• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Michigan at the point that it is going to be looking for a new coach?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all heard the Weis comparisons. But here's another historical example:
In the early 80's Colorado hired Mill McCartney as their head coach, in his first three seasons he went 2-8-1, 4-7, and 1-10, one and ten! There was talk of going another direction, but Colorado had patience. They were rewarded with nearly a decade of success, three conference titles and a national title. Bill McCartney is now in the CFB HOF.

So which way will Hoke go, Weis or McCartney? :noidea:
It is too soon to tell. Yes this season as been a tremendous disappointment, no one knows that more than Brady Hoke. But all this talk of firing him after three season is ridiculous. This mindset of instant gratification that some fans have is just asinine. Hoke as done a fabulous job recruiting (despite not landing Hand) and we has able to pull Greg Mattison from the NFL and Michigan's defense is what has prevent this season from being much worse. He should be given an opportunity to fix the offensive side of the ball in the coming off-season just like John Beilein was able to fix his staff after his third and disappointing season. If Michigan and flinched with Beilein Michigan is not in the Final Four last year.

Patience people, patience. All good things come to those that wait and those that stay will be champions!

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the early 80's Colorado hired Mill McCartney as their head coach, in his first three seasons he went 2-8-1, 4-7, and 1-10, one and ten! There was talk of going another direction, but Colorado had patience. They were rewarded with nearly a decade of success, three conference titles and a national title. Bill McCartney is now in the CFB HOF.

It is too soon to tell. Yes this season as been a tremendous disappointment, no one knows that more than Brady Hoke. But all this talk of firing him after three season is ridiculous. This mindset of instant gratification that some fans have is just asinine. Hoke as done a fabulous job recruiting (despite not landing Hand) and we has able to pull Greg Mattison from the NFL and Michigan's defense is what has prevent this season from being much worse. He should be given an opportunity to fix the offensive side of the ball in the coming off-season just like John Beilein was able to fix his staff after his third and disappointing season. If Michigan and flinched with Beilein Michigan is not in the Final Four last year.

Patience people, patience. All good things come to those that wait and those that stay will be champions!

...except you, Rich Rod.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Mattison should high on the list of those considered for release. His insistence on playing "his" defense this year has exaggerated Michigan's defensive problems. Refusing to blitz even freshmen QB's despite getting no pressure from his front 4 is mind boggling. Putting freshmen DB's in single coverage on established WR's while trying to protect a lead?
As for Hoke, he is gone. All the patience in the world won't help him. People keep pointing to his recruiting skills but until the classes send in their faxes, there is no value. McC had obvious leadership skills. Hoke doesn't.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mattison should high on the list of those considered for release. His insistence on playing "his" defense this year has exaggerated Michigan's defensive problems. Refusing to blitz even freshmen QB's despite getting no pressure from his front 4 is mind boggling. Putting freshmen DB's in single coverage on established WR's while trying to protect a lead?
As for Hoke, he is gone. All the patience in the world won't help him. People keep pointing to his recruiting skills but until the classes send in their faxes, there is no value. McC had obvious leadership skills. Hoke doesn't.

Mattison, high on the list for release, really?!?!?!?!?!

Man, whatever credibility you had you just lost. Mattison is arguably one of the best DC out there. I mean for god's sake he was the DC for the Baltimore Ravens, the best defense in the NFL for the past couple of years!

Your insistence of giving a coach who has won 70% of his games and won a BCS bowl the same treatment as a coach who went 15-22 (not even .500) and no bowl wins (after failing to even qualify for a bowl his first two years) is just mind boggling!

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mattison, high on the list for release, really?!?!?!?!?!

Man, whatever credibility you had you just lost. Mattison is arguably one of the best DC out there. I mean for god's sake he was the DC for the Baltimore Ravens, the best defense in the NFL for the past couple of years!

Your insistence of giving a coach who has won 70% of his games and won a BCS bowl the same treatment as a coach who went 15-22 (not even .500) and no bowl wins (after failing to even qualify for a bowl his first two years) is just mind boggling!

