• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Colin Kaepernick trade bait?

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this 3 1st round draft pick thing lately, but it's not realistic for any team in the 20's.

To get an idea of what we're looking at: yesterday I thought it would be too much for the second slot team to give up it's 1st, 2013 1st, and 2014 1st picks. Looking at it closer, that might not even be enough of a premium! Based on the chances of that team picking that high again, the team sitting on Luck shouldn't "settle" for that.

I'd want minimum 1. an elite player, and 2012 first rounder, or 2. two 2012 first round picks just to get in the door before even looking at the other compensation thrown around. That extra compensation could easily include multiple future 1st round picks.

I won't say it can't happen, but it would be very difficult for the 49ers to land him.

I agree, I just used that as a simple example and I wouldn't want to trade that many 1sts it really limits your options.

at pick 20: 2 firsts and 2 seconds isn't enough according to the draft value chart, that would be enough to get you just a little over half way there to get the #1 pick which is what you would need to get Luck. That would get you to pick 5 going by the chart.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we are getting Andrew Luck. Especially not the way we are playing right now. I'm not sure about Kaepernick being a good QB later on so we still might take a QB, but there is no way it's gonna be Luck. Especially if he wins the Heisman.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well luck can say he's gonna sign with the argo's! heck, the cfl worked for moon

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
95.7 the game is talking about Luck's dad helping him pick right situation

well luck can say he's gonna sign with the argo's! heck, the cfl worked for moon

Exactly, Luck will be able to do whatever he wants to do. You only have one shot to call your own shot and its either at the beginning of your career or never.

It worked for Carson Palmer 8 years later. LOL

Luck will want to be coached by guys he trust. Why would he want to play for

JLO & Marc Anthony -Dolphins
Mike Singletary & Leslie Frazier- Vikings (more preaching than coaching)
John Elway and John Fox- Broncos (Fox, 2 consecutive year worse record???)
Pete Carrol- Seahawks- not an options "what your deal"

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if luck plays for the toronto argo's i'll most likely buy season tickets lol

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it. Even if he has this big plan to play for the Niners, it isn't gonna happen. He would still get drafted #1 and then traded. We would have to give up too much to make a trade for him. And nobody is gonna believe that he is going to play in the CFL. That would be stupid of him. Yeah Moon did it, but that's because he was undrafted. Young had the record contract for the USFL at the time, and Elway had baseball. Eli Manning had a name so he got away with it. I don't see the CFL as a legit bargaining chip... I see it as desperation. Luck is going to play for the team he gets drafted by, and I just hope it's to a team outside the division.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see it. Even if he has this big plan to play for the Niners, it isn't gonna happen. He would still get drafted #1 and then traded. We would have to give up too much to make a trade for him. And nobody is gonna believe that he is going to play in the CFL. That would be stupid of him. Yeah Moon did it, but that's because he was undrafted. Young had the record contract for the USFL at the time, and Elway had baseball. Eli Manning had a name so he got away with it. I don't see the CFL as a legit bargaining chip... I see it as desperation. Luck is going to play for the team he gets drafted by, and I just hope it's to a team outside the division.

Jim Kelly went to the USFL to avoid going to Buffalo. A deterrent to players considering doing this, at least with the old CBA, is that the team that drafts you, retains the NFL rights to you for three years.

So, if that hasn't changed, then Luck would have to sit, or go to either Canada or the UFL (if it is still around) for three years.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly, Luck will be able to do whatever he wants to do. You only have one shot to call your own shot and its either at the beginning of your career or never.

It worked for Carson Palmer 8 years later. LOL

Luck will want to be coached by guys he trust. Why would he want to play for

JLO & Marc Anthony -Dolphins
Mike Singletary & Leslie Frazier- Vikings (more preaching than coaching)
John Elway and John Fox- Broncos (Fox, 2 consecutive year worse record???)
Pete Carrol- Seahawks- not an options "what your deal"

Yeah, why would Luck want to go play for Elway? Why would he want to play for a man who is considered one of the greatest QBs of all time, and is a STANFORD guy?

Furthermore, Luck doesn't have the ability to dictate where he goes as you suggest he has, just as Palmer didn't. Palmer said he wouldn't play for Cincinnati. He didn't say he would only play for Oakland.

Professional sports is different than all other professions in that it has a draft. A kid fresh out of law school is recruited by law firms and gets to choose where he works. The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL don't work that way. You go into the draft, the team that drafts you gets you.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually feel that the Niners are going to become the new eagles with regards to trading away back up QBs for high draft picks. Once Harbaugh cements his QB whisperer title every team is going to want his next best thing and we will be collecting high draft picks for years to come. Maybe it is Kaep maybe it is Tolzen but either way it is going to happen I am sure of it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really still talking about Luck? Not gonna happen.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really still talking about Luck? Not gonna happen.

u didn't hear? harbaugh is gonna make alex smith a pro bowler before the season is over and trade him for luck. i reads it on the internets

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did atl trade there early 20s draft pick to jump up nearly 20 spots and give up a pretty big haul? 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, and 2 4ths. That was going from 27 to 6. So im assuming if we pick in the mid 20s to move up to one with a talent like Luck there, we are probably talking giving up at least 2 entire drafts.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, why would Luck want to go play for Elway? Why would he want to play for a man who is considered one of the greatest QBs of all time, and is a STANFORD guy?

Furthermore, Luck doesn't have the ability to dictate where he goes as you suggest he has, just as Palmer didn't. Palmer said he wouldn't play for Cincinnati. He didn't say he would only play for Oakland.

Professional sports is different than all other professions in that it has a draft. A kid fresh out of law school is recruited by law firms and gets to choose where he works. The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL don't work that way. You go into the draft, the team that drafts you gets you.

Which is true, but in all honesty the hype that Luck had Eli never had that at all. He was a good QB at Ole Miss but he wasnt the greatest and still isnt. I think the only reason Manning didnt want to go to the Chargers is because he didnt want to be in the same conference as his brother. Why would he want to battle him for a Super Bowl when they could make history and play one another? I think that was a joke

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did atl trade there early 20s draft pick to jump up nearly 20 spots and give up a pretty big haul? 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, and 2 4ths. That was going from 27 to 6. So im assuming if we pick in the mid 20s to move up to one with a talent like Luck there, we are probably talking giving up at least 2 entire drafts.

LOL, Nice point you made...........I think I would do it, risk it and call it a day. The Saint did it for Ricky Williams but that was another story. I would do it just for a chance of a lifetime. After we get Luck we will draft in the late 20 anyways so why not try it. It aint tricking if you got it, and draft picks are free each year and you get 7 of them automatically might as well give them all up for one year. LOL
I would

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

What has a better chance of happening first. One of our 7 picks we have next year becoming a hall of famer or all pro or trading all those picks for Luck and he becomes Peyton 2.0?

I would bet my money on Luck

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not be surprised if Luck didn't want to play for Elway. Just because your great at something does not mean that you are great at teaching/guiding somebody at doing it. An example would be Micheal Jordon. Mike Singletary :). Jim Zorn, and Wayne Gretzky just to name a few.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Id give up 2 drafts for luck. I think hes that sure of a bet. We would just have to use free agents to fill the voids from having no draft picks.