• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't think Fangio is the problem.

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fangio is actually the right coach to have in a division with a Mahomes...and Justin Herbert. This is what we should want.

I will say this too. IF this team was healthy (Von and company), I think this team is quite possibly 8 and 4 rather than 4 and 8.

I know Elway has had a tough time finding that QB. We can go over the mistakes, but he has been trying. Osweiler, when you look back was a highly rated QB coming out of college. Yes, rated higher than Wilson and Cousins going into the draft. The Cowboys were absolutely targeting Paxton Lynch, and he (for whatever reason) ranked pretty high in scouting reports. Keenum had just led the Vikings to the NFC championship game and they took a shot.

Bottom line is it isn't easy. Lucky is the word that comes to my mind. Anyone think the Pats really knew what they had when they drafted Brady in the 6th round? You think luck played a role when Mo Lewis injured Drew Bledsoe in 2001. The Pats had just come off a 5 and 11 season in 2000 with what was a SB caliber roster. In 2001 they were off to an 0 and 2 start in 2001 when Bledsoe got injured. There is a real possibility Belichick wouldn't have survived under Bledsoe.

There has to be a lot of things going right for the perfect scenario in getting a true franchise QB. So, having said that, imo it doesn't make sense to get rid of Fangio who does have the defensive mind (ala Belichick) that can effectively game plan dynamic QBs.

Is there some QB coach combo you are hoping for that I am missing? Who? Mine was Trevor Lawrence and Bienemy. That's gone.

What's yours?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good discussion, BB. I don't think toomany eople question Fangio's chops when it comes to D. He has gotten as much as he can out of this injured group this year. And I like that he takes the blame (mostly) for the mistakes made. But the bigger concerns to me are (1) Offense and clock management and (2) leadership.

1. We can say that Shurmer has been the problem as the OC, but the gameplan and even specific calls have to be done in coordination with the HC. And the questionable clock management/play calling at ends of halfs. what it makes e wonder is if Vic has the right people in his ear - or if he isn't listening to them.

2. Leadership is almost impossible to gauge from outside the organization. But is he keeping the players respect or are they starting to tune him out? All I know is that this is the most critical component of a succesful head coach.

Bottom line, I don't belive as an organization that the Broncos can even consider making a change. mFrom both an internal and external viewpoint, we can't keep changing horses every two years.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good talk, this has been a snake bitten year if I’ve ever seen one. One thing I like about Fangio is accountability. And he has plenty of times held himself to the same standards. George, you make an interesting point about his associates and the guidance

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been plenty critical of Fangio and his preparation. I’m all about teams having their own identities, and this defense, even being plagued by injuries etc. definitely is the identity of this team. I’m willing to give him another shot

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have money to switch coaches anyway. I'm not a fan of Shurmur but, unless we bring in or draft another QB I'm not sure switching things up again will do wonders or delay growth in 21. Fangio has his flaws but, he has done an amazing job with banged up D esp in red zone. We need to wait til Broncos are sold to get new HC I'd stick with Fangio til then.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me this season was an up hill battle from jump street with the way the offseason went and trying to develop Lock. I think the offensive game plan and calling is getting better slowly. I think this is due to the offseason or lack there of. We are starting to see some screens which takes more coordination.

Right now I am all for keeping everything in as is for 2021 and see what might bloom. It will be interesting who is and who isn't back next year. Some really good players might be elsewhere.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for Fangio. 3rd year will be critical. Every time we lose everyone is quick to point the finger at the Coach. People need to understand the circumstances this season and the building we are doing right now. Fangio needs time.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like Fangio and unlike some fans, I don't think coaching and play calling is the Broncos biggest problem. Time and time again, I see a good play unfold and the team just doesn't execute. They've had plenty of opportunities that they did not take advantage of and some of that can probably be pinned on lack of pre-season and practice time. Too many inaccurate passes, too many holes at the LOS missed, careless turnovers, etc. I continue to think that this is a cutting their teeth and learning year for this young team. I think Fangio has done a good job with a very injured defense and with all of our starters back next year, the Broncos should be very competitive. This season for the Broncos is simply a very "2020" type of year.

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for Fangio. 3rd year will be critical. Every time we lose everyone is quick to point the finger at the Coach. People need to understand the circumstances this season and the building we are doing right now. Fangio needs time.
This season has been weird....OBVIOUSLY. Even without the covid crap. The draft this year was actually quite good. Getting some real production and this team has talent. Heck, last year's draft was quite good too. Lock, wasn't a bad pick. There wasn't any trading up to get him and there isn't a QB (as of now) that is lighting anything up drafted after him. He was projected in many boards as a first rounder and they got him as a bargain imo. Even if he doesn't work out.

Anyway, this team even with all of the injuries, all of the Covid crap, and no off season (remember brand new OC and very young talent) this team has been competitive. The Titans and Steelers games could have been wins with a bounce here or there. They played the Chiefs ON THE ROAD quite tough and had the perfect gameplan. The biggest disappointments to me were the Falcons game, and the Raiders game. Really no excuses for those.

They need a season fully healthy with a full off season and work before we can make realistic judgements on this coach.

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually did trade up to get Lock, but it was in the 2nd round and I think we did trade up about 9 spots. Help me out was it for one of our extra 4th round picks that year?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually did trade up to get Lock, but it was in the 2nd round and I think we did trade up about 9 spots. Help me out was it for one of our extra 4th round picks that year?
Actually gave up a 4th and a 6th round pick. But trade value it was good as “by the charts”, Denver gave up a bit less than what could have been expected.

That same year we traded from #10 to #20 with Pittsburgh for a 3rd rounder in 2019 and another in 2020.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fangio is actually the right coach to have in a division with a Mahomes...and Justin Herbert. This is what we should want.

I will say this too. IF this team was healthy (Von and company), I think this team is quite possibly 8 and 4 rather than 4 and 8.

I know Elway has had a tough time finding that QB. We can go over the mistakes, but he has been trying. Osweiler, when you look back was a highly rated QB coming out of college. Yes, rated higher than Wilson and Cousins going into the draft. The Cowboys were absolutely targeting Paxton Lynch, and he (for whatever reason) ranked pretty high in scouting reports. Keenum had just led the Vikings to the NFC championship game and they took a shot.

Bottom line is it isn't easy. Lucky is the word that comes to my mind. Anyone think the Pats really knew what they had when they drafted Brady in the 6th round? You think luck played a role when Mo Lewis injured Drew Bledsoe in 2001. The Pats had just come off a 5 and 11 season in 2000 with what was a SB caliber roster. In 2001 they were off to an 0 and 2 start in 2001 when Bledsoe got injured. There is a real possibility Belichick wouldn't have survived under Bledsoe.

There has to be a lot of things going right for the perfect scenario in getting a true franchise QB. So, having said that, imo it doesn't make sense to get rid of Fangio who does have the defensive mind (ala Belichick) that can effectively game plan dynamic QBs.

Is there some QB coach combo you are hoping for that I am missing? Who? Mine was Trevor Lawrence and Bienemy. That's gone.

What's yours?
I like this discussion because as a Chiefs fan since the 1967 season I can count on one hand in all that time that the Chiefs have gotten the quarterback position right. Totally agree that a HELLUVA Lotta luck goes into it...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this discussion because as a Chiefs fan since the 1967 season I can count on one hand in all that time that the Chiefs have gotten the quarterback position right. Totally agree that a HELLUVA Lotta luck goes into it...

How old were you in '67 fifty? :heh:

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always respect people who stick with their teams through all the lows. And you had plenty of those. I hope Lions fans can live long enough to enjoy some taste of success.