• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kirby Smart, Mark Richt 2.0???

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Richt first 3 seasons.
8-4
13-1
11-3

Kirby Smart first 3 seasons.
8-5
13-2
11-3

What has to happen for him not to become Mark Richt 2.0
And can he make it happen.

Records are almost identical
It's weird

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is undoubtedly better than Richt. He wins the big ones more and has actually been in the CFP, something I do not think Richt could have accomplished.

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is undoubtedly better than Richt. He wins the big ones more and has actually been in the CFP, something I do not think Richt could have accomplished.

I agree, but he has to get back to the College Football Playoff and win it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but he has to get back to the College Football Playoff and win it.

Ooh hi there...I see you like to switch up your favorite teams frequently...do you have a best friend on this website??? :eyebrows:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, OP = dumoss, although I'm not sure why

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh hi there...I see you like to switch up your favorite teams frequently...do you have a best friend on this website??? :eyebrows:

Yeah, I have switched up favorite teams quite a few times, but this is the last stop. Also Who is OP? I have been seeing posters talk about him / her a lot, but never seen a post by him / her.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart has lost with natty talent. That's puts him in the same category as Richt for sure.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have switched up favorite teams quite a few times, but this is the last stop. Also Who is OP? I have been seeing posters talk about him / her a lot, but never seen a post by him / her.

He's a total dick...it's good to remind everyone occasionally by saying things like "OP is a fheg" in nearly every thread. Go ahead and give it a shot, you'll earn immediate skreet cred

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a total dick...it's good to remind everyone occasionally by saying things like "OP is a fheg" in nearly every thread. Go ahead and give it a shot, you'll earn immediate skreet cred
I like the OP. He's a smart and funny poster. And he has a LOT of cred.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, OP = dumoss, although I'm not sure why

Hey, Hey, Hey.
Sometimes you just have to post what everybody is thinking.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Richt 2.0, more like 1.1 because he has gotten Georgia to bigger games, recruited better than Richt, especially local Georgia recruits, but he still hasn't won anything.

If in 5 years he is still without a national title he will probably never win one. Eventually Saban will retire and Alabama will dip a bit, that is the time for Georgia to step in and take control of the conference. But Georgia seemingly never is able to actually live up to their expectations and their capabilities.

Georgia is a really like the Oklahoma of the SEC.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart has lost with natty talent. That's puts him in the same category as Richt for sure.
Richt’s talent and recruiting are highly overstated. Put it this way, the 3 highest rated UGA recruiting class rankings of all time have been the last 3 classes

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tldr - no, it's not the same.

Certainly UGa has to win a natty to shed our reputation as an underachiever. That reputation is well earned, and one that I as a Dawg fan accept.

That said, while the numbers in OP might make you conclude that, to those of us who follow the program closely, it isn't close to the same. I was and am a huge Richt fan. But CKS has taken the program to a different level in a number of ways. First, the recruiting isn't close to the same. CKS is recruiting on an entirely different level, and contrary to a post above it's because he is doing very well in-state, but also killing it out of state. To win the NC, you have to get outside your state, even if the state is FL, GA, TX or CA. CKS is doing that. See, Bama, tOSU, FSU, Clemson. None of those teams rely on a single state.

Second, the SEC is a LOS league, and I think it is fair to say your have to have a great OL to win it all. Richt's OL recruiting was abismal. I mean terrible. CKS with Pittman is absolutely slaying OL recruiting. I'd say it is night and day, but that really doesn't describe it. Even though we've done well with RB and QB, great OL can make up for weaknesses there. Look at Bama ... they won NCs with the McQBs, a converted running back and a transfer from FSU. Tua is great, but let's not forget their QBs prior to that were good but not great ... very game managers, if you will. But, great OL and DL is what they had. With the possible exception of OU, Bama and Clemson, no one is recruiting OL better than CKS and look at what those teams have in common.

Third, Richt was fairly passive when it came to dealing with the administration. CKS made sure he had total control coming in. Coming from being under Saban for a decade, he knows what a NC program looks like, and had a large part in making Bama was. And he made sure that he had full buyin from the administration. CKS gets what he wants, Richt never did.

Which leads to fourth thing ... the admin is all-in. Richt had to deal with President Adams who was a total tool and against the football program. Richt won despite him. President Morehead is totally behind it. Plus, the liquor barons (there are two) who have great influence over the program ... they love CKS and are responsible for him being here. UGa is all-in in a way they never were during Richt's tenure.

Finally, there is simply a national buzz about UGa - the words of high schoolers and recruiting analysts, not mine - that wasn't there for Richt. Kirby is young, incredibly aggressive, a relentless recruiter, and pays attention to every detail of the program. As much as I love fCMR, no one can say that about him. He's not in CKS' league when it comes to these qualities, and those are qualities that won't go away any time soon for a young (43) coach making $7 million a year.

As to whether he can win a NC, who knows. He has to deal with Saban, something that Richt didn't have to deal with as much. I mean Bama's run is historical, second in greatness only to UCLA's run in the 60s and you might argue it's even more impressive. We will have to go through Bama every year, so he has that going against him. We also have to go through Clemson ... not taking anything away from the Dabo and gang but it is a lot easier today to run through the ACC than it is the SEC. And, we will play them 5 times in the next decade. Those are the two things most likely to hold us back. We are lucky the SECE is historically down. That said, Mullet at UF and Pruitt at UT are likely to make those teams a lot more competitive. We can only hope and pray that Malzan stays at Auburn forever as we play them every year. Our facilities are already really good, and they are already plans to continue to upgrade them. Is CKS good enough of a coach would be the only thing left. Others like to paint Smart as bumpkin ... that simply isn't true. He's actually smart as a whip. He's young and has made some game day mistakes for sure. But what young coach hasn't - hell, Saban has his Kick-6 to deal with and he is the GOAT. I think he has done a good job with his staff, favoring continuity over trying to get the absolute best every year. Saban has pulled that off, but Dabo has shown the value of continuity. This year with a new DC and OC should be a good test.

So, while the numbers are interestingly similar, the underlying data would indicate the historical trajectory is different.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirby will have UGA on probation within 2 years so his stock will fall.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirby will have UGA on probation within 2 years so his stock will fall.
Ah, so we have a "he must be cheating" post. From an Auburn fan, of all places.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-4
13-1
11-3

8-5
13-2
11-3

It's weird

They are nothing alike, Richt by all accounts is a really nice guy....

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richt can complete a sentence without slobbering like a basset hound, so nah

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-4
13-1
11-3

8-5
13-2
11-3

It's weird

He’s recruited better but hasn’t been able to get over the hump. He’s probably going to lose Fromm after this year and the WB position is going to take a step back for a couple years so he really needs to cash in this season.