• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Colin Kaepernick trade bait?

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was listening to Murph and Mac this morning on KNBR and they mentioned how Andrew Luck says he basicially doesnt want teams to lose just to draft him. They then brought up John Elway and how he did the same thing back in the 80's.

Do you think Luck could cause deja vu just to join Harbaugh and a staff he is familiar with? Honestly I think he will do the same, he trust Harbaugh, he credits Harbaugh for helping him as a person on and off the field why would he want to jeapordize his career with the Dolphins, Broncos, Seahawks etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prime shouldn't be trade bait at all... We'll see how Smith finishes this season(maybe playoffs) and we can discuss from there....

Prime needs more games to get a better return package(if we were to dangle him which I'm not in favor of)

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This has nothing to do with Alex at all. But its just a question because it was brought up on the radio and in interviews. Not sure if you guys listen to Murph in Mac in the morning. But you have to wonder because its a popular discussion with teams tanking. The teams who could end up with the #1 pick have crappy defenses and no running game.

If you were a college grad fresh out of college would you join a company over in say South Dakota with people you dont know or would you stay in your area and go to a company with a CEO that you know very well? Realistic question if you look at it that way.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Prime shouldn't be trade bait at all... We'll see how Smith finishes this season(maybe playoffs) and we can discuss from there....

Prime needs more games to get a better return package(if we were to dangle him which I'm not in favor of)

Cool, we can save that one. But it has nothing to do with Colin but giving up draft picks in exchange for Luck will cost us Colin no doubt.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see it. Elway was a unique case because he had the threat of just playing baseball instead. Luck doesn't have that. He's worth millions as a football player, and what, maybe $100K (generously, though he's still a Stanford grad) if he goes into the normal workforce. The league can't allow guys to force a team's hand, and we won't have nearly the ammunition to trade up that high unless we offered up an established player in addition to a hell of a lot of picks.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with Alex at all. But its just a question because it was brought up on the radio and in interviews. Not sure if you guys listen to Murph in Mac in the morning. But you have to wonder because its a popular discussion with teams tanking. The teams who could end up with the #1 pick have crappy defenses and no running game.

If you were a college grad fresh out of college would you join a company over in say South Dakota with people you dont know or would you stay in your area and go to a company with a CEO that you know very well? Realistic question if you look at it that way.

49ers will be drafting 20+ there is no way he lasts that long and trading up to get him would be way too expensive (three 1st round picks). The only way the 49ers have a chance is if he goes back to school and we go 2-14 next season some how or if Luck starts throwing a lot of interceptions.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OTOH, if you were a college junior and a big firm offered you millions to leave school early, with no guarantee that the money would be there the following year, would you take the money or go back to school?

Luck ain't the average bear.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see it. Elway was a unique case because he had the threat of just playing baseball instead. Luck doesn't have that. He's worth millions as a football player, and what, maybe $100K (generously, though he's still a Stanford grad) if he goes into the normal workforce. The league can't allow guys to force a team's hand, and we won't have nearly the ammunition to trade up that high unless we offered up an established player in addition to a hell of a lot of picks.

I heard Luck can stay at Stanford one more year is that not true? I dont think he would, but doesnt he have one more year left?

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OTOH, if you were a college junior and a big firm offered you millions to leave school early, with no guarantee that the money would be there the following year, would you take the money or go back to school?

Luck ain't the average bear.

My point exactly, Luck would go to San Fran so he wont have to move to a unfamiliar place again and let other guys controll his destiny.
Luck is work three #1's. We will be good and those will be picks 27-32 in my opinion. Its worth it.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That article is awesome. 2-14 isn't unreasonable. We'll be closer to 14-2 this year. Anyone who thought Harbaugh would deliberately tank to get Luck doesn't know much about Harbaugh.

Harbaugh is a man's man. He hates losing. LOL

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Jim Harbaugh can do what he did with Alex, imagine what he can do with Kaepernick! No way we trade him. With the QB whisperer at the helm, I have no doubt Kaep can become a pro-bowler.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Jim Harbaugh can do what he did with Alex, imagine what he can do with Kaepernick! No way we trade him. With the QB whisperer at the helm, I have no doubt Kaep can become a pro-bowler.

I think Harbaugh could make Shane Lechler a probowl QB you see that TD pass. LOL

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

LOL!! If Alex wins a playoff game, I have a feeling that nickname may just stick with Harbaugh.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers will be drafting 20+ there is no way he lasts that long and trading up to get him would be way too expensive (three 1st round picks). The only way the 49ers have a chance is if he goes back to school and we go 2-14 next season some how or if Luck starts throwing a lot of interceptions.

I've seen this 3 1st round draft pick thing lately, but it's not realistic for any team in the 20's.

To get an idea of what we're looking at: yesterday I thought it would be too much for the second slot team to give up it's 1st, 2013 1st, and 2014 1st picks. Looking at it closer, that might not even be enough of a premium! Based on the chances of that team picking that high again, the team sitting on Luck shouldn't "settle" for that.

I'd want minimum 1. an elite player, and 2012 first rounder, or 2. two 2012 first round picks just to get in the door before even looking at the other compensation thrown around. That extra compensation could easily include multiple future 1st round picks.

I won't say it can't happen, but it would be very difficult for the 49ers to land him.