• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is It In The Lakers Best Interst To Lose This Season?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, don't get me wrong. I cheer for my team, and I know they would never dog (especially Kobe) on purpose. That is not the point of this thread.

However, I think there is a strong case that having a losing season this year is best for us. Here's why:

1) We NEED fresh young new talent - The draft is the best place to get that. Sure we can add veteran free agents, but that's not what I'm talking about.

2) We lost both draft picks in 2015 to the Suns and the Magic. Plus we don't have a second round pick in 2014. If we don't hit on our first round pick in 2014 - We will have nothing to show for draft picks until 2016.

3) The 2014 draft is pegged to be one of the best in recent history. We could land big, even with a top 10-12 pick.

Is it better for us to sneak into the 8th spot and get whipped, or better to miss out, and land big in both FA and the draft?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, since the Lakers are a "championship or bust" organization, losing is probably in the Lakers best interest. As you point out, it's a very deep draft and there may be some very good talent even in the 10-12 range.

A good player in the draft, combined with the cap space that the team will have, could help get the Lakers back in the hunt sooner than later.

Having said that, we all know how Kobe is. When he comes back, he'll expect to compete for a title with this roster.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, since the Lakers are a "championship or bust" organization, losing is probably in the Lakers best interest. As you point out, it's a very deep draft and there may be some very good talent even in the 10-12 range.

A good player in the draft, combined with the cap space that the team will have, could help get the Lakers back in the hunt sooner than later.

Having said that, we all know how Kobe is. When he comes back, he'll expect to compete for a title with this roster.

Yep, and I'll still be rooting for them even to get the 8th seed. I'll just find a silver lining if we don't.:suds:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and I'll still be rooting for them even to get the 8th seed. I'll just find a silver lining if we don't.:suds:

You and me both. I'm one of those that watches every game, no matter how ugly it gets. :suds:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft is ten deep

yes, its in their interest, as it is my green team. yet it is right that you look for a silver lining if you win.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure anymore that this team can even compete for an 8th seed, even when Kobe comes back. They aren't stopping anyone on defense and their offense has not been close to good enough so far to make up for that lacking defense.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't do it Lakers.

The SPURS have had 3 lottery picks in the entire franchise history and none since 1997.
They have not picked higher than 15th in 17 years. (And that was a trade to move up)
The SPURS have 25 1st or 2nd place finishes in the last 26 seasons.

The WIZARDS have had 17 lottery picks in the franchise history including last season.
The WIZARDS have not picked lower than 18th in 17 years.
The WIZARDS have 3 second place finishes in the last 26 years.

You don't need to be a loser to be a winner.

I hate the idea of a proud franchise like Los Angeles trying to be a loser.

And the Lottery is not a guarantee for anything.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horns, the Spurs have had two number one picks and they both turned your franchise around. Your last #1 has allowed you to win multiple titles. The Spurs history is truly Robinson and Duncan, both lottery picks.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. And it may further entice LBJ down the line. He would love to be the savior of the franchise, IMO. And the Heat are getting a bit long in the tooth.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, don't get me wrong. I cheer for my team, and I know they would never dog (especially Kobe) on purpose. That is not the point of this thread.

However, I think there is a strong case that having a losing season this year is best for us. Here's why:

1) We NEED fresh young new talent - The draft is the best place to get that. Sure we can add veteran free agents, but that's not what I'm talking about.

2) We lost both draft picks in 2015 to the Suns and the Magic. Plus we don't have a second round pick in 2014. If we don't hit on our first round pick in 2014 - We will have nothing to show for draft picks until 2016.

3) The 2014 draft is pegged to be one of the best in recent history. We could land big, even with a top 10-12 pick.

Is it better for us to sneak into the 8th spot and get whipped, or better to miss out, and land big in both FA and the draft?

Is It In The Lakers Best Interst To Lose This Season?

You ask this as if they have a choice:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't do it Lakers.

The SPURS have had 3 lottery picks in the entire franchise history and none since 1997.
They have not picked higher than 15th in 17 years. (And that was a trade to move up)

The WIZARDS have had 17 lottery picks in the franchise history including last season.

I don't think the Lakers will "try to lose". The problem is that with the current roster, they may not have a choice. I am being patient with this team because I believe it will take 35-40 games before the Lakers truly know what they have. Also, I think that any thoughts of "trying to lose" would go out the window when Kobe comes back. As I've said before, he'll expect to win a title with this current roster.

