• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Izzo really as good as the pundits say he is

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, is Tom Izzo really the shiznit/upper echelon of college basketball coaches? what has he truly accomplished? He's no Billy Donovan...

I say he's over rated. A nice guy whom everyone seems to love but only one championship. Isn't he really just as good as Steve Fisher?:suds:

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, is Tom Izzo really the shiznit/upper echelon of college basketball coaches? what has he truly accomplished? He's no Billy Donovan...

I say he's over rated. A nice guy whom everyone seems to love but only one championship. Isn't he really just as good as Steve Fisher?:suds:

The answer to your overall question: Yes
The answer to your steve fisher question: no

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always hard to sort out the effects of good players and good coaching. MSU looked very well coached against MI yesterday and Adrian Payne looked like an absolute beast. In any event, Izzo consistently fields strong squads, so I'm inclined to think that he is worthy of the praise he gets.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Isso is one of the best there is. It's hard to compare coaches as they recruit from different areas and end up with different caliber of players. IMO, Rick Pitino gets the most out of his players and always shows up ready to do well in the NCAA. If I had to chose one; it's Pitino.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this is sarcastic, but if not, no. He isn't overrated. In fact, I would make the argument that he's better than Billy Donovan. Not that Donovan isn't top 5, but the numbers are pretty compelling.

Championships: 2-1 Donovan
Final Fours: 6-3 Izzo
Conference Titles: 7-6 Izzo
Conference Tourney Titles: 4-3 Izzo

Take into account that Izzo has been playing the B1G while Donovan plays the SEC, and I'd give Izzo the edge.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Isso is one of the best there is. It's hard to compare coaches as they recruit from different areas and end up with different caliber of players. IMO, Rick Pitino gets the most out of his players and always shows up ready to do well in the NCAA. If I had to chose one; it's Pitino.

Agreed about Pitino. Got to see them beat Rutgers by 60+ in Memphis the other day. He was still coaching the same way up 40 that he had at tipoff.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this is sarcastic, but if not, no. He isn't overrated. In fact, I would make the argument that he's better than Billy Donovan. Not that Donovan isn't top 5, but the numbers are pretty compelling.

Take into account that Izzo has been playing the B1G while Donovan plays the SEC, and I'd give Izzo the edge.

Pretty strong case ^.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only issue I would have with Izzo is his regular season. His teams consistently under-perform preseason expectations during the season, only to make a NCAA run that makes you forget. I really can not explain it, perhaps he views the regular season as a training ground. Outside of that he is elite. Not sure there is a coach I would pick over him to coach one game.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of Tom's better teams have choked. I expect no different this year.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only issue I would have with Izzo is his regular season. His teams consistently under-perform preseason expectations during the season, only to make a NCAA run that makes you forget. I really can not explain it, perhaps he views the regular season as a training ground. Outside of that he is elite. Not sure there is a coach I would pick over him to coach one game.

I guess this is where I struggle as a Spartan...they shit the bed during the regular season while being hyped to the heavens and then make a run. But to disparage Donovan, who has 2 ultimate grand prizes while claiming he only is in the SEC while Izzo has the Pig 10, is truly making my case for me. I take Donovan over Izzo because I think he does more with less and gets no pub....Pig 10 titles mean next to nothing...championships is what it boils down to and Izzo is always fielding a top 10 talent team and yet has 1 championship. Can you say that about Donovan?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is where I struggle as a Spartan...they shit the bed during the regular season while being hyped to the heavens and then make a run. But to disparage Donovan, who has 2 ultimate grand prizes while claiming he only is in the SEC while Izzo has the Pig 10, is truly making my case for me. I take Donovan over Izzo because I think he does more with less and gets no pub....Pig 10 titles mean next to nothing...championships is what it boils down to and Izzo is always fielding a top 10 talent team and yet has 1 championship. Can you say that about Donovan?

To be honest Donovan has 2 titles to 1 for Izzo. Donovan's came from the same team. That was a very talented team, that more surprisingly stayed another year. If Donovan wins this year, that would move him up in my eyes. He has had a lot of flops over the years. Given the talent on this Florida team, it is a very impressive coaching job.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LovinMSU clone (or the original?) slithers into SportsHoopla...

whichever, whoever...there goes the neighborhood.

I say he's over rated. A nice guy whom everyone seems to love but only one championship. Isn't he really just as good as Steve Fisher?

LovinMSU was/is a regular on the CBS boards...as toxic a hater/traitor/lying sack of shit (purportedly a Spartan fan) as can be imagined. He despises Tom Izzo and loathes Mark Dantonio and will go to any lengths to downplay their successes & gloat their failures.

Seriously?
fuck this pos phony Spartan!

"Pig fuckn 10"??? calling this pos out NOW! "Spartan" my pimply ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't see the need to bring Donovan into this or make an argument either way. Both Donovan and Izzo are excellent coaches and both would be welcomed additions to just about any team looking for a new head coach. I have watched many more Florida games than MSU and can only speak to how I feel about Donovan. I think he is a top 10 coach along with Izzo, Shakka, K, Cal, JB, Miller, Self, Pitino and a whole bunch more. Most of it is about recruiting and leadership.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whichever, whoever...there goes the neighborhood.

LovinMSU was/is a regular on the CBS boards...as toxic a hater/traitor/lying sack of shit (purportedly a Spartan fan) as can be imagined. He despises Tom Izzo and loathes Mark Dantonio and will go to any lengths to downplay their successes & gloat their failures.

Seriously?
fuck this pos phony Spartan!

"Pig fuckn 10"??? calling this pos out NOW! "Spartan" my pimply ass.

WTF? I don't bleed green but I am a Spartan...but don't really care for basket ball as much as hockey. I have seen enough disappointment/failures with Izzo, Heathcote, et al to not put too much hope into it...and I just don't buy the hype/love Izzo gets for what he has accomplished as far as Championships. so take it or leave it...it really has no bearing on my life!:laugh3:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pathetic pos douchebag...
you obviously don't have a life.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pathetic pos douchebag...
you obviously don't have a life.

LOL...must be a communications grad from MSU? Am I right?! Is Tommy your daddy or something?

Lighten up Francis:bawling::omg::laugh3:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izzo, Donovan and pitino are the cream of the crop.

I never doubt them come March. Hopefully this doesn't fuck my bracket over lol.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not "hype" if it's supported by facts...

B.A./Advertising, 1975. Yes. You're right.
I've been slinging bullshit and masturbating reality for 30 years...
it's pretty easy recognizing provocative tripe for what it is.

LOL...must be a communications grad from MSU? Am I right?!

good guess...I guess.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izzo is a top-tier coach, without question. There aren't 5 coaches in the game that can boast a better resume than him.

That said, his reputation as an "overachiever" in the NCAA tournament is a bit unwarranted. His success in march has generally come with highly talented, highly regarded, highly seeded teams. Most of the times his teams advanced beyond their seeded expectation they benefited from upsets elsewhere in their bracket.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10: