• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is KSU coach Snyder in the wrong or in the right?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just admitted athletes commit to Saban but bama supplies the the resources you stupid fuck.

You're citing one guy after you just admitted athletes commit to Saban? Really?

I never once said recruits commit to Saban.

I said they come to Alabama because of Saban, but they commit to the school.

As for the Ohio St player, that is what he said in his commitment that I had literally just read seconds before posting it.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why the quality of the degree is being talked about at all.

As I already said, it's not something the coaches exactly have control of. All they can do is make sure the players make education a priority.

I just figured you might try to make a point or say something relevent sooner or later.
Because every coach points out the quality of the school to every recruit even if it is not true. The next coach that says the degree at State U is not as prestigious as say Stanford's, will be the first. Remember you point out that the recruit commits to the school not the coach, who commits to a second rate school?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because every coach points out the quality of the school to every recruit even if it is not true. The next coach that says the degree at State U is not as prestigious as say Stanford's, will be the first. Remember you point out that the recruit commits to the school not the coach, who commits to a second rate school?

Kids who aren't good enough to get offers from "first rate schools"....

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids who aren't good enough to get offers from "first rate schools"....
And so, pointing out the graduation rate at a lower level school is equal to that of a more prestigious one? There in lies the fallacy of the NCAA's graduation rate as a criteria for a 5-7 team getting to go to a bowl game, which is what started the conversation between you and me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so, pointing out the graduation rate at a lower level school is equal to that of a more prestigious one? There in lies the fallacy of the NCAA's graduation rate as a criteria for a 5-7 team getting to go to a bowl game, which is what started the conversation between you and me.

Actually you butted into an existing conversation as I mentioned APR in response to this:

Tell me when Saban does anything for academic reasons and then I might listen to you.

To which I pointed out the APR(the GSR is also really high). And as far as the coaches go, these are measurements on how effective they are doing their job in making sure the kids get their education.

I never tried to claim Alabama had superior academics, because the NCAA doesn't measure that and is only interested in making sure the coaches and programs are doing the right things.

You guys are the ones who started talkign about who had superior academics because well, that's what butthurt people do.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you butted into an existing conversation as I mentioned APR in response to this:

To which I pointed out the APR(the GSR is also really high). And as far as the coaches go, these are measurements on how effective they are doing their job in making sure the kids get their education.

I never tried to claim Alabama had superior academics, because the NCAA doesn't measure that and is only interested in making sure the coaches and programs are doing the right things.

You guys are the ones who started talkign about who had superior academics because well, that's what butthurt people do.
So, you make a point about APR, I respond and you feel I butted in. Did you per chance attend the University of Alabama? As I said earlier, as long as they are called student/athletes their decisions on which school they attend are linked even if you don't agree.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you make a point about APR, I respond and you feel I butted in.

Did you eat lead paint chips as a kid?

Did you per chance attend the University of Alabama?

No.

As I said earlier, as long as they are called student/athletes their decisions on which school they attend are linked even if you don't agree.

If there wasn't a distinction between the student and athlete part the NCAA wouldn't exist.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you brought that up. Apparently, it is harder to graduate from USC than it is from the University of Alabama(Tuscaloosa)
Here are some Academic Rankings: US News and World Report USC 23 Alabama 103
College Niche USC 17 Alabama 141
Forbes USC 65 Alabama 335
Start Class USC 49 Alabama 103
So maybe Alabama does a better job at getting its football players through, but let's not imply that it is better academically. And don't even bring up Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Boston College, Rice, Berkley,
and the BIG 10 (pick one), Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech University of Texas (Austin), and let us not forget Auburn at 231 in Forbes.