As for the draft, your comparison shows that it's about how well you draft, not how often. The Spurs have had 3 lottery picks, but as logicman points out, 2 of them were David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Heck, the Lakers had 2 number 1's in the 80's and they were Magic Johnson and James Worthy. They also got Kobe at 17 in the 90's and Bynum at 10 the last time they didn't make the playoffs. Kobe is an all-time great and Bynum was on his way to being the top center in the league before his body and brain started breaking down on him.

They won 3 titles with Kobe and 2 more when they got Bynum. Pretty good returns on investment there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't do it Lakers.

:agree:LOVE this post. and this from a Spurs fan...

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers won't have to TRY to be a lottery winner, they will likely end up a lottery pick team all on their own......actually trying to win games. They just aren't that good.

Take my Heat for example. They are about to go on a massive winning streak and won't be able to help it. They are that good.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Kobe rushing back soon.

Pau's showing some serious aging and with the way he's playing, his trade stock will continue to go down as the season rolls on.

The young players on LA will play hard because most of them will be FA so they are basically showcasing themselves for other teams who may be interested next season.

I think the Lakers should worry about trying to sign FA(s) before they do or don't make Kobe an offer. Being realistic here, their priority should not be making sure they sign a 35yr old player coming off the injury he just had. They should be looking into the future and what's best for the franchise moving forward. We all know that business decisions come before peoples feelings.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Kobe rushing back soon.

Pau's showing some serious aging and with the way he's playing, his trade stock will continue to go down as the season rolls on.

Lakers will most likely trade him before you know it, even if it's for a bag of chips, the point is getting whatever you can before he becomes a FA, because theirs no way his returning next season...his washed up!

I think the Lakers should worry about trying to sign FA(s) before they do or don't make Kobe an offer. Being realistic here, their priority should not be making sure they sign a 35yr old player coming off the injury he just had. They should be looking into the future and what's best for the franchise moving forward. We all know that business decisions come before peoples feelings.

Lakers right now haven't rushed anything yet in giving him an extension while his recovering. The only thing they did was give him a lump sump $24,363,044 wich leaves a remaining $6.1 million for the rest of the season, but this is normal Kobe has been getting 80 percent of his salary on November 1 for his last few contracts. Those balloon payments don't exist in new CBA.

So right now i'm pretty sure they will wait & see how he heals before giving him an offer, that will clearly be less then what he use to make & I'm sure his aware if he wants to win a 6th ring. And as for the Lakers looking into the future, I think a they already have that's why they are clearing up cap space. Only person on the books next season is Nash. It's clear they're getting ready for rebuild mode.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they got Duncan in 1997
The Lakers got Kobe in 1996

It is not like the Spurs had greatness fall into their laps every year since.
They are a small market with some of the worst financial resources available.

They do it smartly and cheaply.

1. They invest in young foreign players for late first round picks.
They stockpile them overseas. This development doesn't count against the salary cap or more importantly the luxury tax. That is a HUGE hidden bonus.

2. They take ready to play foreign older players with 2nd round picks.
These are smaller salaries for generally guys in their late 20s.

3. When they do use a first round pick on an American born player, they always go for the youngest possible player. 18 or 19 year olds preferably. Then they stick him in the D-league.
It is better to make a mistake on an 18 year old than a 23 year old.

4. They bring in older veteran players who can either PLAY DEFENSE or SHOOT THREES.
They don't bring in veterans that excel at slashing, dribbling, rebounding, passing, or other things.
They purposely look for the defenders and 3-ball shooters only.

5. They don't hang on to a roleplayer a second longer than that player is useful.
This is a hardcore ruthlessness that doesn't get noticed much by the press.

6. They never sign big time free agents.
The only big contracts they will take come from trades....so the value is always uneven in SA favor.

Sure getting Duncan helps a lot.

But, the SPURS stick to a plan that works for the long haul as well.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does the rebuild mode include a guy who doesn't want to play defense and just wants to add to his career offensive stats at the end of his career?

You wanna try to lock up a starting core to grow together... who will mostly play unselfish team ball.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you can just be the Wizards and hope to get lucky one day...

The Lakers are better than the Wizards.

The Lakers are smarter than the Wizards.

They should never ever be looking to lose for the betterment of the franchise.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does the rebuild mode include a guy who doesn't want to play defense and just wants to add to his career offensive stats at the end of his career?

You wanna try to lock up a starting core to grow together... who will mostly play unselfish team ball.

Yes, Carmelo is someone they'll pursue next summer.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the draft is many players deep. Along with plenty of sleepers and good bench players in later rounds this is the greatest draft since 1996. Its the deepest too. I see 2nd rounders on mock drafts who I think could be good nba players. Obviously the best players will go where they should go. But plenty of sleepers in this draft as well.