Back on disney when I used to duke it out with Maize&Blue, I kept telling him that 2011 was a remarkably lucky year for a very pedestrian Michigan team. They missed Wisconsin and Penn State, two of the 3 best teams in the conference. They got to play Ohio State's worst team in many years. They got smoked by Michigan State and Iowa, but since it was the first year for the B1G CCG, Sparty tacked on another loss and Michigan backdoored it's way into a BCS games against an equally undeserving Va Tech team who is notorious for shitting the bed in BCS games. Ever since then, Hoke has been VASTLY overrated. Fact is, take out that one year when everything imaginable bounced in Michigan's favor, and he has not been a very good coach. Last year was atrocious and this year is even worse. He was an overall loser record-wise before coming to Michigan, and even with the conference being down for a variety of teams (and still missing Wisconsin), and with as much talent as he has, he can't get it together. He just isn't the elite coach Michigan deserves.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some minds are more easily (and more often) boggled than others. I didn't realize it necessary to be excessively obtuse to be a fan of Michigan.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on disney when I used to duke it out with Maize&Blue, I kept telling him that 2011 was a remarkably lucky year for a very pedestrian Michigan team. They missed Wisconsin and Penn State, two of the 3 best teams in the conference. They got to play Ohio State's worst team in many years. They got smoked by Michigan State and Iowa, but since it was the first year for the B1G CCG, Sparty tacked on another loss and Michigan backdoored it's way into a BCS games against an equally undeserving Va Tech team who is notorious for shitting the bed in BCS games. Ever since then, Hoke has been VASTLY overrated. Fact is, take out that one year when everything imaginable bounced in Michigan's favor, and he has not been a very good coach. Last year was atrocious and this year is even worse. He was an overall loser record-wise before coming to Michigan, and even with the conference being down for a variety of teams (and still missing Wisconsin), and with as much talent as he has, he can't get it together. He just isn't the elite coach Michigan deserves.

It is amazing because the whole college football world knew that '11 team was a joke. Now, the fanatics point to that season as one of glory. Lloyd Carr broke Michigan in '07 and all the king's men have yet to put humpty back together again. I like Hoke. He does things the way Michigan wants them done. He just doesn't get the results Michigan needs done.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing because the whole college football world knew that '11 team was a joke. Now, the fanatics point to that season as one of glory. Lloyd Carr broke Michigan in '07 and all the king's men have yet to put humpty back together again. I like Hoke. He does things the way Michigan wants them done. He just doesn't get the results Michigan needs done.

I have to agree with you here. Though he wouldn't do it, I think he'd make a fantastic coordinator. I just don't think he's a head coach.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a downward spiral for Michigan ever since Hoke's first year.

Should it worry Michigan fans that Hoke did better with RRod's players? I don't know.

This just seems similar to the USC situation. They had what would be described as a successful season in one of Kiffen's first years but it was all smoke and mirrors as well other than the Oregon game because they only played 2 ranked teams.

I will say those situations are also a bit different in the fact that Kiffin is a much bigger d bag than Hoke.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I think the answer to the OP's original question is clear. Barring a miracle, Hoke won't survive past next season.

Now, the question becomes "who replaces Hoke?". I don't have an answer for that. It is possible that Miles or Schiano could be available but both have turned us down in the past. It would be great if we had an ex-player or coach waiting in the wings but I just don't see anyone on the horizon.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I think the answer to the OP's original question is clear. Barring a miracle, Hoke won't survive past next season.

Now, the question becomes "who replaces Hoke?". I don't have an answer for that. It is possible that Miles or Schiano could be available but both have turned us down in the past. It would be great if we had an ex-player or coach waiting in the wings but I just don't see anyone on the horizon.

:think:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How by letting convicted felons play after a one game suspension? Or drunk driver play after a one game suspension? Or having one of his team leaders twist a guys head by his mask while in a pile and have no punishment? Whether he is winning or losing I do not think that is how things should be done and I would not have thought that is how Michigan wants them done.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, 2011 was lucky, but you exaggerate. Michigan didn't get "smoked" by MSU nor Iowa. Those were two close games, in fact the Iowa game came down to a last second goal line stand. And that Ohio State team was better than you give it credit for. Before the shit hit the fan, Ohio St. was the clear cut favorite to win the Big Ten and a dark horse for a national title. That was underminded by losing their head coach and starting QB, but the rest of the pieces were there (also why Meyer was able to slip right in and have the success he's had).
And 2012? That was actually not a bad year. True they fell short of their goals, but look at those 5 loses. All were away from home, to top level teams, and outside of the Alabama game very close and very winnable.

So in short we are judging Hoke at Michigan off of one bad year, while he's still in transition no less. This isn't the pro's when a new head coach comes in he can go out and get the guys he needs through trades and free agency, who also aren't kids that need to be taught a lot. There are plenty of examples of a program that takes 3, 4, 5 or even more years to hit their stride and start succeeding. Fact is Michigan very well could turn the corner very soon under Hoke, then what? Then what becomes of all this doom and gloom. For the umpteenth million time, stop being a drama queen and let's let this play out.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy enough to abide (hell, encourage) disparagement of Brady Hoke, for a variety of reasons...but...c'mon, the guy's a big ol cotton-brained teddy bear, a rider not a driver.

Which, if true (to any degree), raises the question: Who's driving the big blue bus?