Those of us who love college football but aren't blind ass homers or just fans who couldn't care less about academics know that some schools value education more than others. Im a USC fan and I know it's harder to get into Duke, Stanford Berkley, much harder in some cases and it's easier to get into others because I hear certain players couldnt be accepted at USC but went right over to one of those other schools. For this clown to wave the APR that Alabama puts out is hilarious. It's like asking a parent if his kid is smart. Saban picks off the top players and they are great football players but come on they arent scholars and yet they all magically get good grades while everyone knows the great majority of those players wouldn't get on campus at Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame and yes even USC (less than those but still quite a few).
So be a fan 2down20 but gtfoh with you waiving anything Alabama puts out about their players academics. You've had more players arrested than all these schools combined. Thats the numbers we all know.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of us who love college football but aren't blind ass homers or just fans who couldn't care less about academics know that some schools value education more than others. Im a USC fan and I know it's harder to get into Duke, Stanford Berkley, much harder in some cases and it's easier to get into others because I hear certain players couldnt be accepted at USC but went right over to one of those other schools. For this clown to wave the APR that Alabama puts out is hilarious. It's like asking a parent if his kid is smart. Saban picks off the top players and they are great football players but come on they arent scholars and yet they all magically get good grades while everyone knows the great majority of those players wouldn't get on campus at Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame and yes even USC (less than those but still quite a few).
So be a fan 2down20 but gtfoh with you waiving anything Alabama puts out about their players academics. You've had more players arrested than all these schools combined. Thats the numbers we all know.

So it's Saban responsibility to make Alabama academics harder than Dukes?

:lol:

Or is it his responsibility to make sure the players are going to class and getting an education, which is what the APR and GSR is meant to measure?

It sounds to me like you formed your opinion and then it doesn't really matter what is said after. To you, there is no way in hell Saban is doing anything right towards education, thus any evidence towards that end must be fabricated.

And that's why you are just another bitch ass hater.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When getting into the topic of using APR to gauge academic standards you have to just laugh imo. All APR is is a mother watered down stat that skews the numbers and shifts the focus away from real academic standards.Such as GPA and several other legitimate stats. If we are talking Saban in conjunction to team and player stats related to education. Didn't Saban openly admit to helping players cheat on the Wonderlic.When he wanted to draft them?Didn't he play a role in an academic scandal at LSU before jumping ship for Miami? With his past I cant say I would cite him as an example of academic ethics. If you are going by true stats. You are correct Stanford,Cal,Duke,ND,SC and several others are more prestigious.However this is just shifting the goal posts again.And really has nothing to do.With the fact that denying a transfer is wrong. If a coach can drop a player for personal reasons.Theres no reason a kid cant leave a team for personal reasons. From a problem with a coach which happens.Down to not receiving playing time. Theres multiple legitimate reasons for transfers.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's Saban responsibility to make Alabama academics harder than Dukes?

:lol:

Or is it his responsibility to make sure the players are going to class and getting an education, which is what the APR and GSR is meant to measure?

It sounds to me like you formed your opinion and then it doesn't really matter what is said after. To you, there is no way in hell Saban is doing anything right towards education, thus any evidence towards that end must be fabricated.

And that's why you are just another bitch ass hater.
You're so clueless you don't even know why that APR of Alabama is a joke. The fact that they report better numbers than Stanford or Duke is just lost on you. Anything you don't understand you just come back well they are just haters. Ignorance is bliss.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're so clueless you don't even know why that APR of Alabama is a joke. The fact that they report better numbers than Stanford or Duke is just lost on you. Anything you don't understand you just come back well they are just haters. Ignorance is bliss.
That actually speaks volumes. SC fans actually do carry hatred for Stanford and Cal.But we are not going to pretend. They are not academically superior based on actual data.Or utilize a formula that gives the illusion they are not. Those schools with actual higher academic standards are visible in many ways. One manner it's clearly evident is through recruiting. Acceptance rates, SAT standards........In a lot of ways as much as I hate them they do have disadvantages due to those standards

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That actually speaks volumes. SC fans actually do carry hatred for Stanford and Cal.But we are not going to pretend. They are not academically superior based on actual data.Or utilize a formula that gives the illusion they are not. Those schools with actual higher academic standards are visible in many ways. One manner it's clearly evident is through recruiting. Acceptance rates, SAT standards........In a lot of ways as much as I hate them they do have disadvantages due to those standards

