and I've seen what - 2 wins? They have some sort of ju-ju jinx over us right now and it isn't going to be fixed with a team that can't get positive rushing yards against one of the worst rushing defenses in the big ten; no offense to your team.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
931d61d62ec7e9772b0fe719991519b3.jpeg

"Brady Hoke's Fart Pants, they are scrumptious. Like running the perfect counter trey!"

indirect quote from Mark May; made last night while watching The Little Mermaid

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

Why, because you just said it wasn't? Your statement is a bigger fraud than Wisconsin peeps saying they won at Arizona St.

I watched that game and Ohio St was never in complete control. They trailed 21-20 at Half.

...........1st.....2nd.....3rd...4th.....Final

Michigan 7.......14.......0......0........21
Ohio St..10......10.......3......0........26

Michigan had 4 turnovers (3 fumbles, 1 int) to Ohio St's 2 (2 fumbles)

Passing

Ohio St:. 189 yds
Michigan: 171 yds

Rushing

Ohio St:. 207 yds
Michigan: 107 yds

However, Ohio St had 52 carries to Michigan's 27. They both averaged 4 yds per carry.

Ohio St had a slim lead of 23-21 with 9 minutes remaining in the 4th Q. Michigan fumbled at their own 10 yd line. Ohio St could only muster a FG making the score 26-21.

On Michigan's next series Gardner threw an INT at their own 49 yd line.

End of game.

You sir are a liar.