They are rivals but academically no one around here (home, I'm currently in Maui) is going to act like getting a Stanford degree isn't off the charts amazing. No one in so cal would turn down an opportunity to attend Stanford. A Notre Dame degree is right up there too. I'm just not going to act like Arizona or Oregon match them just because they slide their athletes through at the same rate or better.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are rivals but academically no one around here (home, I'm currently in Maui) is going to act like getting a Stanford degree isn't off the charts amazing. No one in so cal would turn down an opportunity to attend Stanford. A Notre Dame degree is right up there too. I'm just not going to act like Arizona or Oregon match them just because they slide their athletes through at the same rate or better.
Oh I agree rivals ontbe football field. But academically there is a major difference. If we are to go by actual academic stats. Not intended for college football purposes

Shelby

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Snyder was mostly in the wrong. I understand trying to encourage his player to honor the commitment he made to the school, which I think Snyder was in the right about, but the commitment is primarily tied to the athletic scholarship and so if he wants to transfer to another school then it should just simply void out the athletic scholarship and free him to leave and accept whatever scholarship another school wants to give him. Snyder took it too personally and was trying to abuse his power in my opinion. I think athletes, just like students with academic scholarships that committed to a school when they accepted and enrolled, should be able to have the freedom to transfer without punishment from the coach or administration. You may not be able to take the scholarship with you, but there should not be vindictive coaches keeping you from making an adult decision.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you don't know what APR is or what the purpose of it is, that's fine.

I'll give you a hint - nobody is saying Alabama is academically higher than Stanford you ignorant fuck.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that a student with an Academic Scholarship cannot transfer without permission? I am totally unaware of that rule, I had a child with a full Academic Ride, did not transfer but I cannot find that rule in any of the paperwork.
That is my understanding. The rule speaks to contacting a school or visa versa but what it comes down to is if you are denied you can still transfer but without an athletic scholarship for a year.
Every student that transfers and takes their scholarship with them has permission.
At least that is how I interpret it.
NCAA Transfer Rules. 4-4 Transfer. Permission to Contact.
In Division I and II, a student-athlete must request permission to contact other schools about a transfer. Requests can be formal or informal, in writing or oral. Most requests are less formal and during a discussion between an athlete and a coach or administrator. But the NCAA rules about requesting permission to contact only apply if an athlete makes a written request for permission to contact another school.

Once a student-athlete makes a written request for permission to contact other schools, the school has seven business days in Division I or 14 calendar days in Division II to grant to deny the request. If the request is denied, the school must notify the athlete in writing and offer a hearing with a group that does not include anyone from the athletic department. If the athlete wants a hearing, the school has 15 business days in Division I or 30 calendar days in Division II to complete the hearing and provide the results to the athlete. If the school misses either deadline, permission is automatically granted.

If permission to contact another school is denied, two things happen. First, the school must stop recruiting the athlete. Second, the school may not give the athlete an athletic scholarship for the first year the athlete attends the school. An athlete may still transfer and practice with the team, and even compete in some very odd circumstances though.

edit: Just caught my mistake. That should be an athletic scholarship though I would think yes, if the academic scholarship is awarded by the school they are not going to take that scholarship to another school

Last edited:

Lvste.Nole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As already pointed out, the schools are protected when coaches do that. The other school has to pay the buyout, so they basically get a free head coach for a few years because they other school will be paying for it.

You are trying to remove the protection the schools get for the students is all.
Yes, the schools are compensated when a coach leaves. How are they benefiting from making a kid sit out a year? The school gains nothing from making a kid sit out or go the juco route. When he's gone, he's gone. Whether he sits a year or plays right away is not going to change that fact. Seems more punitve than compensatory

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the schools are compensated when a coach leaves. How are they benefiting from making a kid sit out a year? The school gains nothing from making a kid sit out or go the juco route. When he's gone, he's gone. Whether he sits a year or plays right away is not going to change that fact. Seems more punitve than compensatory

Have to sit out a year discourages them from transfering.

Without it, kids would be transfering like crazy and it becomes more like free agency.

Releases and such are for times when it's mutal. IE: The kid knows he's never going to contribute, the coaches know he is never going to contribute.